1st major Photoshop exercise.

hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited January 16, 2004 in Finishing School
Here's my 1st try at a major Photoshop project. I have to admit I used an article in Photoshop User for guidance, but the results weren't too bad for a 1st try.

The original:

1940642-M.jpg

The Photoshop version:

1940600-M.jpg

This took about 2 hours to complete and would take much longer if you were doing this seriously. But it was fun and I learned quite a bit about Photoshop.

Hutch

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    Hmmm, let me try to deconstruct a wee bit.

You used the magnetic lassoo, the gradient tool, the font tool?

Using layers you could soften the car's drop shadow so it doesn't look so severe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    This process as described exactly in the article did not work for me.

I opened the picture and a new file. All of the following steps were performed in the new fill unless noted.

I made the background black.
    In a new layer, made a large oval that overran the bottom of the layer and changed the color to white. In the same layer, use the Gaussian Blur to soften the edges.

Made a new layer and drew a straight line across the bottom with a 65 pixel soft brush. Then used the Gaussian Blur to soften it also.

The article said to use the Pen function to remove the selected image, but I could not make it work. Therefore I used the extract function under Filter to cut the car from the original picture. Made a new layer and pasted the car. Since the car was too large for the new file, I used free transform to resize the car and place it in the spotlight. If you hold down the Shift Key and drag a corner, the size reduction is in proportion to the original image.

Made another new layer and made the small spotlights behind the car with the Eliptical Marquee tool. This layer was softened by the Gaussian Blur tool also.

The last layer was the shadow layer. I used the Polygonal Lasso Tool. I should have softened this one also, but did not. I used the Eraser tool to radius the edges.

Using the Desaturate function, I removed all color from the car.

Using the history brush, I re-colored the tail lights and turn signals.

The next step did not work as expected. I selected the car layer and tried to fill the layer with blue. It did not work.

I then went to the Layers Palette and change the Layer Blend mode to Color. This gave each layer a blue tint and cause the car to look like silver under blue light.

One of the neatest functions I've used in PS so far is the Extract function under the Filter drop down menu. You outline the item you want to cut or extract, select the portion of the image to extract by filling the area. Then select preview to ensure you get what you want. Select OK and the computer cuts the image for you. It is not alway perfect, so they have provided an eraser tool to get rid of extra material not wanted and a edge healing tool to add material where the computer may have removed some extra. This thing really works.

Try this on a picture of your own. It was a great exercise for learning some new stuff!

Hutch
    edited January 11, 2004
    :sad: Gonna have to upgrade from PS6 to get the extract tool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :sad: Gonna have to upgrade from PS6 to get the extract tool.

Only $169.00 and you can skip 7.0 and go right to CS (8). It will also support RAW files if you move up to a DSLR.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 11, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Only $169.00 and you can skip 7.0 and go right to CS (8). It will also support RAW files if you move up to a DSLR.
    Hi Patch!

I guess 8 will also contain features to prevent you from using copyrighted
    works? I don't know if it will prevent you from opening the image or more
    along Acrobat's line of allowing you to view but not edit or print.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Patch!

I guess 8 will also contain features to prevent you from using copyrighted
    works? I don't know if it will prevent you from opening the image or more
    along Acrobat's line of allowing you to view but not edit or print.

Ian

I guess it would depend on how that image is copyright protected. I think a digital watermark might lock up the image. I have not tried any so I am not sure.

I did find this article and found it interesting to see what Adobe permitted the feds to put in CS. Don't try to copy currency with it. I wonder what else might be in there for the gov't?
    edited January 16, 2004
    patch29 wrote:

Done.
    Sid.