Options

NASA builds CAMERA GEAR lunar rover.

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited January 20, 2007 in Wildlife
73200957.jpg

Well...not exactly. I played McGiver and built a fancy handy dandy dedicated photography equipment cart for carrying my gear on my birding adventures (MI4 too). Chopped, drilled, screwed and tinkered with a standard folding 3 wheel push/pull golf cart. I removed many of the dedicated golf cart/bag components and added some items I had sitting around the house to build a "customized" camera cart.

73200937.jpg

I chopped down the front wheel throat assembly and drilled, bolted and reattached it with wing nuts for quick/easy removale for transportation and storage.

73200948.jpg

I added a long swing arm bicycle rack mount (like you hang in the garage) and assembled this to the cart frame at the bottom to support a cooler. Yes..a cooler. You need beer and subs for all photo adventures.

73200950.jpg

I also added a section of white wire closet shelving.....for stability for the cooler to keep it from rocking on the metal frame and falling off. I strap the cooler onto the frame with a couple bungy cords

Next I added a fancy white metal wire closet shelf section thingy. Used a section of aluminum framing extrusion for the top edge support/mount. I also used a piece of aluminum angle for a horizontal stabilizer and attachment sectin at the bottom inside edge of the shelf unit. This is the main shelf that holds the large sized Tamrac camera bag with all the goodies I need to take bird shots.

73200941.jpg

73200945.jpg

I took a set of strap braces from the original cart and moved them from a hunk of metal I removed and then added them to the cart frame. These are slotted pieces of metal that a quick release strap will fit through. My dear ole Mother sewed some nylon straps, also taken from the original bag support system of the cart...and fixed them on permanently with her sewing machine. Yippe for Mom. These two black straps secure the camera bag, tripod/bag and monopod with 2 quick snaps. (see details.)

73200949.jpg

73200956.jpg

73200955.jpg

I also removed the score card clip and holder, a water bottle, tire pump thingy and some other metal crap that was not needed for my cart. Saved about 5-6lbs of weight also. I can fit plenty of gear on this cart. In the following pics...notice the pop up camo blind (black round bag thingy), large cooler (behind the blind) The large pro sized bag above the cooler that holds 2 bodies (at least) and a good half dozen lenses with room for other stuff like a a laptop. On top of the bag is a tripod (in light blue bag), a monopod, another small camera bag with P&S stuff, jacket, sweatshirt, and knee pads attaced arond the handle. Pretty much all one needs. shocked; :coo3l:

73200943.jpg

73200944.jpg

I've taken this out for a few test drives and it works very well. It is a bit more difficult in the sand of the beach....than on pavement, but still not too bad. I originally built this to take my gear down to the beach and waterways. It beats carrying it. (no car kids). I thought this would work great for the MI4 shoot as well. Not sure I'll be able to take it due to space restraints....of someone elses vehicle. Not sure who is exactly towing my sorry ass around...but they might not want this thing in their car...or perhaps no room will result in me leaving it home. Hope I do get to take it, because it makes it very easy to carry my junk. So..I get a few strange looks and cat calls from non photographers. :biglaugh: :coo3l:
If you want to see more pics..here's the link:

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/transportation&page=2

I probalby have about $75 in the whole cart. Picked the golf cart (see below for before McGiver pics) on Ebay for cheap. Had the other items around the house, but they could easily be found at Lowes or Home Depot.

73200958.jpg

73200959.jpg

(note: the cart still folds up, but to save space I remove the front wheel and main wire shelf unit)

I'll race you and your cart, Harry. :rofl :rofl

THanks for looking.

Oh yeah...to keep this appropriate for this forum...here is a bird.

72866531.jpg
Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    Great job, Mike. thumb.gif An impressive piece of engineering and implementation. It looks product quality.

Of course, how do we know this isn't all a photoshop composition. Hmm.. headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

PS: Nice OIF too. :D
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    hand brake? cool.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Gosh Mike....I am really impressed!!! You did a fantastic job, but I have a couple of observations. I was thinking you might need that score card clip and holder you removed in order to keep track of your shots against Harry and others at the M14 shoot. Also, I had to wonder......if the birds always come to your backyard, why did you need this in the first place???? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Gosh Mike I had to wonder......if the birds always come to your backyard, why did you need this in the first place???? ne_nau.gif

Big back yard....
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Very handy Mike. Noe you have to start making more and selling them.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Thanks Joel. I hope it looks somewhat "professional" . My old studio mates from college (industrial design) might laugh..though. :D

Thanks Doug. yes..it has a brake. Sort of a throttle mechanism on the grip that rotates and tightens the front wheel brake. Neat toy. Glad I got it and took the trouble to retrofit it for the camera gear. I don't gold. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Susan. I'm not keeping score. deal.gif :ivar wings.gifthumb.gif My therapist said I need to leave the comforts of my backyard and investigate my surroundings. headscratch.gif:D I like to walk to the beach and this cart makes it soooo much easier. I can also take a lot more equipment and beer with the cart. clap.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif @ Gary. You're a funny guy. I wish I had a big backyard. It's pretty small unless you count the canal. bowdown.gif

Thanks Harry. I think my cart looks faster than yours. The idea of making such a contraption and selling them actually crossed my mind. That's what I do ....design things. deal.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Where do ya put the Beer !! headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Mine needs to have a fold out table for... what else .... Pineapple Pizza !! :food :eat 1drink.gifblbl.gif

Handy piece of gear, good job thumb.gif
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Well that is just to cool.
    Your welcome to ride with me and cart my crap to:>))))) MI4 (Orlando wetlands is the only walk-it I can think of that would be usefull on the east coast anyway)
    Great job...
    Super pictures of your invention as well
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Thanks Ben. I put the beer in the cooler...then I remove the beer from the cooler and drink it. :D I think the cart is missing a few things. Wide screen plasma T.V. Hi end stereo system, Victoria's Secret supermodel to assist in pushing it. eek7.gif :ivar

Thanks Gale. I think the cart will come in handy just about everywhere on both coasts. It will work nicely at Merritt and Vierra....Gatorland...Gator farm. Sure beats lugging gear...or leaving good stuff in the car/parkinglot.

Can't wait...MI4 is coming FAST. Woot!
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com