Options

Fill the Frame

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited January 18, 2007 in People
Some shots using the full frame for the face. Children are so much fun to photograph because they are not yet self conscious enough to ruin the honesty of the shot.

24-70 L, f/5.0, 1/60, ISO 400, 580EX

117195940-L.jpg

f/4.5, 1/80

117196547-L.jpg

f/4.5, 1/80

117196405-L.jpg

f/5.0, 1/80

117196143-L.jpg

f/4.5, 1/80

117196700-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    These are awesome. I really like the B&W conversion of #2 and #3 and the additional PP of #3 that gives it that glowing feel. Very nice.

P.S. - What did you do to get that glow affect? Inquiring minds want to know.:D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    You are so right....kids are so full of expression and generally don't hold back!!! These are really great!!! (On top of that, they have really nice skin for closeups!!!) :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    #1 is simply gorgeous. I love the color here, and her one eye leaves something to the imagination, and its very compelling. Its one I keep coming back to look at. Upping the contrast in her eye may help, right now there's not much deliniation btw pupil & iris, but this is very minor. You nailed the DOF, the exposure, her charming impish grin. Well done!

#3 & #5 expressions seem a bit off, as if they're mid-blink or eyes are almost closed without purpose. Technically they're great i'm just unsure what you are trying to say.

Example, I would like #5 more if she was either obviously smelling the lollipop and enjoying it (or not) OR if her eyes were open a bit and she was simply looking at it.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    #1 is my favorite. I like that she is looking straight into the camera and doesn't mind it a bit. I like the "impish grin" as urbanaries called it. Perhaps there is some more detail that could be brought out in her brown eyes? Lucky Bob posted a snap of his dark brown eye with lots of interesting detail (see link below):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51154

Perhaps not that much detail of course but maybe a little more? I've got dark brown eyes too so I know how hard it can be to make them pop. Great photo just as it is though.

PS: I'm looking at this on a crappy laptop screen so if the eyes look interesting enough to everyone else its probably just this screen.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    These are awesome. I really like the B&W conversion of #2 and #3 and the additional PP of #3 that gives it that glowing feel. Very nice.

P.S. - What did you do to get that glow affect? Inquiring minds want to know.:D

Thank you.

I used the channel mixer with high percentages and the boosted contrast for the look you see.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    #1 is simply gorgeous. I love the color here, and her one eye leaves something to the imagination, and its very compelling. Its one I keep coming back to look at. Upping the contrast in her eye may help, right now there's not much deliniation btw pupil & iris, but this is very minor. You nailed the DOF, the exposure, her charming impish grin. Well done!

#3 & #5 expressions seem a bit off, as if they're mid-blink or eyes are almost closed without purpose. Technically they're great i'm just unsure what you are trying to say.

Example, I would like #5 more if she was either obviously smelling the lollipop and enjoying it (or not) OR if her eyes were open a bit and she was simply looking at it.

Thank you.

I was going for a dazed angelic look in #3. #5 was unplanned. I just liked it. I call it "The Lollipop Whisperer":D
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    #1 is my favorite. I like that she is looking straight into the camera and doesn't mind it a bit. I like the "impish grin" as urbanaries called it. Perhaps there is some more detail that could be brought out in her brown eyes? Lucky Bob posted a snap of his dark brown eye with lots of interesting detail (see link below):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51154

Perhaps not that much detail of course but maybe a little more? I've got dark brown eyes too so I know how hard it can be to make them pop. Great photo just as it is though.

PS: I'm looking at this on a crappy laptop screen so if the eyes look interesting enough to everyone else its probably just this screen.

Thank you.

I will try to highlight the eyes next time. This was done with just a bounced flash. To get those eyes, I'll need to ensure I get some light directly to them.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Nice stuff! The first two really work for me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    not bad not bad at all thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    all nice-

love the second one-