Need to resize-- how much??

DittomarksDittomarks Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited January 23, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi all! I took pics for family at a wedding reception last weekend and am working on finishing the pictures. I am new to the Rebel XTi that I used, and the pictures are big (1.86 MB). I'm making a CD (might end up being a DVD at this rate) for the bride and groom with the pictures. I need to resize them not only for file storage but for uploading to Sams Club where I make my prints.

What size do you recommend? I will be keeping the originals at full size.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Some ideas
    Dittomarks wrote:
    Hi all! I took pics for family at a wedding reception last weekend and am working on finishing the pictures. I am new to the Rebel XTi that I used, and the pictures are big (1.86 MB). I'm making a CD (might end up being a DVD at this rate) for the bride and groom with the pictures. I need to resize them not only for file storage but for uploading to Sams Club where I make my prints.

Thanks in advance!!

It all depends on what the pictures on the CD are for.

For onscreen presentation on a modern screen size, 800 pixels high (for either landscape or portrait orientation photos is often a good size to view). If you know they have a bigger screen or smaller screen than that, you can adjust slightly from there. You can get away with a JPEG quality level at around 6 for onscreen display.

For printing, I always like to just have the originals at full resolution. But, if you're making images only for smaller sizes (8x10 or smaller), as long as you have at least 220 pixels per inch of print, you'll have more than enough. So, for an 8x10 print, as long as you have at least 2200 pixels on the long side, you've got more than enough. You can make good 8x10's from much smaller images too, but you might as well save at least that much detail. Similarly for 4x6 prints, you only need a long side of 1320 pixels (6x220). I use JPEG quality level 10 for printing.

For sending in email, you may want to keep the size down even more, at the long side of no more than 600 pixels. JPEG quality level 6 is again good here.

For the ultimate convenience for the customer, you could make a CD that had multiple directories: "originals for large prints", "screen viewing", "sending via email" and "for medium prints" with all the different sizes in them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Dittomarks wrote:

Thanks in advance!!
    Are you saying you want to resize the files for storage? I don't understand this? Why would you do such a thing with storage prices as cheap as never before?
    As for printing, I believe nobody prints more than 300ppi. Most can't even do that. I think I had this discussion with EZPrints a while ago and they basically told me that it depends a lot on the equipement and their best machines could do 270ppi.
    I have sent very large files to EZPrints, their max. file size is something around 52MB, which I frequently hit with large Panoramic Prints. So I resize them to 270ppi.
    Andre