lighting ratio in studio

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited January 16, 2007 in People
In a studio, if the main light is say f 8 and you stopped down two stops for the fill or shadow would it be f 18....hope to hear just learning about studio..janis
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    2 stops would be f16.

f stop scale.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 15, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    2 stops would be f16.

f stop scale.

Wasn't life somehow easier when SLR lenses (and interchangeable rangefinder lenses and interchangeable TLR lenses, etc.) had the full stops marked on them. With these newer "fly by wire" lenses, you just don't get the same experience. :cry

Then again, 1/3 stops control and not having to (remember to) change each lens aperture with a lens change, maybe it's not all that bad? thumb.gif

ziggy53 (Showing his age more with each passing day.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    Tangential question
    magicpic wrote:
    In a studio, if the main light is say f 8 and you stopped down two stops for the fill or shadow would it be f 18....hope to hear just learning about studio..janis
    For my own education, when one states that a light is "at" an f number, does that mean that the scene it lights meters at that f number at the system's max sync speed?

Thanks
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    For my own education, when one states that a light is "at" an f number, does that mean that the scene it lights meters at that f number at the system's max sync speed?

Thanks

Almost! Using a flash (incident) meter to measure a flash output indicates an f setting that is the effective aperture, and the shutter should be set to the sync speed "or slower", assuming that that one flash is the only source of light/illumination.

If there is ambient light, or if there are more than one contributing flash, then it is simply a measure of that particular light, and the appropriate exposure of the camera is "partially" determined by that singular measure. All sources need to be considered, as well as their ratios to each other, to determine the taking exposure.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Almost! Using a flash (incident) meter to measure a flash output indicates an f setting that is the effective aperture, and the shutter should be set to the sync speed "or slower", assuming that that one flash is the only source of light/illumination.

If there is ambient light, or if there are more than one contributing flash, then it is simply a measure of that particular light, and the appropriate exposure of the camera is "partially" determined by that singular measure. All sources need to be considered, as well as their ratios to each other, to determine the taking exposure.

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy. I was having a hard time with there not being a shutter speed specified as well. But, now that you say this, and I think about it, it doesn't matter that the shutter speed can be longer than the sync speed, since the flash duration is shorter. So, by that rationalle, once you set your aperture to the metered flash value, the more you decrease your shutter speed, the more you shift your balance toward ambient.

I've gone too many years without knowing the answer to that question :D.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy. I was having a hard time with there not being a shutter speed specified as well. But, now that you say this, and I think about it, it doesn't matter that the shutter speed can be longer than the sync speed, since the flash duration is shorter. So, by that rationalle, once you set your aperture to the metered flash value, the more you decrease your shutter speed, the more you shift your balance toward ambient.

I've gone too many years without knowing the answer to that question :D.

Absolutely!!

Ambient light is controlled by shutter speed, and flash lighting is controlled by aperture, since the flash illumination is so brief that it is not affected by shutter speed ( as long as it is in synch with the shutter opening)
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin