Reccomended Settings

vandecarrvandecarr Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited January 21, 2007 in Technique
Hi,
I shoot mostly portraits and I was told by another portrsit photographer that I shoud set my Rebel xt parameter as follows:

Parameter 1: SETUP:
SIZE - Fine
SATURATION - MINUS 1
CONTRAST - MINUS 2
SHARPNESS - PLUS 2
FLASH - E-TTL with no exposure compensation
METERING MODE: Multizone (eyeball with two parenthesis)

Here is my question: Do you agree with this? Do you have a different or better reccomendation?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    Mike,
    I think it would be wise of you to sit down with your manual and learn a little bit what these settings mean, so you better understand what you are actually doing.

For example...
    do you know what that causes the camera to do? And what about if you remove the parentheses? Do you know what that does? Your Canon manual will tell you nod.gif

If you still have questions (you should, or probably will), come on back with ones that will actually improve your technique, not just your settings. Make sense?

FWIW, all these custom parameters:
    SATURATION - MINUS 1
    CONTRAST - MINUS 2
    SHARPNESS - PLUS 2
    are a moot point if you are shooting in RAW, which is what I would recommend for static portraiture. Even if not shooting in RAW, these can all be addressed in your post-processing and are not the end-all be-all for a good portait. Much more important to get right at the time of shoot is your exposure.

So my answer to your question: I tend to disagree, but again, these settings are of much less importance than others, in my opinion.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

You really need to understand what those setting mean rather than set up he camera by rote. Why did he pick those particular parameters? What situation?

For example, my own most common settings are quite different. Size is RAW and I don't use on-camera flash (built-in or hotshoe-mount), so none of the rest really matter except metering. For me metering is typically Center-weight, in studio it really doesn't matter. The question is: why? I know (to be kind: center weight because I usually shoot theater & the middle of the frame matters far more than the edges to me, in studio I set my strobes by light meter & run the camera in Manual--so metering mode is moot).

I think you would be better served starting at 0 on all and finding out what those settings change. Then decide if you really like that look.
  • vandecarrvandecarr Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    fellas, I know what they mean. I've been in the photo business for several years.

It was just a question.

I set my parameters just slight;y different when using a flash and was interested in what some of you do.

I shoot jpeg and have no need to shoot raw regardless of the debate on which is better and why.

I do this for a living, I know what I'm doing so easy on the attitudes.

FWIW,
    Mike
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:
    I know what I'm doing so easy on the attitudes.
    Whoa, we were just trying to answer in a helpful manner.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:

I do this for a living, I know what I'm doing so easy on the attitudes.

FWIW,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to Dgrin. Doc and claudermilk are trying to be helpful, as they have been for a long time around here. We all just want to help :D So, settle in, and we'll all learn something thumb.gif And have a little patience and understanding with folks, mkay?
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    to answer to the parameters: I find it weird to put those settings in minus...
    Not something I would do personally... ;o)))
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    No good deed goes unpunished....ne_nau.gif

I fail to see where either Doc or my posts had any "attitude" -- we just suggested that the use of the settings be understood. From the original post it sure didn't strike me that you already knew. Sorry for trying to help.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    ***slowly backing out of this room***:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:
    Hi,
    I shoot mostly portraits and I was told by another portrsit photographer that I shoud set my Rebel xt parameter as follows:

Parameter 1: SETUP:
    SIZE - Fine
    SATURATION - MINUS 1
    CONTRAST - MINUS 2
    SHARPNESS - PLUS 2
    FLASH - E-TTL with no exposure compensation

Here is my question: Do you agree with this? Do you have a different or better reccomendation?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike,

I would not do sharpening in camera. It tends to be a little heavy-handed and coarse compared to what can be done in PS.

Multizone metering can be influenced by the background, so you should not trust it to be absolutely accurate.

The E-TTL II can be accurate, depending on many things, like ISO and the particular flash. As a rule, I have found Canon E-TTL II to yield results that are a little darker than necessary. I tend to run +2/3 FEC on the flash (Sigma 500 Super) unless I need to protect the highlights. (Studio and simple slaved flashes should be managed manually.)

You definitely need to experiment to see what works for you, your flash, your print service, etc.

Is that what you were looking for?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • vandecarrvandecarr Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    thanks for the extra info.

I have actually tryed these settings that were mentioned and am really happy with the results.

I took several shots with these settings as well as with them all centered and it really does make a big difference for the better.

I do enhance them afterwards in ps most of the time but i think the skin tones, especially, look much better, out of the camera, with the settings as describbed above then.

Thanks,
    Mike