Options

Smugmug and Wordpress Integration Example

jlhurdjlhurd Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
Just finished updating my website for integration with Smugmug. Ended up using MagpieRSS to parse two Smugmug feeds, and then AJAX to create a dynamic updating system. Check it out, tell me what you think!

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jhurd/
Canon S50 for the fun stuff, Olympus OM-4T for the serious stuff.
My SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    7thhvn7thhvn Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 22, 2007
    jlhurd wrote:
    Just finished updating my website for integration with Smugmug. Ended up using MagpieRSS to parse two Smugmug feeds, and then AJAX to create a dynamic updating system. Check it out, tell me what you think!

Very interesting. Wordpress makes a nice starting point for a site, but my lack of technical skills keeps me using the default template.

I found the text in the top left image didn't contrast enough with the background to show up well.
  • Options
    areyoubgareyoubg Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2007
    Share the wealth, pardner!
    jlhurd wrote:

Hey, I sent you a message via your site the other day, no response. I REALLY, REALLY want to have the skinny on how you combined magieRSS and AJAX to do what you did. Not that I want to recreate your look and feel, but that functionality is KILLER.

Won't you please consider wrapping it all up (as a WP-plugin would be extremely sweetly appreciated ;)) and posting here would really get the word out about what is obviously your amazing skills.

Thanks for the consideration of doing this. I am sure you are busy. And promise I won't ask for anything next Christmas mwink.gif
  • Options
    jlhurdjlhurd Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Hey - sorry for the delay. I'm in the middle of a very busy term at college. I don't have the time right now to actually wrap everything up in a plugin. But I can get you some source files.

I used MagpieRSS to do the RSS retrieval. You can google it and download it - I'm sure it would turn up relatively high up.

I also use FJAX to do the AJAX integration stuff (same thing with the pop-up descriptions).

I have a link to my theme file below. I never intended the theme to become public, but you can use it to see how I did what I did. Because I definitely spent a lot of time doing it. My code isn't commented all that much, but the php isn't all that complicated.

And the fjax_image.php file was in my root folder, not the theme folder. You can see where I include stuff just in the various headers.

Oh, and all of the main image retrieval functions are in the imagefunctions.php file. The AJAX is all in the fjax_image.php file. Kinda. Well, fjax_image.php generated a new xml div tag given passed parameters. That xml file is then read by fjax to dynamically update the image.

In terms of retrieving the images, I basically call the function from the theme file and return an array with all of my image variables in it. This is all standard php and MagpieRSS image parsing. Then when I click the link on the thumbs, it basically calls FJAX to replace the given div with the new image. Everytime you click an image, another php file is called which generated an XML file that contains the new information to go into the div tag. Kinda blotted, but that's how I did it.

Please please give me an email or post on here if you use this on your website. I'm not picky with my code, I just want to see what you do with it.

download here
    areyoubg wrote:
    Hey, I sent you a message via your site the other day, no response. I REALLY, REALLY want to have the skinny on how you combined magieRSS and AJAX to do what you did. Not that I want to recreate your look and feel, but that functionality is KILLER.

Won't you please consider wrapping it all up (as a WP-plugin would be extremely sweetly appreciated ;)) and posting here would really get the word out about what is obviously your amazing skills.

Thanks for the consideration of doing this. I am sure you are busy. And promise I won't ask for anything next Christmas mwink.gif
    Canon S50 for the fun stuff, Olympus OM-4T for the serious stuff.
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    areyoubgareyoubg Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2007
    Ripping it apart
    Hey JL,

Totally dig where and what you're doing right now. I remember it well. What you studying over there, anyways?

As to your files, if anyone can pull out good info, and repurpose it, 'tis I. I've never actually attempted to make a complete plugin/widget before, but now is as good a time as any to get jiggy with it, no?

I'll of course drop a line if/when I get something killer. And if I am able to get a full fledged plugin/widget out of the deal as well, I'll let folks know about that too!