Options

Darn you people...

docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
edited January 20, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, Well it is not really your fault. I have been wanting to get a new computer for a while now. The PC at my folks house is getting old. The place where the wife and I live does not have internet access so I have been holding off purchasing a new computer. But, now I am really considering buying one so that I can do my editing without going to the parents house to do it.

The wife is a teacher and her school gave her a macbook. I played around with it a bit and after looking around at the net about the power of the mac for photography editing, I am interested in one. Really interested in one. I have been a computer person since I was first introduced to the Apple II back 25 years ago. I was quickly moved to the PC and have never looked back since. I hate the maintenance that is required on the PC. From what I have read the Mac is pretty much self sustaining, and from what I have seen with the wifes, it is.

So now, I am looking at a MBP 2.33 with 3Gigs Ram. What else should I look for for photo editing. Is the .mac service worth it? What about Aperature? I have CS3 on the PC but I rarely use it due to the performance issues. I am loving Lightroom on the PC and from what I hear the Mac version is even better , what say you?
SmugMug Support Hero
http://help.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    I just got a 24" iMac yesterday, and am confronting the same issues as you did. However, I only shelled out for the 2 gig ram (I just couldn't justify the extra bucks for the three), and I stuck with the 2.16 processor.

I am not sure the added costs (adding on 60% or so to the cost of the computer) really add that mcuh value to the whole process. Then again, I can always add more RAM later when it is cheaper.

I'm going to have some 3d modelling software installed next week, so I will let you know how that goes. If the computer can render well with the hardware I got, then I don't imagine that photoshop should be much of a challenge for it (although, as this is my first Mac, I could be dead wrong!)

Photo issues aside, it certainly is a pleasure to work with elegant physical and software architecture. The machine is certainly classy. It really makes my PC look like a hodge podge pile of junk (granted, my PC is 5 years old.) It's a well crafted tool.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    docwalker wrote:
    Is the .mac service worth it? What about Aperature?

I am a Mac diehard. I am not a .Mac subscriber. If you already have e-mail, webspace, and a reliable backup system, you don't need three of .Mac's most valuable features. The rest don't justify $99/year ($69 intro), in my view. The one reason I would sign up is to get the iDisk online storage that's seamlessly integrated with the desktop, but for the money, it isn't a lot of space. I am also waiting to see if new companies like box.net, elephantdrive, and jungledisk might provide a better value, although they presently lack true desktop syncing on the Mac plus easy sharing with non-members.

If you are loving Lightroom and plan to buy it, you shouldn't buy Aperture. They're the same type of app.

You should consider AppleCare if it's going to be a business computer that you transport often. Sites like Smalldog.com offer AppleCare for less than Apple does.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    If you are loving Lightroom and plan to buy it, you shouldn't buy Aperture. They're the same type of app.

Okeydoke thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Colourbox said it all.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Got a Macbook Pro
    I drove to Durham NC this morning and bought a MacBook Pro. Now I have to go read the sticky to learn how to use this thing. :ivar
    SmugMug Support Hero