Pictures Look Blurred

jktmillerjktmiller Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed that when I upload pictures on my site, that they look blurred. You can't really tell the full detail of the picture. How do you save these to make them upload with a better quality? I use photoshop elements, and I didn't know if there is a certain setting to save these pictures under to make them look clearer!?

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    jktmiller wrote:
    I've noticed that when I upload pictures on my site, that they look blurred. You can't really tell the full detail of the picture. How do you save these to make them upload with a better quality? I use photoshop elements, and I didn't know if there is a certain setting to save these pictures under to make them look clearer!?
    Hi JKT wave.gif

Welcome to dgrin!

Do you have a link to some of the images that are blurry so we can have a look? Thanks!

Uploading can best be done in the original resolution.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Well, for me that's not always the case. I have many galleries that are web only and not used for print sales. So I created a couple of actions in PSCS2 to resize the veritcals to 450 pixels tall, the horizontals to 500 pixels wide, 72 dpi, highest possible jpeg quality. I run an unsharp mask of around 30, .5, 2 for these images and save 'em as 8-bit, sRGBs with a copyright on 'em.

To me, these images look better on the web than if I upload the high res print versions. But... the trade-off is that these can't be used for print orders. That's okay, if it's a gallery offering print orders, I actually create a seperate gallery (and link) to the ordering page. Since I limit my print sales to 30-days after the event, I just disable (private and password protect) these print galleries and leave the original web res gallery intact.

Yup-- it's more work and may seem crazy to some, but it seems to work well for me.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    ...except for some circumstances where you are wanting to upload them very small, and not want them available larger, or for printing.

:D
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    ...except for some circumstances where you are wanting to upload them very small, and not want them available larger, or for printing.

:D

Well said. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+