McNaughts

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Holy Macro
We had clear skies tonight :clap so I had a perfect opportunity to capture the comet just after the sun set. Definitely a pretty impressive experience.
I've only had a quick once over of the shots and will process them better when I get home but thought I'd share some early results.

123830624-L.jpg

123830003-L.jpg

123831222-L.jpg

Any comments and or crtique would be greatly appreciated so I can go back and try some better settings hopefully friday night weather permitting.
These are all shot at ISO 100 F7.1 and varying shutter speeds as the sun set.
May I take your picture?

Comments

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Great pics of the comet, even the second one looks really sharp (was that a crop of the first one?). What lens were you using?

After my attempt, I just wished I had used a bigger lens.

The comet looked good for us up on the North half, but you guys down South half are suppose to really get a great show. I read somewhere today, that its suppose to be visible in broad daylight if you can block out the sun!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Fantastic! Much higher in the sky then we had up north and it seems brighter too - the tail is definitely longer than when I saw it - nice stuff! thumb.gif
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Fantastic! Much higher in the sky then we had up north and it seems brighter too - the tail is definitely longer than when I saw it - nice stuff! thumb.gif

Cheers for the comments, the photo's were taken with a 100-400L. The second shots is at 400mm whereas the first and third are at about 135, just to get some other detail in the photo to get some perspective.
    As far as seeing it during the day, there is a photo floating about of it taken in daylight but I couldn't see it until about 5mins after the sun dropped below the horizon.
    May I take your picture?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    mushy wrote:
    We had clear skies tonight clap.gif so I had a perfect opportunity to capture the comet just after the sun set. Definitely a pretty impressive experience.
    I've only had a quick once over of the shots and will process them better when I get home but thought I'd share some early results.

Any comments and or crtique would be greatly appreciated so I can go back and try some better settings hopefully friday night weather permitting.
    These are all shot at ISO 100 F7.1 and varying shutter speeds as the sun set.

Awwww cool you lucky son of a gun, I tried to see it last night but too many clouds........ yours are the clearest shots Ive seen so far clap.gif
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Amazing ! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Nice shots. First one is the best.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Great shot mate....i cannot believe how many days we have had heavy cloud to the west at sunset. Im not enjoying not being able to get it.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Much better
    than what I was able to see! Looks a lot brighter and more defined than what I saw filtered thru salt haze.

Someone in Europe was able to see the comet during the day, but altho I looked I couldn't find it.

I look forward to all of you "down under" people posting great comet shots. Sure wish I could have gotten better ones. Oh well, sigh!
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Thanks again for all the great comments thumb.gif Fingers crossed I can get back down tonight with a more sturdy tripod to fight the wind a little better.
    I'm also looking forward to seeing a few other down under sightings. Although I know Gus is having absolutley no luck with the clouds around, I hope he and everyone else gets at least one opportunity to see and photograph the comet.
    May I take your picture?
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Me too!
    mushy wrote:
    Thanks again for all the great comments thumb.gif Fingers crossed I can get back down tonight with a more sturdy tripod to fight the wind a little better.
    I'm also looking forward to seeing a few other down under sightings. Although I know Gus is having absolutley no luck with the clouds around, I hope he and everyone else gets at least one opportunity to see and photograph the comet.

I had horrible wind my first comet sighting too and it's unusually cold here in "Sunny California."

The comet was much lower (closer to the horizon) than what you are seeing, so you guys and gals should get some much better shots! Good Luck and happy viewing.
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    There I was searching the "Nature" forum thinking the Heavens were part of nature and there was this and other threads in this forum. I see the good moderator moved my thread into this forum at
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52157

Maybe being further south we are closer to the comet?? :D