indoor sports lens 1.8----1.4

dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
edited January 19, 2007 in Cameras
if I want to start shooting some indoor basketball or swim, what are everybodies thoughts on lenses.?

50mm--1.4f or 85mm--1.8f

I was thinking more reach & giving up the .4f.....but I'd like all the info I can get from some who do this.

thanks guys!
dave
**If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
Dave

Comments

• blackholewonblackholewon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Close Ups
    You need close ups so don't count on the 50mm. There is some great glass at 2.0 and 2.8 that will work great. If action is real fast moving and the ight is low you'll need flash - proper flash. So if it is 50mm vs 85mm, I'd go with the 85. You might look at a 28-135 2.8 as well.

blackholewon
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    if I want to start shooting some indoor basketball or swim, what are everybodies thoughts on lenses.?

50mm--1.4f or 85mm--1.8f

I was thinking more reach & giving up the .4f.....but I'd like all the info I can get from some who do this.

thanks guys!
    dave

Dave,

It looks like you shoot Nikon. (It's always good to include the platform in your question.)

I think the 50mm is gonna be pretty short for sports, and even the 85 isn't that long, unless you live around one of the baskets or goals etc.

A more typical lens would be the Nikkor 135mm f/2.0D AF DC, or the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 ED AF-D or Nikkor 70-200 VR ED IF AF-S VR.

Count on using your best technique, and highest ISO. Good noise reduction software is invaluable.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    terrific advice ....thanks
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    The 85/1.8 seems to be a very popular basketball lens. On the Canon front the 85/1.8 is a very fast focusing lens, whereas the 50/1.4 is a slow focuser (yes, I know its USM) and can hunt in low light. I know some have used a 70-200/2.8 as well. Don't go past a 2.8 though, unless you put up a few strobes in the rafters.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu