Options

Ring Flash thingy (7 images)

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
edited February 25, 2007 in Technique
First, let me clarify; this is not a "true" ring flash. This is a device that reforms the light from a single E-TTL II compatible flash into a shape and design which produces light "similar to" a ring flash. It is a work in progress, but here's the progress so far.

I won't provide step-by-step instructions, because I'm sure there are better ways to accomplish most of what I've done. Rather, I hope to give enough detail to allow an understanding what was done and why.

It is constructed primarily from an emptied ice-cream tub, with the lid printing removed by scrubbing with steel wool. A hole is formed in the lid and bottom, a pie tin (also with a hole in the middle) is placed in the bottom, and a tube inserted to fit through all the holes. The pie tin is simply a reflector for the bottom of the device, which becomes the back reflector for the device.

The tube is formed of a cylinder of sheet foam (black), covered by a sheet of aluminum also formed in a tube. The black inner surface provides a tunnel through the device for the camera lens. The aluminum keeps light from entering the tube, reflecting the light around the inside of the device.

124192795-L.jpg

A slot/window is also cut into the side of the device, to insert the flash.
124192845-L.jpg

The flash is normally tilted a bit to aim more towards the bottom reflector.

Here is the device assembled and lens inserted:
124192877-L.jpg

... and this is how the light reforms and emits:
124193037-L.jpg

Note that the light doesn't completely surround the ring, and there is a blackout in front of the flash unit. Still, the light does wrap partly around, and it is very diffuse and close to the lens, many of the properties of a "true" ring flash. The lack of complete wrap might even be a partial benefit, in that there is still some "modeling" of the subject.

Currently, the flash just sits in the slot of the device, and the flash is controlled by an "off-the-camera" cord so full E-TTL is retained.

Finally, some examples (all are Canon XT, ISO 200, w/Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 lens at f22, Sigma 500 Super flash):

124192922-L.jpg

124192985-L.jpg

124193077-L.jpg

I think shadows are very similar to a "true" ring flash, but a ring flash is much more convenient to use. This contraption requires two hands, one hand for the device and one hand for the camera.

I'm still working on it, but the light is pretty encouraging so far.

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    The light is cool!
    I love DIY projects! Be interesting to see what your final version is like.
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Looking good! I spotted this a while back - it might help further your design: http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I love DIY projects! Be interesting to see what your final version is like.

Thanks Dee.

The great thing is I can justify another tub of ice cream! thumb.gifthumb (Maybe a sherbet this time.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Fascinating, Ziggy. Let's see a portrait.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Looking good! I spotted this a while back - it might help further your design: http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm

Thanks LB.

I did see that design, but I'm not sure I could get f22 at ISO 200 with it. It seems more likely to be less efficient. Cheap enough to try though.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Tks ziggy...i'll make one & try it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Fascinating, Ziggy. Let's see a portrait.

Thanks Sid, I'm working on it.

I don't think this has a large enough radiating surface to compare to those glamour type ring flashes, but I still want to try it.

http://www.pictureline.com/product.php?id=13593

and then the softlight reflector:

http://www.profoto-usa.com/products/d4/d4_fhs.asp

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Ziggy,
    Great DIY! clap.gif
    Tupperware usage at its best! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Tks ziggy...i'll make one & try it. thumb.gif

Thanks Gus.

It's really not too bad a project. I think I've got less than $1USD in (new) materials. Of course, that's how much in $AUD?ne_nau.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great DIY! clap.gif
    Tupperware usage at its best! thumb.gif

Thanks Nik.

I love projects that start by eating something. I think this was left from Thanksgiving.:food

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Gus.

It's really not too bad a project. I think I've got less than $1USD in (new) materials. Of course, that's how much in $AUD?ne_nau.gif

ziggy53
    About $0.78 today i think. Im not doing any of that cheap crap though...cupboard full of that new expensive tupperware & i will bet london to a brick she wont notice its gone until i get caught with it down the track.
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Nice job! thumb.gif

If you're interested, I've been collecting the following ideas on how to make a ringflash modifier (for portraits, not macro) using my SB600.

1. Ultra simple cardboard shoot through by Brett Admire
    2. Almost professional Bare bulb and bundt pan by Patrick Bishop
    3. Modified cardboard box by Dennison Bertram
    4. Double plastic bowl by Jedrik (his Flickr ID)
    5. And now... Ice cream tub (this thread) by Ziggy53

Alien Bees ABR800 ring flash for $400 is a huge advance compared to the $1000+ models from other manufacturers, but I'd rather not spend even that much for an occasional toy and I'd rather have something that is more portable. It seems like it's about time for someone to invent and market a commercial ring flash modifier (along the lines of a Lumiquest soft box) those who don't want to spend the money for a decidated ring flash. I know I'd buy one if it was less than $80.

Mike
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    clever!-
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Sid, I'm working on it.

I don't think this has a large enough radiating surface to compare to those glamour type ring flashes, but I still want to try it.

http://www.pictureline.com/product.php?id=13593

and then the softlight reflector:

http://www.profoto-usa.com/products/d4/d4_fhs.asp

ziggy53

Patch has a Profoto, he let me use it for some headshots, and I really liked the effect.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    Nice job! thumb.gif

If you're interested, I've been collecting the following ideas on how to make a ringflash modifier (for portraits, not macro) using my SB600.

1. Ultra simple cardboard shoot through by Brett Admire
    2. Almost professional Bare bulb and bundt pan by Patrick Bishop
    3. Modified cardboard box by Dennison Bertram
    4. Double plastic bowl by Jedrik (his Flickr ID)
    5. And now... Ice cream tub (this thread) by Skippy

Alien Bees ABR800 ring flash for $400 is a huge advance compared to the $1000+ models from other manufacturers, but I'd rather not spend even that much for an occasional toy and I'd rather have something that is more portable. It seems like it's about time for someone to invent and market a commercial ring flash modifier (along the lines of a Lumiquest soft box) those who don't want to spend the money for a decidated ring flash. I know I'd buy one if it was less than $80.

Mike

Mike,

First, thanks for the list and links. That is pretty comprehensive and thorough. I'm amazed at the ingenuity of most photographers, but then, that's exactly how photography came to be.

While I am flattered to be confused and mistaken for "skippy", let me introduce myself; I'm "ziggy". Other than the vague soundex similarity, I think there's a gender difference, and skippy is just sooo much better looking. So watch your back, 'cause she might be looking for you. mwink.gifrofl

ziggy53 (I've been waiting for an excuse to boldface that sucker.thumb.gif)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    clever!-

Thanks George. I'd surely like to see what you could do with one of these, especially in a surgical arena.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    Pretty cool! Light looks good too. Maybe you could try a different color
    tub for fun?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch has a Profoto, he let me use it for some headshots, and I really liked the effect.

Patch gets all the good stuff.thumb.gif

Any examples?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Pretty cool! Light looks good too. Maybe you could try a different color
    tub for fun?

Thanks Ian.

The sky's the limit! I'm thinking of two different colors on either side for some macro stuff.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While I am flattered to be confused and mistaken for "skippy", let me introduce myself; I'm "ziggy". Other than the vague soundex similarity, I think there's a gender difference, and skippy is just sooo much better looking. So watch your back, 'cause she might be looking for you. mwink.gifrofl

Oops! I don't know how that happened. headscratch.gif Probably because I spend so much time lurking in these forums and enjoy both of your posts and, as you point out, the names sound vaguely similar. I'll go back and fix the post.

Is she armed and dangerous? Maybe I should go in hiding... mwink.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    Is she armed and dangerous? Maybe I should go in hiding... mwink.gif
    Well she's always shooting something. So be careful!:D
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Patch gets all the good stuff.thumb.gif

Any examples?

ziggy53
    24617263-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    24617263-M.jpg

Yep, that's the effect. Limited visible shadows, wild catchlight (like no other kind of light) and a really rapid light falloff. Cool stuff! Very pretty lady!

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    I've been thinking about a DIY ringflash as well. Is there a disadvantage to having a ringlight that is larger than what is pictured here? Other than needing more wattage? This would be for portraits, BTW.

My thought is to use MR16 lamps in a circle. Place them in a tin housing with a gel holder in front for diffusion or color correction. I would also have to cut a hole in that sheet of gel too.

This whole bucket could be 15-18 inches in diameter, would that be better, or worse for portraits?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    I've been thinking about a DIY ringflash as well. Is there a disadvantage to having a ringlight that is larger than what is pictured here? Other than needing more wattage? This would be for portraits, BTW.

My thought is to use MR16 lamps in a circle. Place them in a tin housing with a gel holder in front for diffusion or color correction. I would also have to cut a hole in that sheet of gel too.

This whole bucket could be 15-18 inches in diameter, would that be better, or worse for portraits?headscratch.gif

Using multiple lights in a circular pattern, you may have to double or even triple diffuse in order to eliminate/smooth the individual sources and make the source look as one. (This is not an absolute. See links below.)

Heat will probably be a design issue, and complicate the housing design or at least limit run times.

The size of the ring needs to be larger as the distance to subject increases, in order to gain the same effect. A larger ring is usually a benefit because it allows a longer focal length, which is usually preferable for portraits.

Because of the properties of a ringlight, the light is not as coherent as in most other sources, although softboxes are similar. This means that much more power is required at distance, or larger aperture, or higher ISO, or combination of the above.

Related projects you might be interested in, in addition to the Tanuki links:

(Mild caution, some glamour shots in these)
    http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/ringlight.html
    http://flickr.com/photos/glowell/139968127/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricdiaz2/172519617/

The last link is especially encouraging, and the results are pretty amazing.

Good luck and remember to share the experience,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    The last link is closer to what I'm thinking, but much more robust. Basically I'm looking at ten 12 volt/50 watt MR16 lamps in series. This makes one 120 volt 500 watt load that can be used with a dimmer. A fan on the bottom with a vent on the top for forced cooling. A sheet metal housing with a base built from steel that both supports the ringlight and has an arm that you would mount the camera to. The whole thing including camera would then attach to a tripod for easier handling.

The MR16 lamps have a high CRI, that is why I'm really attracted to that lamp.

http://www.bulbs.com/Category/GU5.3/40W_--_75W/White--Neutral-/results.aspx

Do you see anything I might have missed?

I will definately share this project when it's done, but it is not exactly a "beginners" DIY, considering the sheet metal work and welding the base.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    The last link is closer to what I'm thinking, but much more robust. Basically I'm looking at ten 12 volt/50 watt MR16 lamps in series. This makes one 120 volt 500 watt load that can be used with a dimmer. A fan on the bottom with a vent on the top for forced cooling. A sheet metal housing with a base built from steel that both supports the ringlight and has an arm that you would mount the camera to. The whole thing including camera would then attach to a tripod for easier handling.

The MR16 lamps have a high CRI, that is why I'm really attracted to that lamp.

http://www.bulbs.com/Category/GU5.3/40W_--_75W/White--Neutral-/results.aspx

Do you see anything I might have missed?

I will definately share this project when it's done, but it is not exactly a "beginners" DIY, considering the sheet metal work and welding the base.ne_nau.gif

A dimmer will either cause the lamps to hum and potentially flicker (triac or thyrister), or it will cause a dramatic color temperature shift (resistor type). Either way, if you can, use at most a 1/30 sec shutter to make sure you catch a full wave, or exposure will be somewhat unreliable using the dimmer. (60 cycle)

Also, those lamps are halogen technology, and if you dim them for long periods, the recycling properties will be compromised, and significant darkening will occur on the bulb envelope, shortening the bulb life and reducing output. (They need to run pretty hot.)

I think your basic premise is sound, and 10 bulbs should give an interesting look.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    I didn't
    know that about the halogen. I guess maybe I could just run them off of a switch instead. Although, my first thought with this device was to have 2 circuits inside. One with 35 watt lamps and one with 50 watters. You could turn on either one or both depending on the conditions. This may be the way I go now, although that will increase the price a bit and maybe the overall size of the unit too.

However, having an 850 watt light source could be cool too! :cool
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Here is another version posted on the Strobist site today. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nassau/sets/72157594493205397/

It looks like it might be an upgrade to your version here.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    Here is another version posted on the Strobist site today. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nassau/sets/72157594493205397/

It looks like it might be an upgrade to your version here.

Thanks for the link. It is different, but I'm not sure about it being an upgrade.

The version I built has the advantage of creating a larger overall emitter surface, and I chose to make the light emit very close to the lens. This gives a better fill for macro and close focus work, allowing the light to penetrate further into an orifice, like an open mouth, for instance.

The device in your link has more of a "hole" in the center of the light, which will yield a more distinctive "donut" shaped catch light for portraiture.

Each device has its own properties, and slightly different applications. I may have to build one of these "bowl" lights for myself, to explore the differences. mwink.gif

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53