HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited January 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Whaddya think? too bright?

123796832-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    A tighter crop on the cheese plate may make a stronger photo. I like it however, nicely done. - Dizzy
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    The brightness of the background distracts me from the main subject of the photo. Combined with the shallow depth of focus, it's jarring. In other words, the bright lighting draws my eye to the background, but then the out of focus background makes me struggle to determine what's there. While this is going on, however briefly, I'm not looking at the cheese.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Hi, HiSPL
    I agree with Dizzy a tighter crop on the top will help.
    You might even want to do a micro of the cheese.

Good Luck,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    http://www.modellocate.com/action/goto/uid=4447
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    How about a square comp? I also bumped down the Brightness/Contrast a touch on this one.

124289707-L.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I like this composition much better than the original. The curve of the bread slices bring you back to the cheese nicely and you still have a little of the napkin? (haven't been able to figure out the piece of cloth at the top) for some variation. Nice work! - Dizzy
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    The cloth in the back was draped up like a seamless back ground. I had a makeshift light tent set up for some eBay pics I was doing and I decided to use it for this too. The "tablecloth" is really a yellow bedsheet. This was lit by 2 small camera flashes. One a canon 155 speedlight was in the rear backlighting the plate for some texture, the other was a nameless pentax flash with a 1/8 cto gel to warm it up. It was placed to the camera's right to fill in under the plate, and warm up the bread crusts.

Funny thing is, I spent more time dressing the background than anything else, so I hated to cut it out, but in the end I like the cropped version better.

Thanks! thumb.gif