Options

Help with Computer System for 1Ds(MarkII)

beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited January 25, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I read with interest Andy's thread about his new computer system to support his 1DsMarkII - Andy and some of you made some interesting points - maybe you could give me some pointers, too :D I have PS CS and use a Mactor 300 mb external drive for the cache memory...

Be interested in any comments on the new computer I have coming. Still possible for me to edit the specs. I already decided to try to get more RAM, if possible... see attached specs.

Thx for your constructive inputs.

Cheers, Bee
Cheers, Bee

Comments

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    beebibi wrote:
    I read with interest Andy's thread about his new computer system to support his 1DsMarkII - Andy and some of you made some interesting points - maybe you could give me some pointers, too :D I have PS CS and use a Mactor 300 mb external drive for the cache memory...

Be interested in any comments on the new computer I have coming. Still possible for me to edit the specs. I already decided to try to get more RAM, if possible... see attached specs.

Cheers, Bee
    If this is going to be a dedicated machine just for processing photo's you really need to go Mac. They are designed for professionals who do photo and video editing.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    If this is going to be a dedicated machine just for processing photo's you really need to go Mac. They are designed for professionals who do photo and video editing.
    Thanks, jds... no, it's not intended for just processing photos - I will have to stay with Windows - that's the challenge:D have to make it fast and with lots of RAM...

Cheers, Bee
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Oh dear, that's an awfully strong assertion. And a little biased, don't you think? Admittedly, I only have a 1DmkII, but I seem to function fine on my PC. I understand the passion that Apple afficianados have for their brand,iloveyou.gif but I think it's a disservice to suggest that only one computer manufacturer makes machines suitable for editing photographs. friday.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh dear, that's an awfully strong assertion. And a little biased, don't you think? Admittedly, I only have a 1DmkII, but I seem to function fine on my PC. I understand the passion that Apple afficianados have for their brand,iloveyou.gif but I think it's a disservice to suggest that only one computer manufacturer makes machines suitable for editing photographs. friday.gif

You forgot to take your pills today didn't you? We warned you about the results of free thinking. It won't be tolerated. umph.gif

Viva La Mac! :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    You forgot to take your pills today didn't you? We warned you about the results of free thinking. It won't be tolerated. umph.gif

Viva La Mac! :D
    :roll :roll :roll :duel :duel :duel :gun2
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    beebibi wrote:

Cheers, Bee

Looks like it should be adequate - Photoshop only utilizes 2 Gb RAM, and you will have that. Fast single processor, but adequate :D

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm on a PC myself, but everyone knows if you want something fast you don't go PC. Mac is the way to go if you do any kind of photo/video editing. Each has its strong points, Mac - photo/video editing, PC - games, general software, etc.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Looks like it should be adequate - Photoshop only utilizes 2 Gb RAM, and you will have that. Fast single processor, but adequate :D
    Thx, PF... what about having other programs running at the same time as PS CS? Maybe then more than 2 GB of RAM could be advantageous???ne_nau.gif

Cheers, Bee
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    beebibi wrote:
    Thx, PF... what about having other programs running at the same time as PS CS? Maybe then more than 2 GB of RAM could be advantageous???ne_nau.gif

Cheers, Bee

My 2.2Ghz Gateway XP machine only has 1 Gb RAM and it runs PS CS and Firefox, and Streets and Trips so I think 2 Gb will be fine. The next step up is probably 4 Gb RAM isn't it? And I doubt you will see much difference in speed with 4 Gb, but if you want to, go for it.

But Photoshop will only use a max of 2Gb. Even on my MAC with 4Gb of RAM, Photoshop only uses about 1,7Gb - don't ask me why though, I have no idea. :D

JDS is right though in a general way "Mac is the way to go if you do any kind of photo/video editing. Each has its strong points, Mac - photo/video editing, PC - games, general software, etc."

PC's ARE better for games generally ( the software was written for the 86 processor not the MAC processor usually), but MACs tend to process graphic data and music data more easily - again this is a general statement there will be PCs and/or MACs that are exceptions to this statement.

Either one is capable of getting the job done.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005

bee's already decided pc vs. mac, and ordered pc...
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    My 2.2Ghz Gateway XP machine only has 1 Gb RAM and it runs PS CS and Firefox, and Streets and Trips so I think 2 Gb will be fine. The next step up is probably 4 Gb RAM isn't it? And I doubt you will see much difference in speed with 4 Gb, but if you want to, go for it.

But Photoshop will only use a max of 2Gb. Even on my MAC with 4Gb of RAM, Photoshop only uses about 1,7Gb - don't ask me why though, I have no idea. :D

JDS is right though in a general way "Mac is the way to go if you do any kind of photo/video editing. Each has its strong points, Mac - photo/video editing, PC - games, general software, etc."

PC's ARE better for games generally ( the software was written for the 86 processor not the MAC processor usually), but MACs tend to process graphic data and music data more easily - again this is a general statement there will be PCs and/or MACs that are exceptions to this statement.

Either one is capable of getting the job done.

Nice, levelheaded approach clap.gif... considering that PS CS can only utilize about 2 GB of RAM anyway and the machine I ordered came configured with 2 GB of RAM... I think I am wise to stay with that and not force the issue. Trying to add more RAM to it might very well upset the whole system -

'Be careful what you ask for - you might get it' :D

Cheers, Bee
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    beebibi wrote:
    Nice, levelheaded approach clap.gif... considering that PS CS can only utilize about 2 GB of RAM anyway and the machine I ordered came configured with 2 GB of RAM... I think I am wise to stay with that and not force the issue. Trying to add more RAM to it might very well upset the whole system -

'Be careful what you ask for - you might get it' :D

Cheers, Bee

Enjoy the power of your new machine! 1drink.gif

• Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    90% of the World's software is Windows that's the deciding factor
    Years ago (like 10) Apple was the only way to go for Imaging and Archetuctural, however, NOT so any more, as Bill Gates and his thousands of engineers have closed the gap. Remember a computer is just a box with a key board and monitor, etc.

Its the SOFTWARE and YOU that make that box do its thing. 90% of the Globe is using Windows for a reason, and therefor 90% of the World's software is written for Window's users, and that's the never ending circle, which is a good thing. This consistency has made it possible for my 10 year old to do research all over the planet, communicate, and create. And for us in the imaging world, Photoshop is where its at, for the same reason, which is a focus of what I do at FAU during my spare time... http://www.faudigital.com/gallery/296169

JW

11754026-S.jpg