Challenge 30: Landrum

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited January 17, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, here is my first attempt. This is more challenging than I first thought...

14069999-L.jpg

This is my daughter's nap today. I don't know if this is even a good subject. Please give me some feedback on the photographs, layout and subject.

Thanks!
Laurie
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    Okay, here is my first attempt. This is more challenging than I first thought...

14069999-L.jpg

This is my daughter's nap today. I don't know if this is even a good subject. Please give me some feedback on the photographs, layout and subject.

Thanks!
    Laurie
    Oh yes.. it's adorable!! my first thought was.. should it go the other way.. like number one standing.. number two half in etc.. rolleyes1.gif great job laurie! I love itclap.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    I think its very cute and well presented.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    It made me smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    That is too cute. I agree, you may want it to go the other way :D . I love the colors!
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Okay, how about this:

14087559-L.jpg
    If you flip the bottom two photos, then you have the actual order from her nap.

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Very cute! nod.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    The bottom one, with her butt sticking out, is great! A really nice sequence, and I agree: great color selection, too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 12, 2005
    Here is something else that I thought of. Not sure how it fits in...what do you all think?

14090332-L.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 12, 2005
    Hmmm, not so flattering or lovely, In My Humble Opinion. Worth trying, just to test the waters, though. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 12, 2005
    Thank you everyone for you compliments on the nap sequence. I didn't really know if it would work or not.
    wxwax wrote:
    The bottom one, with her butt sticking out, is great! A really nice sequence, and I agree: great color selection, too.
    Adrian loves sleeping with her butt in the air. That's her get ready to fall asleep position. I never thought that I would ever have fun photographing a sleeping baby. Boy does parenthood change you...!

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Cute!!!
    landrum wrote:
    Thank you everyone for you compliments on the nap sequence. I didn't really know if it would work or not.

Adrian loves sleeping with her butt in the air. That's her get ready to fall asleep position. I never thought that I would ever have fun photographing a sleeping baby. Boy does parenthood change you...!
    Hi Laurie!

I think you've come up with a winner! The naptime series seems to fit the triptych bill perfectly, and it's so charming and sweet...brings back memories of my little girl (who is now almost 26 years old!).

Good Luck in the contest!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    landrum wrote:

Laurie, I find it an extremely harmonic triptych: the atmosphere, the colours, the subject, all combine in perfection!iloveyou.gif

As you wrote, sometimes we just do not imagine that, no matter how trivial or plain subjects or scenes may look, we can always make excellent pics out of them!

Roger
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I like the second sequence better. Got a good one there, colors and sublect.
    -Mike
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    landrum wrote:

Thanks!
    Laurie

These are great... It's kinda funny because I took this pic on Christmas vacation while staying at my inlaws.

I know my children are in bed... out of bed... in bed... have you tried these shots in this order
    1. in bed foot out
    2. out of bed
    3. full bed, bottoms up

I think that would flow. at least that's kinda how it works in my home
    :D

have you tried making it bw or duotones?

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited January 14, 2005
    johno wrote:
    These are great... It's kinda funny because I took this pic on Christmas vacation while staying at my inlaws.

I know my children are in bed... out of bed... in bed... have you tried these shots in this order
    1. in bed foot out
    2. out of bed
    3. full bed, bottoms up

I think that would flow. at least that's kinda how it works in my home
    :D

have you tried making it bw or duotones?

peace.
    johno~
    Love that photo! Why is it so hard to stay in the bed??? I haven't tried in b&w or duotones...I'll try it and see what they look like.

I'm still trying to think of another subject for this one, but I'm drawing a blank. I may have lucked out on getting this nap! ne_nau.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    Okay, how about this:

14087559-L.jpg
    If you flip the bottom two photos, then you have the actual order from her nap.
    rolleyes1.gif This is it - What a funny sequence! Well done...
    Cheers, Bee
    edited January 17, 2005
    I've done another one that I tried to keep in the more traditional sense of triptych. What do you think of it? Which one do you think is better for the entry?

14335245-L.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 17, 2005
    thumb.gif Very nice idea! Something different. Well executed, I like it. nod.gif The only image that jars a little bit is the feet. Must be their shape. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Fantastic idea and beautiful execution!

I just have a problem with the bottom frame ... it kind of doesn't flow like the top two that are continuous.

headscratch.gifHey Nir, is it her thighs you wanna see?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
    edited January 17, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Fantastic idea and beautiful execution!

I just have a problem with the bottom frame ... it kind of doesn't flow like the top two that are continuous.

headscratch.gifHey Nir, is it her thighs you wanna see?
    Here's another one with legs. I had a hard time figuring which parts to use on this. I really need 4 panels! I can include more legs and feet but the bottom panel will have to be as large as the middle and I thought that would feel a little off balance and the proportion would be off. I dunno...headscratch.gif

14351007-L.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 17, 2005
    Okay, I think that this has a better flow. Comments?

14353397-L.jpg

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Very nice. That one flows much better. Very cool idea. bowdown.gif