Pbase quietly adding framed & matted print ordering?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited January 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I was on Pbase last night and noticed they are not far off from offering sales of framed and / or matted prints!! This is something I'm confident must have been discussed on Dgrin at one time or another but, has their been any discussion on this of late? Also, does PBase offering this have any effect on photographers moving to Pbase, based on this new feature they are adding?
Well, I'm still here with Smugmug for the duration since the Smugmug site is so well run.

Nice to see you guys again... sorry I've been busy with life so only stopping by once in a while these days.

Night,
Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Markjay wrote:
    I was on Pbase last night and noticed they are not far off from offering sales of framed and / or matted prints!! This is something I'm confident must have been discussed on Dgrin at one time or another but, has their been any discussion on this of late? Also, does PBase offering this have any effect on photographers moving to Pbase, based on this new feature they are adding?
    Well, I'm still here with Smugmug for the duration since the Smugmug site is so well run.

Nice to see you guys again... sorry I've been busy with life so only stopping by once in a while these days.

Night,
    Markjay
    Hi Mark, good to see you.

I'm all for it :D good on pbase.

Stay tuned for new cool stuff from us as well thumb.gif
  • dickromandickroman Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2007
    please do frames and mat.
    other than the little techy stuff, this is my only complaint with smugmug. prints are fantastic. Let's get them to the walls and galleries with frames and mats
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    imo...why would u move to an inferior product...whose customer service is non existent. $60 per year for 1200 MB, now that's value for money. eek7.gif

It's no use offering mats and frames, if your users can't access the site and pbase aren't communicating with anyone.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    imo...why would u move to an inferior product...whose customer service is non existent. $60 per year for 1200 MB, now that's value for money. eek7.gif

It's no use offering mats and frames, if your users can't access the site and pbase aren't communicating with anyone.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Yeah, pbase is notorious for this. Yup, I do have a pbase account and it is quite frustrating when they go down. It could be an hour, it could be a week. There's just no way of knowing because there is no communication. And their forums aren't any use right now-- you can't access them either.

At least with SM, you can check over here on dgrin to see what's up if there is a technical issue.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• getnoutsidegetnoutside Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    I have an account on both smugmug and pbase, but I run my business from smugmug because I believe it is better aligned with selling photos. However, I have to admit that what pbase is doing with matted and framed images is fantastic. The interface is very nice and something I could see my cutomers using to frame one of my prints.

I would love to see smugmug do something similar. Imagine being able to give your customers the ability to virtually mat and frame a potential purchase with a bunch of choices while seeing a digital likeness (including choice of wall color), without you as a photographer having to do more than capture a worthwile image.