Options

in class DOF practice

DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited January 20, 2007 in People
I'm taking a Photography I class to learn more about my camera, the first day we were learning about depth of field. We were told to try to get selective focus and a wide focus. i don't really like wide focus so here's one of the selectives that i picked out of the bunch.
001992.jpg
http://www.derno.net
Canon Rebel XT

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    since you're in a class, you would know better than me, but I wouldn't look at this and see "selective", I'd call it back-focused, or something like that. the two people furthest away both seem about equally focused.

if your depth was even narrower (which I realize is tough looking at all the lenses in the photo), and just the third young lady was in sharp focus, but the last young man was again blurry, that'd say selective. to me at least.

I'm thinking f/2.8 or less is really necessary for an eye-catching selective grab
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    So many rebels I thought it was the civil war!
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    I can't wait until I can take a Photography I class!
  • Options
    hysonhyson Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    SuperJared wrote:
    So many rebels I thought it was the civil war!

Ha, what a great comment.
    Pentax *ist DL | Sony Cybershot DSC-S60
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    jsedlak wrote:
    I can't wait until I can take a Photography I class!

After looking at your galleries, part of me says maybe you should look forward to taking a class or two. naughty.gif

But that wouldn't be any nicer than the comment you made on the original poster's desire to learn to become a better photographer. So I won't! lol3.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    After looking at your galleries, part of me says maybe you should look forward to taking a class or two. naughty.gif

But that wouldn't be any nicer than the comment you made on the original poster's desire to learn to become a better photographer. So I won't! lol3.gif

uh..... thanks for the insult...? headscratch.gif

I was just saying that because I had planned on taking Photo I this semester, but it doesn't really fit into my schedule and isn't optimal for me to take... I didn't mean to insinuate that the OP needed to take the class or anything. The post just re-ignited thoughts about taking the class..
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    jsedlak wrote:
    uh..... thanks for the insult...? headscratch.gif

I was just saying that because I had planned on taking Photo I this semester, but it doesn't really fit into my schedule and isn't optimal for me to take... I didn't mean to insinuate that the OP needed to take the class or anything. The post just re-ignited thoughts about taking the class..

Well, then shame on me! Standard problem with e-mail and forum postings. I thought you were being snarky :pissed and not nice. Me big boo-boo! rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Well, then shame on me! Standard problem with e-mail and forum postings. I thought you were being snarky :pissed and not nice. Me big boo-boo! rolleyes1.gif

That is ok... If you really do have problems or constructive criticism about my photos / work, please feel free to PM or E-Mail me! thumb.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I like the shot. I do find the pins on the back wall a little distracting.

Great civil war comment too! clap.gif
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos