Options

random thumbnailed feature photo - only drawn from 1 gallery?

wrollinswrollins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Greetings everyone :D

I had inquired about this sometime ago, but figured it might be worth asking again....

Could it be possible for the thumbnail for a category to be pulled from ALL the gallery albums (including those within sub categories) instead of just the most recent? depending on your organization this can REALLY limit a viewer's experience....

As an example:

Sports (category) 5 galleries with 100 photos
---- Football (subcategory) 2 galleries with 20 photos
Football Game #1 (gallery album) <-contains 2 photos
Football Game #2 (gallery album) <-contains 18 photos
---- Basketball (subcategory) 2 galleries with 40 photos
Basketball Game #1 (gallery album) <-contains 20 photos
Basketball Game #2 (gallery album) <-contains 20 photos
---- Hockey (subcategory) 1 gallery with 40 photos
Hockey Game #1 (gallery album) <- contains 40 photos

The Sports category above will currently ONLY display a random thumbnail of 1 of the 2 photos from the Football Game #1 gallery. This neglects 98% of the other photos contained in the entire category!!!

I have no idea what code on SM's side is used to call the thumbnail, but I wouldn't imagine it would be terribly difficult to include this.

Any help or thoughts? :dunno

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, I think the honest answer is anything's possible but...the number of high-priority things we have going at the moment makes this hard to get to.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

All the best,
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    Baldy,

Thanks for your quick reply... (sorry for my delayed response!)

I suppose I can sit back and let some of the bigger issues be worked on and go hide out for awhile... :flush

Just thought I'd mention it because it has bothered me for sometime, but no worries though. It's certainly not a showstopper. But I'm sure I'll bring this back to the surface in a few more months mwink.gif

Cheers everyone.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    well i said i would drop back in again, and it's been a few months... so here i am :D

i realize there are obviously always going to be bigger issues, but i just wanted the SM group to know i'm still keeping my fingers crossed mwink.gif

thanks guys!
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    Hey Everyone,

Me again. Just de-lurking for another moment to bump my eternal request back to daylight from the depths of the forum thumb.gif

I'm sure there will always be bigger and higher priority issues to be addressed, but I figure that as a smugmug customer I have a voice and might as well use it, right?

Anyways, keep on making smugmug great. I always enjoy the new enhancements, just adding my own wishes here to make it even better!

Thanks.
  • Options
    ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I gotta bring this one back to light!

Shortly after starting to "really" use my SmugMug account, I too realized the way random category and subcategory images only pull from the first album and disregards the rest of the albums.

I would love to see all albums included in the randomization for a category and subcategory thumbnail.

I would like to also be able to use a random thumnail urls for a category and subcategory as we can for albums.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    *Bump*
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    *Bump*
    It's an FR, Baldy's acknowledged it :D I'm sorry we don't have more to say on it.