UK Based printers

EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 21, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys.

I'm UK based and a few of my friends have mentioned that they were put off from ordering prints because they come from the US.

Do you have any plans to source UK based printer?

I'm remember reading that you haven't found another printer worth their salt anywhere else in the world, etc, etc. I think people like my friends aren't necessarily after the best, just something local. It's more mental perception than actual distance or the fact that they come from the US.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask. :)

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I have exactly this issue!

But I have a solution... I tell anyone that asks that the prints from the US arrive quickly are of better quality than i can find in the UK and offer a guarentee that can not be matched anywhere.

Also comparable in price! especiall if you are looking at the bigger images.

The only UK company I have found to be 'acceptable' in quality are snapfish, they dont offer the guarentee however or quite match the quality.

If and when Smugmug do get a uk printer i will be happy as delivery will be quicker but for know it really is a non issue.

Also the great dollar to pund exchange rate makes things a bargain.

for example a 16" x 24" for $19.99 plus postage of say $5 works out at about £13

a A2 image (closest size match 16.5" x 23.4") from photobox is £13.99 + £1.50 postage!

So smugmug is actually a tiny bit cheaper!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I do tell them about the virtues of Smugmug and their customer support, but the girls (Is it only girls who buy prints? :D ) just don't think in those clear and logical terms. They seem stuck on the single fact that it's not printed in the UK which = hassle in their eyes.

*shrugs*
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Ephemeral wrote:
    Hi guys.

I'm UK based and a few of my friends have mentioned that they were put off from ordering prints because they come from the US.

Do you have any plans to source UK based printer?

I'm remember reading that you haven't found another printer worth their salt anywhere else in the world, etc, etc. I think people like my friends aren't necessarily after the best, just something local. It's more mental perception than actual distance or the fact that they come from the US.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask. :)
    We'd love to, we have no such plans in the near-term, sorry. We do have tons and tons of print orders from all over the world, all the time, shipping out of our lab. Including the UK.
    edited January 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We'd love to, we have no such plans in the near-term, sorry. We do have tons and tons of print orders from all over the world, all the time, shipping out of our lab. Including the UK.

Andy have you at least considered having it able to show print costs etc in £ sterling? I thing that would work well and if they select pounds there could be a short message about delivery times/process etc.?

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    Andy have you at least considered having it able to show print costs etc in £ sterling? I thing that would work well and if they select pounds there could be a short message about delivery times/process etc.?
    If we could do that, we would. As of now, we have no way to do that, sorry.

You should put a link to something like www.xe.com in your ordering info page, folks can easily see what their USD converts to in £ sterling. You can also put a link to the shipping info page as well.
    edited January 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    If we could do that, we would. As of now, we have no way to do that, sorry.

You should put a link to something like www.xe.com in your ordering info page, folks can easily see what their USD converts to in £ sterling. You can also put a link to the shipping info page as well.

Thats fair enough I guess you had already thought of that! To be honest I just get everyone to buy through me and show the prices on a seperate page, Its working for me and i can also ensure the crop etc is correct.

• JauntyJaunty Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:

Also the great dollar to pound exchange rate makes things a bargain.

for example a 16" x 24" for $19.99 plus postage of say $5 works out at about £13

a A2 image (closest size match 16.5" x 23.4") from photobox is £13.99 + £1.50 postage!

So smugmug is actually a tiny bit cheaper!
    Hi. Can you/anyone in UK who has ordered from Smugmug let me know if you ever get charged VAT or Duty on top of the Smugmug costs?

Thanks
    edited January 21, 2007
    Jaunty wrote:
    Hi. Can you/anyone in UK who has ordered from Smugmug let me know if you ever get charged VAT or Duty on top of the Smugmug costs?

Thanks

I havent yet! (touch wood)

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Jaunty wrote:

Thanks
    I've never heard any of our customers being charged VAT/Duty on their prints. I live in the Netherlands, and have never been charged for that either.