B&W conversion from a Christmas shoot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 20, 2007 in People
So, I've revisited this shot and I've attempted a conversion. Do most people find their own B&W "look" and just stick with it? Is there a more standard look that people are trying to achieve or is it up for interpretation? I'm open to pointers and ideas!

124234128-L.jpg

Thanks!
Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    hah!-

like the drool-

cute kid and like the shot-

I think a lot develop a style and tend to go with it-

I know a lot of people recognize my bw's just from a thumbnail (mainly on daily photos where it's basically the same group of people and I'm posting bw's every so often) (and I don't know if that's good or not)-

I do like your conversion here-

I do notice (I could be wrong) that your bg has been blurred in pp-

it can be difficult to do and if you can you're better off having the shallow dof that will take care of the bg on the front end, but it's not always possible-

anyway, neat photo-
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep working on developing my own style. By the way, here's the shot straight from the camera...

124288465-M.jpg

So, you see...I did have the background blur at the front end! :D I think I sharpened the photo, then did a bit of gaussian blur everywhere but the face to smooth it out, but the bg was blurred. It's funny, this was an unplanned shot (thus, the busy rug in the bg) but turned out to be one of my favorites from that shoot, and the parents didn't want a single one! Maybe they will like the B&W better. Ah well, to each his own.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    re bg-

my bad-

both are very nice-

not sure why they wouldn't want it-

she's too cute-