20D and 24-105

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 16, 2007 in Cameras
I've been eyeing that lens lately. On a full frame camera it seems to be just the perfect lens. Nice range, sure it's not 2.8, but it's IS. Seems really sweet.

I'm wondering how that lens would be on a 20D. I'd like a lens like that for shooting family gatherings, receptions, maybe...indoor shoots where I want to shoot available light, but maybe it's just out of reach of my other lenses, or just on the border.

I just wish it was a little wider on a 1.6 crop camera.

What do you all think?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I just wish it was a little wider on a 1.6 crop camera.
    Life is full of tradeoffs. This is an excellent lens on FF or 1.6 body, IMO. Pair it with a 10-22 and wham, nice range! It's superior to the alternatives you have out there.

I suppos that 17-55 EF-S is an alternative, but if you already have a 10-22, then get the 24-105L IMO. It's glass that will go with any body.

So, what's the rub, bub?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So, what's the rub, bub?

Well, now that you've confirmed what I was thinking, the rub is obtaining enough coins to rub together that I can afford it. But I think I've got my eyes set on my next major purchase.

Thanks.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    David,

I got this lens for my 20d about 6 months ago and love it. I shoot with it about 80% of the time and almost always when I am doing family sutff.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    I love the lens as well! I wish it was a wider since on my XTi it is 38mm on the short end. The F4 has low enough to have lovely bokeh and the camera is brilliant in low light situations. thumb.gif