Last summer's dragons

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Holy Macro
I finally got around to post processing a couple of images from last summer -can't wait for the next generation of these guys to come out!

124091300-L.jpg

124091279-L.jpg

C&C always welcome!
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Welcome back Dalen !! was missing your great macros
    wonderful i loved 1st
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Welcome back Dalen !! was missing your great macros
    wonderful i loved 1st

Thanks Awais!

I need to do some still life macros around the house just to get some practice -I haven't manually focus a lens in months and if I don't start practicing now I won't be ready for the critters... :cry
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I finally got around to post processing a couple of images from last summer -can't wait for the next generation of these guys to come out!
    C&C always welcome!

Ahhhhhhhhh Mr Dalantech the man with the never ending supply of Dragonflies ..... ya lucky buggar! rolleyes1.gif two beauties thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Lovely shots Dalantech - something to look forward to for next year :)

Any ideas on the pose in #1 ?
    I originally though this was a threat/alarm pose but was told by someone else that it's a cooling off pose (ie the dragonfly points the end of it's tail at the sun to reduce the radiation hitting the body)
    Brian V.
  • wolfwoodswolfwoods Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    May I add mine?
    I have admired dragonfly photos for some time. Your subjects appear to be much more colorful and interesting than the critters that come to my yard. This was really my first attempt at a shot like this...I don't really have the right lens. We have a small pond garden in the back yard and this guy had successful hunting for a couple weeks. He was a very cooperative subject.

http://www.imagengineer.smugmug.com/gallery/1753657/3/86857274

Comments are welcome.
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    These are great.
    edited January 21, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ahhhhhhhhh Mr Dalantech the man with the never ending supply of Dragonflies ..... ya lucky buggar! rolleyes1.gif two beauties thumb.gif ... Skippy

I'm lucky in that there is a bike trail around the lake where I shoot -makes getting close to them easier than if I had to mess with reeds and bushes.
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited January 21, 2007
    Lovely shots Dalantech - something to look forward to for next year :)

Any ideas on the pose in #1 ?
    I originally though this was a threat/alarm pose but was told by someone else that it's a cooling off pose (ie the dragonfly points the end of it's tail at the sun to reduce the radiation hitting the body)
    Brian V.

Dead on Brian -they point their tails to the sun so that the total surface area that the light is hitting is lower. It's their only way to deal with the heat.

89121768-L.jpg

I'm now waiting for the temps to consistently hit 20C and I'll go back to the lake and look for emergences.
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited January 21, 2007
    wolfwoods wrote:
    I have admired dragonfly photos for some time. Your subjects appear to be much more colorful and interesting than the critters that come to my yard. This was really my first attempt at a shot like this...I don't really have the right lens. We have a small pond garden in the back yard and this guy had successful hunting for a couple weeks. He was a very cooperative subject.

http://www.imagengineer.smugmug.com/gallery/1753657/3/86857274

Comments are welcome.

Nice Black Tailed Skimmer! It seems the only time I can get close to them is when they are maiting:

89583570-L.jpg

86836648-L.jpg

Catch them when they are eating and you can get really close. This one is with a 100mm macro lens and a 25mm tube -about 1.6 times life size and the front of the lens is only abut 5 inches from the critter:

89581865-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited January 21, 2007
    BPCooper wrote:
    These are great.

Thanks!
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Dalantech...your dragon pics are top notch! I enjoyed looking at each one, thanks so much for sharing your great efforts.
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
    edited January 22, 2007
    Serrator wrote:
    Dalantech...your dragon pics are top notch! I enjoyed looking at each one, thanks so much for sharing your great efforts.

Thanks for the props! thumb.gif

Some of my better macros are in this gallery: http://www.dalantech.smugmug.com/gallery/1590111#P-1-15
    My SmugMug Gallery