Auto FX Mystical Bundle (lighting & tint tone and color)

PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited January 20, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

I've been a dgrinner for a couple of years now and I don't remember if I've ever posted anything before, but you guys always seem to help each other out...SO PLEASE, SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!
I just bought this bundle and I'm about to throw it out the window!!! It's supposed to be used either as a plugin, or a stand alone application. I've used plenty of plugins before buying this one and this one by far is the most annoying I've ever used. I have a Mac and I followed the instuctions on installing into the plugin folder very carefully (like they told me to), but for some reason it wants to open up a whole new application!!! It's not at all user friendly...maybe it's just me!!! I don't know.
Anybody else use these plugins and find them annoying? I should have bought the Alien Skin package!!!!

I'm so frustrated (and sad, since I just spent a fortune on this stuff)!!!!
Somebody tell me, is it me...or should I toss this junk?
:cry :cry :cry

Thanks!!!!!!

Robyn
Robyn T. Lisone
MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    Are you trying to install the plug-in component(s) to run inside Photoshop?

What type of filters are they? .8bi .8bf or something else?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Hi David,

I'm only trying to install the components (I guess). I want to be able to just add the filters (like nik and alien skin plugins) to my Photoshop file without having to open up a whole new program. When I installed the Mystical stuff all the files/folders from the Mystical package went into the plugin folder (including the "stand alone" version). I thought I could remove it and just leave the "plugins" in the Adobe plugin folder but then my computer said "not enough memory..blah, blah, blah". I went to the autofx website and they said if you remove any of the folders from the plugin folder it will give me a warning like that....so I put them back in. Then I deinstalled the program (again) reinstalled it. Same thing.
    To answer your question though I believe the folders were .8bi or 8bf...that looks familiar (I'm not at my Mac right now but I can check when I get home).
    I'm so upset...I should have just bought the Alien Skin (since they let me try it free for 30 days without having any watermark junk on my stuff). I guess the AutoFX website just had more interesting examples and that's what sold me on them...lesson learned!!!!
    Oh well.
    Anyone want to buy my AutoFX if I can't figure it out????headscratch.gif

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited January 18, 2007
    Yeah, I just checked the Mystical Lighting and it's .8bf. What does that mean? Does it make a difference?
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited January 18, 2007
    Very odd that an entire program (was it an .EXE?) would want to install its entirety under the Photoshop area. If that's the case, you may (check with them) have a defective installer program.
    Punkybeth wrote:
    Yeah, I just checked the Mystical Lighting and it's .8bf. What does that mean? Does it make a difference?

An 8bf is a simple filter file. Sometimes these need support files in the same folder or sub-folder, and sometimes the 8bf filter type will create presets as a side file (once the filter is working).

Normally, when installing a filter manually, you just need to create a folder and dump the .8bf file into it, such as...

c:\Program Files > Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS2 > Plug-Ins > [name of filter folder name] > [name of filter].8bf
    My Smugmug
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    I've used this and it's a pita-

tech support sucks-

I've run it as a stand alone-

just move my file from ps to the program (or rather, open up the file in mystic whatever)-

if I remember correctly, when you've worked on a photo and have created some layers and then save it, you're not going to be able to open it again in mystic-

the tech guy didn't even know this-

I think you can open it in ps, but it plays havoc with the file-

I wasn't bowled over by the program; hopefully others will respond who have fared better with it-
    edited January 18, 2007
    My Smugmug
    edited January 18, 2007
    Well, thanks for the info guys! I wish I had done more research before buying this!!!! Lesson learned!

Now I'm off to unload this piece of junk!!!

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I have a couple of the AutoEfex softwares including the Mystical Lighting. You are right, it is like installing the entire program on PS rather than individual filters. I don't have Alien Skin so I can't compare, I do have Nik filters and they are individually installed. I mainly use Visual Photographer, which is a freebie....it is also a program within a program, but much more user friendly. When you choose Mystical from the filter menu, choose Presets which will give you a list of the varied filters. Then a new screen pops up and you can accept their version or you can modify it to your hearts content. I have a much older version, but I imagine it's similar. It is cumbersome and definitely more for people who like to experiment with their software. I'd prefer to just plug it in and go!!! Installed in PS it definitely becomes a program within a program! I was just reading David's 2nd link. I have never experienced the crashing people are writing about. Is it illegal to sell 2nd hand software if you haven't registered it yet??? That's not really 2nd hand IMO.ne_nau.gif
    edited January 18, 2007
    Punkybeth wrote:
    Well, thanks for the info guys! I wish I had done more research before buying this!!!! Lesson learned!
    Now I'm off to unload this piece of junk!!!
    Robyn

Robyn, just a couple suggestions. Would it be worth it to try to post some questions in a product related forum first -- to attempt to receive more specific help than this forum can give you?

Maybe a call to the company mentioning your situation and this thread? I would think it would be in their primary interest to help service their existing customers, keep them, and gain new customers by solving your problem and proving themselves worthy.

Make them earn their money.
    My Smugmug
    edited January 20, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find on other forums, and then get in touch wih the company itself. I'm sure I can work with it, but it's just not at all what I had expected...Photoshop is complicated enough (and I've been using it for nine years now...it's still got things that I need to learn), now I need to figure out a whole new program...ughhh!!!

Saurora...I use the Vitual Photographer at work and it's great...but at work I use a PC. At home I have all Macs...so I can't use it here. For a free filter kit, it is wonderful!!! I wish they made a Mac version.
    Robyn T. Lisone

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    Punkybeth wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find on other forums, and then get in touch wih the company itself. I'm sure I can work with it, but it's just not at all what I had expected...Photoshop is complicated enough (and I've been using it for nine years now...it's still got things that I need to learn), now I need to figure out a whole new program...ughhh!!!

Saurora...I use the Vitual Photographer at work and it's great...but at work I use a PC. At home I have all Macs...so I can't use it here. For a free filter kit, it is wonderful!!! I wish they made a Mac version.

robyn-

it's fairly intuitive, using the actual program-

but the installation, what it does to the files, I dunno-

good luck talking to the company-

I wasn't impressed, but then, maybe they weren't impressed with me-