Lenses for Canon AE-1

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Cameras
I have a mint condition Manual Canon AE-1 from 1976. I'm using it for my photography class (we are only using film cameras). I'm going to be honest here and say I am brand new to film cameras. I am wondering if Canon lenses made for their newer film cameras (Rebel XT, etc.) fit on this 30 year old model.

Also, I do have three very nice lenses for the AE-1. I have a Vivitar 70-210mm Macro Zoom, which was made in 1975! Will newer Vivitar lenses fit on the AE-1?

And... because I want to buy an IR filter, can I assume that Vivitar filters will fit their older lens models?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. All help will be appreciated! Thank you!
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    The AE-1 is an FD mount camera so you cannot use the current EF or EF-S lenses. You may be able to use the EF and EF-S lenses with an adapter but I don't know. Here is a link to Canons page on the AE-1 if you have any other questions about it. Canon Camera Museum AE-1

The filter size should be on the lens itself. The filters will work with all cameras as long as the filter is the correct size. Except for Polerizers, you use Circular polerizers for digital and Linear polerizers for Film. If you are looking for an IR filter I have one I do not use. It is a Cokin P mount. If you would like it for a well under new price but in Brand new condition send me a PM and I can give you more info on it. You may want to check if you can use IR filters for film, I always thought you had to buy B&W IR film. Maybe Ziggy will chime in, I'll bet he would know.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    The AE-1 is an FD mount camera so you cannot use the current EF or EF-S lenses. You may be able to use the EF and EF-S lenses with an adapter but I don't know. Here is a link to Canons page on the AE-1 if you have any other questions about it. Canon Camera Museum AE-1

The filter size should be on the lens itself. The filters will work with all cameras as long as the filter is the correct size. Except for Polerizers, you use Circular polerizers for digital and Linear polerizers for Film. If you are looking for an IR filter I have one I do not use. It is a Cokin P mount. If you would like it for a well under new price but in Brand new condition send me a PM and I can give you more info on it. You may want to check if you can use IR filters for film, I always thought you had to buy B&W IR film. Maybe Ziggy will chime in, I'll bet he would know.

Thanks for your help! Obviously not only have I never used a film SLR, but I'm new to filters as well. I will look into the Infrared thing. If it's special film I need, it is special film I will get! :)

I am planning on doing some landscape and would love to have the look you get from infrared with the white leaves on the trees, etc.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited January 19, 2007
    purified wrote:
    Thanks for your help! Obviously not only have I never used a film SLR, but I'm new with filters as well. I will look into the Infrared thing. If it's special film I need, it is special film I will get! :)

I am planning on doing some landscape and would love to have the look you get from infrared with the white leaves on the trees, etc.
    Glad to help, I don't really know anything about film either. But I did just find this article on it, hopefully it will get you going in the right direction. PhotoNotes.

Whatever you end up doing I'm sure it will be fun, I love my IR modded XT.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    purified wrote:
    I have a mint condition Manual Canon AE-1 from 1976. I'm using it for my photography class (we are only using film cameras). I'm going to be honest here and say I am brand new to film cameras. I am wondering if Canon lenses made for their newer film cameras (Rebel XT, etc.) fit on this 30 year old model.

Also, I do have three very nice lenses for the AE-1. I have a Vivitar 70-210mm Macro Zoom, which was made in 1975! Will newer Vivitar lenses fit on the AE-1?

And... because I want to buy an IR filter, can I assume that Vivitar filters will fit their older lens models?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. All help will be appreciated! Thank you!

Thanks Nick!

I'm afraid that EF and EF-S lenses will not work on an AE-1. Newer Canon lenses are designed with electronic coupling, but the AE-1 has manual coupling. Even if you could find an adapter, and I've not seen one, you would not be able to change the aperture.

The good news is that KEH, Adorama and B&H still have some older lenses for sale at bargain prices.

In KEH look in the Camera Store, Canon Manual Focus, and then stick with FD mount lenses like Nick said.

I still have a Canon AE-1 Program and several lenses, and it's amazing how easy it is to become comfortable with using it, even after much time has passed. Great engineering! thumb.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 19, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Nick!

I'm afraid that EF and EF-S lenses will not work on an AE-1. Newer Canon lenses are designed with electronic coupling, but the AE-1 has manual coupling. Even if you could find an adapter, and I've not seen one, you would not be able to change the aperture.

The good news is that KEH, Adorama and B&H still have some older lenses for sale at bargain prices.

In KEH look in the Camera Store, Canon Manual Focus, and then stick with FD mount lenses like Nick said.

I still have a Canon AE-1 Program and several lenses, and it's amazing how easy it is to become comfortable with using it, even after much time has passed. Great engineering! thumb.gif

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy! Do you know about Infrared? Can I use an IR filter with the Canon AE-1 or must I buy special IR film?

I'm sure it is much easier to buy the film (but more expenisve in the long term), if I could only find a place to buy it! I found one place online, but it is far overpriced.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited January 19, 2007
    Alright, you got me interested in this and after a little research found a couple things out. You do need IR film but you also need to use a filter to get the IR effect. The filter I saw used that seemed to be the best was an Ilford SFX filter, which is basically a red filter. Check out these links:
    Rollei IR Film Page showing IR film with different filters
    Rollei IR film at B&H Looks pretty expensive
    I could not find anything about using an IR filter with film though.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Alright, you got me interested in this and after a little research found a couple things out. You do need IR film but you also need to use a filter to get the IR effect. The filter I saw used that seemed to be the best was an Ilford SFX filter, which is basically a red filter. Check out these links:

15524779-Ti.gif Thanks Nick! (See how nice Illinois people are. Then again, DGrin has a ton of experienced nice people from everywhere, which is why I stick around.)thumb.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 20, 2007
    gluwater wrote:

Yikes! Almost $10 a roll! I must choose very wisely about what I shoot whenever I decide to buy this.

Thank you for the links. I was having a lot of trouble finding film that I could develop myself that was ALSO IR film.

So with the Ilford SFX 200 film (or other IR film, because that film doesn't seem to be on the market much) and the Ilford SFX filter, I will get the desired effect of green turning white, sky being very dark, etc.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited January 20, 2007
    Alright, I'm still researching mwink.gif. I found an IR Film forum over at photo.net. IR Forum. The first post in there seems to have a lot of info on the current films being used along with the corresponding filters. You may want to ask some questions over there or maybe get in touch with ShannonW from Dgrin. In this thread Shannon mentions she uses an AE-1 for IR Film. That's it I'm done, good luck and if you try it make sure to let us know how it goes. BTW, it's good to see you posting here again :D.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • ire-davidire-david Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Infra red photography on a film slr is a combination of the film and a filter.
    Normal film is not particularly sensitive toinfra red light so just attatching a filter as in a dslr won't work.

one thing to note is that if you have a modern film slr or a motordriven slr, some of them use an infra red beam as a frame counter of the wind on mechanism. this will cuse fogging.

last thing. use a changing bag when loading or unloading, if possible. the wave lenght of infra red light means that it is more ikely to penetrate the light trap on film cassettes.

all these hints are from bitter experience.:cry
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Your AE-1 does not have an IR film counter. It is quite manual with its gears and levers. We have an A-1 which is very similar.

IR film is VERY light sensitive so handling the film is best done in the dark. Either by using a light bag or in the same room you develop your film. Also keep your camera in a case with the lid closed, and or under a blanket or something while you are out taking pics. That IR wavelength can get past your cameras back door gasket and get to your film while your not looking.

Have fun, and show us the end results!thumb.gif