iMac from B&H

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited January 20, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
surely this is legit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=458995&is=REG

but if so, why is the price SO much less expensive than APPLE? WITH the student discount? I was hopeing I could order from BH because they don't charge as much for taxes in my area, or so it seems, thatn apple does. apple was going to charge something like $220, but BH only charges $105 or something for that purchase.

I was just making sure, that if I buy THAT computer from THAT store, I can buy the apple care plan FROM BH and still be able to get APPLE to fix it...for free, right? and just to make sure that that sale is legit and is a good deal. :)

I'd appreciate y'all's input! just hopeing to hear from experience, as I have none in buying computer from a different vendor than the actual maker. but even if you don't have experience with this and would be willing to give input, I'd appreciate that too!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't get AppleCare.

Price looks the same? I mean, it's $50 less than retail, but it should be about $50 more than educational discount. The price is right where it should be.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 20, 2007
    One thing to note: I'll never buy a Mac from anyone but Apple, even if I can save a little money, and here's why:

I bought this MacBook Pro from Amazon. In the first week the logic board died. I took it to the Apple Store, and they said, "Oh, we can just go in the back and give you a new one, since it's so new----oh, wait, where did you buy that from? Amazon?Oh, that's a different supply channel, so you'll have to return it to them, or send this one in for repair."

Meaning they offer a service that Amazon and B&H can't. Chances are that there's an Apple Store near to you. To my mind, whatever little bit of money I could save is outweighed by the service you lose.

Oh, and the tax thing---they all have to charge you the same, it could just be an anomaly in the shopping cart, sometimes when you put something in your cart the tax will change (become more accurate) when you check out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    One thing to note: I'll never buy a Mac from anyone but Apple, even if I can save a little money, and here's why:

I bought this MacBook Pro from Amazon. In the first week the logic board died. I took it to the Apple Store, and they said, "Oh, we can just go in the back and give you a new one, since it's so new----oh, wait, where did you buy that from? Amazon?Oh, that's a different supply channel, so you'll have to return it to them, or send this one in for repair."

Meaning they offer a service that Amazon and B&H can't. Chances are that there's an Apple Store near to you. To my mind, whatever little bit of money I could save is outweighed by the service you lose.

Oh, and the tax thing---they all have to charge you the same, it could just be an anomaly in the shopping cart, sometimes when you put something in your cart the tax will change (become more accurate) when you check out.

I'm not huge fan of my geographic location:

there's this huge area around louisiana and the surrounding areas without ANY stores...and I live smack dab in the middle... haha. 5 hours to dallas. but I see what you're saying, I figured that would be the issue....it makes sense that apple prefers for people to buy from them only. I guess that's what I'll have to do...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
    edited January 20, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I'm not huge fan of my geographic location:

there's this huge area around louisiana and the surrounding areas without ANY stores...and I live smack dab in the middle... haha. 5 hours to dallas. but I see what you're saying, I figured that would be the issue....it makes sense that apple prefers for people to buy from them only. I guess that's what I'll have to do...

- RE

It's not that Apple prefers it, although I'm sure they do, it's that the return channel to Amazon is different than Apple, and that Apple is able to offer a service that Amazon can't. Simply because Amazon isn't down the street from me. And Amazon does not offer the high level of customer support that Apple does. Apple service is worth the small premium in price differential (if there is a price difference, there often isn't, which is even more reason to buy from Apple.)

Do this: call Apple, tell them you're thinking about buying at B&H, you're not sure, because of taxes and what-not, just kind of talk around all that, and then ask if Apple can do anything for you, price wise. It's only a toll-free call, and I think they'll do something. Can't hurt to try.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Do this: call Apple, tell them you're thinking about buying at B&H, you're not sure, because of taxes and what-not, just kind of talk around all that, and then ask if Apple can do anything for you, price wise. It's only a toll-free call, and I think they'll do something. Can't hurt to try.

Nice thinking! I'll betcha, they just might! and as he said, "Can't hurt to try."
    edited January 20, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Nice thinking! I'll betcha, they just might! and as he said, "Can't hurt to try."

People have been known to get $100 off retail, giving them basically the educational price. If you're already eligible for educational discount, then it might not work.
    Moderator Emeritus