Options

Mac Mini--no excuse now, folks

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited February 5, 2005 in The Big Picture
Starting at $499, you can now be the proud owner of a Macintosh.

Mac Mini
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Starting at $499, you can now be the proud owner of a Macintosh.

Mac Mini
    Beat me to it :)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    no way, i was just looking for this a few hours ago! Been reading the spy reports and rumors for weeks!!!!

Oh my, what do I have to sell now... Anyone need a 75-300mm IS lens???

all mac house, here I come!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    I was going to buy this mini-mac but hey how much you want for that lens....
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    I was going to buy this mini-mac but hey how much you want for that lens....

I'm betting he wants $499.... Laughing.gif!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    I have an excuse!!!
    The $499 price point is about $498.97 out of my price range right now :D

Cool looking machine though.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    By the time I added RAM and other stuff I was up to $952. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    By the time I added RAM and other stuff I was up to $952. headscratch.gif

You're point being what? Do the same thing to a Dell, you arrive at the same price tag. But with the Mac your life is a lot easier.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    You're point being what? Do the same thing to a Dell, you arrive at the same price tag. But with the Mac your life is a lot easier.
    Well, with a Dell you'd also get a monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and another optical drive...
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    Life will be easier, till the wife finds out :>
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Being recognized "pc fan" and all..
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Life will be easier, till the wife finds out :>
    .. I just ordered a $3,000 Dell XPS system.
    3.4Ghz P4 w/HT, dual optical drives, 160Gb 7200 rpm HDD, 20" widescreen rotatable LCD monitor (1000:1, 12 ms response), Win XP Pro..deal.gif

No payments for 90 days. No interest until 2006. thumb.gif

I don't care about the size or looks, I need a workhorse.

Wifie approved:-)clap.gif

Absolutely no pun intended!:D

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Well, with a Dell you'd also get a monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and another optical drive...

And a Celeron processor, most likely. Cheap printer. Cheap monitor. Its not the same as a Mac. And you'll never need to re-install your operating system.

The Mac mini is meant for switchers. Already have a monitor? Here's a cheap way to switch to a better computer.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    I bet I can get an A/B switch and put tis little guy on my desk ight next to the external hard drives and DVD burner :>
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    And a Celeron processor, most likely. Cheap printer. Cheap monitor. Its not the same as a Mac. And you'll never need to re-install your operating system.

The Mac mini is meant for switchers. Already have a monitor? Here's a cheap way to switch to a better computer.

I'm already a switcher and the miniMAC looks kind of interesting - a neat way to put my existing LCDs and keyboards to work for an internet access device in my office. Hmmm.... And Apple stock went down today too?? I may need to buy some of that also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    Actually, you can get this:

Pentium® 4 Processor 520 with HT Technology (2.80GHz, 800 FSB)
    512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)
    80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    15 in (15.0 in viewable) E153FP Flat Panel Display
    Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

For $829

I was wrong, no printer bundled. And it's not cute.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    Kinda sorry I started this thread.

You all know where I stand on the whole PC/MAC thing, but let's just enjoy this little marvel and just get along. If the peecee crowd can't appreciate what we've got, then so be it.

The little thing sure is cute, though, huh?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    How easy would it to buy a few of these and have them work as a cluster for distributed computing? Hmm...I'll have to give it a few weeks and see what other geeks like me come up with.

This is my other thought. It's the same size as the stereo in most cars. Put this with a bluetooth keyboard & mouse, a few displays & your set.

Anyone want to give it a go?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

You all know where I stand on the whole PC/MAC thing, but let's just enjoy this little marvel and just get along. If the peecee crowd can't appreciate what we've got, then so be it.

I share your sentiment. But think about the provocative nature of your thread title. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I share your sentiment. But think about the provocative nature of your thread title. naughty.gif
    Yeah, but my non-provocative titles don't get nearly the action!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Actually, you can get this:

Pentium® 4 Processor 520 with HT Technology (2.80GHz, 800 FSB)
    512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)
    80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    15 in (15.0 in viewable) E153FP Flat Panel Display
    Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

For $829

I was wrong, no printer bundled. And it's not cute.

Mini Mac with 512M and 80G and keyboard and mouse: $682. And a cheap flat panel and the price delta is nil. All you are missing is the dual drives. What you gain is a computer that simply works.

And start adding the price of the equivalent software of the likes of iLife to the Dell.

I worked for Texas Instruments in the early 90s (chip sets for PC's), then Motorola (on PowerPC), and now AMD (x86 world again). Having been this immersed in the industry, trust me, there is a reason I'm still an Apple fan...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

What do you mean? Nobody has said anything bad about the new Mac, or the old ones either. I just have been looking at the Dell site recently for my mother-in-law, so I had some info. No big deal.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    trust me, there is a reason I'm still an Apple fan...
    I trust you. It's the reverse that doesn't seem to be the case. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Mini Mac with 512M and 80G and keyboard and mouse: $682. And a cheap flat panel and the price delta is nil. All you are missing is the dual drives. What you gain is a computer that simply works.
    {sigh} OK, so go get a 15" LCD and an external CD-RW or DVD-ROM for $140 if you want.

For the last time. I do not hate Apple. I was just commenting on someone saying with more RAM and stuff the Macmini is $900+, and then someone else saying that a Dell is the same price. I happened to know that wasn't accurate, and wasn't "apples to apples", pardon the pun.

If you folks would get off your soap boxes for a minute, you might notice that not everyone is anti-Mac, and that just because someone offers a fact that may not be in your favor, that doesn't mean they are slamming your computer of choice.

Geez.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    Alright, a little heat! Been a while. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Alright, a little heat! Been a while. naughty.gif
    Not on this end, Waxy. Sorry to spoil your fun! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Not on this end, Waxy. Sorry to spoil your fun! rolleyes1.gif
    Apples rule the world, all other computers suck. : blbl.gif

ear.gif

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Come on, David, don't be, it's fun!
    DavidTO wrote:

Of course it's cute. And of course it's an engineering marvel.thumb.gif

I have always been fascinated by Mr. Steve Jobs' engineering ingenuity. Once I got a chance to work with NeXT (if anybody still remembers such thing:-) - what an awesome machine that was..

Unfortunately, its own elitism carried the lethal poison. It was too expensive. There was no software. You'd have to create your own (Mac programmers - not "apple scripters" - please stand up and be counted:-), or pay a hefty amount of money to some person geeky enough to create one for you. That is if you manage to find this person first, and, secondly, this person manages to deliver the requested product "in time and on budget"..

"Machine for switchers", says you? Not likely, says I.
    It's not "a machine" that counts. It's a software you run on it. More precisely - it's the real life tasks you're able to solve with its help.
    You heard the old marketing pitch for Black&Dekker: "We're not selling drills. We're selling holes". Pay $499 - yeah, sure, it a fine price. Oh, you'd also need a keyboard. And a printer. And none of your software packages you have paid for (and spend time learning) would run on it - so you would have to buy them again. And learn them again. And yes, you probably won't need to re-learn Photoshop - $649 entry ticket covers the compatibility issues.
    Add a few more convenience tools, add some hardware which simply could not fit into 6"x6" - and your light, elegant, small, cheap $499 pearl box transforms into $1800..$2200 collection of hardware and software, interconnected with the same amount of cables I showed you guys today:-)

That also goes to the "you never have to change your OS again" statement. I assume that implies you all are still running Apple Lisa, right? Or am I deeply mistaken and Tiger was introduced 10 years ago, in 1993? Or it's simply the same thing?:-)

----
    Once again, I agree - it is a very nice piece of hardware. Really neatly done. Very stylish. A real gem.
    Unfortunately, it cannot run Half-Life 2. Or Doom 3. Or Delphi/C#.. None of the "holes" I need are available...
    But it surely looks great!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    rolleyes1.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about!

naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    I foresee many companies buying these as thin clients for their employees. This way, they can't install crappy spyware and security is rock solid. I'm quite happy that Mac stepped up their game to include the lower price point.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    I foresee many companies buying these as thin clients for their employees. This way, they can't install crappy spyware and security is rock solid. I'm quite happy that Mac stepped up their game to include the lower price point.
    I read an interesting piece on the market economics of cheap boxes. Apparently only Dell makes a profit on them. Plus, Apple will have to learn how to market them and distribute them. No more "image" ads... instead, price-point type inserts in the Sunday paper, etc. An interesting challenge.
    Sid.
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Of course it's cute. And of course it's an engineering marvel.thumb.gif

I have always been fascinated by Mr. Steve Jobs' engineering ingenuity. Once I got a chance to work with NeXT (if anybody still remembers such thing:-) - what an awesome machine that was..

...and, of course, being Silicon Valley, there's a story here. Baldy used to work at NeXT, with His Holiness, all the time.

And I have something like 7 NeXTs gathering dust in my garage... They're special though: id Software built Wolfenstein3D and the first DOOM on these very machines.

They were sweet in their day. Mac OS X is essentially NeXTStep (the similarities are frightening. Especially when it (rarely) crashes and gives a NeXT error code!). There's another story buried here, too, that I leave up to Baldy to tell, if he will. Short version: In a twisted sort of way, he's partially responsible for Apple buying NeXT.

Don