The time has come and I'm scared to death.

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Cameras
Yes, it is time to clean the sensor. I'm getting some dust bunnies that show up ever so slightly in some of my shots. I have read the tutes and I know what I need to do I think, but I am scared. I took it to the local photo shop and they said they don't even do that any more. They simply ship the cameras off because of the liability. Now that is scary! Anyhow, should I or just buy a new camera? Just kidding. I wouldn't do that but if I screw it up, I wonder if my wife would let me buy a new camera. BTW, it's a Rebel XT 350D.

Okay, I'm ordering the cleaning kit today. If by next weekend you hear screams from Texas, it's me.

Moral support appreciated. :D

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 21, 2007
    Maestro wrote:

Moral support appreciated. :D
    Hang in there, Maestro. It really isn't difficult. Take your time and you'll do just fine. You may have to do a few cycles before you get all the dust out. This is completely normal. After a few sessions it will seem as easy as brushing your teeth.

Courage!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Not to worry, the first time is always scary but aftre a couple of times you'll be wondering what the big deal is about. I shoot in very dusty and windy conditions so I've cleaned my sensor regularly and have yet to rn into any problems. What kit are you ordering?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Yes, Take it easy, The 1st time it seems to be a HUGE project, lots of preparations. After the 2nd time it will be old hat - not to worry! As mentioned above, you may need to do it more then once to get it clean, plus there's no need to be compulsive about it!
    Make sure you have good light, and relax!
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Not to worry, the first time is always scary but aftre a couple of times you'll be wondering what the big deal is about. I shoot in very dusty and windy conditions so I've cleaned my sensor regularly and have yet to rn into any problems. What kit are you ordering?

I've been looking at the products http://www.visibledust.com/products.php
    However, if you can recommend something just as good and cheaper, I'm open to suggestions. I haven't ordered yet. thumb.gif
    edited January 21, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hang in there, Maestro. It really isn't difficult. Take your time and you'll do just fine. You may have to do a few cycles before you get all the dust out. This is completely normal. After a few sessions it will seem as easy as brushing your teeth.

Courage!

Gracias rsinmadrid. Hopefully by next weekend I will have a clean sensor. I really can't see the dust until I either crop a bunch or use a large f-stop value. Strange. Or maybe not.mwink.gif
    edited January 21, 2007
    Yes, Take it easy, The 1st time it seems to be a HUGE project, lots of preparations. After the 2nd time it will be old hat - not to worry! As mentioned above, you may need to do it more then once to get it clean, plus there's no need to be compulsive about it!
    Make sure you have good light, and relax!

Thanks Fred. It doesn't seem like much but the horror stories have turned into legends of fright and despair. rolleyes1.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    I've been looking at the products http://www.visibledust.com/products.php
    However, if you can recommend something just as good and cheaper, I'm open to suggestions. I haven't ordered yet. thumb.gif

That's what I use and I'm very happy with it.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Visible Dust is easier than the wet wipe. The wet wipe will get rid of stubborn stuff that Visible Dust won't. However, it's not often you need the power of the wet wipe, IMHO.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    I was as nervous as a filly the first time I tried this, but really, it's no big deal. The sensor has a low-pass filter over it which protects it very well.

I recommend starting with the Giotto's Rocket Blower. This gets my dust spots on the first try most of the time.

If that doesn't get it, I would recommend the Copper Hill sensor cleaning system.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Pressurized air is a no go for sensor cleaning. A friend told me though that if you hold the camera down, and spray horizontally under the camera, that you create a vacuum which will suck the dust out of your camera. So don't blow IN the camera, hold the camera with opening downwards and blow under the camera, not upwards in the camera.
    It worked for me on several occasions when I had big blobs on my censor...
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    Pressurized air is a no go for sensor cleaning.
    I agree, that is why I like the Giotto's Rocket blower. It sucks in room air through a very fine filter and blows it through a nozzle.

You should avoid canned compressed air. The depressurization condenses moisture which is very bad for camera interiors.
    edited January 21, 2007
    jthomas wrote:
    I agree, that is why I like the Giotto's Rocket blower. It sucks in room air through a very fine filter and blows it through a nozzle.

You should avoid canned compressed air. The depressurization condenses moisture which is very bad for camera interiors.

exactly, but I am not using the canned air in the camera, I am using it UNDER the camera, just to create the void!
    edited January 21, 2007
    Thanks for the continued support and advice. Here is an example of a shot I just took today. If you look in either corner, lower left or right, you will see blemishes which I assume is dust on the sensor. It doesn't show up in all photos but it did in this one.

http://Maestros.smugmug.com/photos/124627630-M.jpg
    edited January 21, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Thanks for the continued support and advice. Here is an example of a shot I just took today. If you look in either corner, lower left or right, you will see blemishes which I assume is dust on the sensor. It doesn't show up in all photos but it did in this one.

Yup, looks like dust to me... Sorry mate! Cleaning will be the solution.
    I once was foolish enough to have it cleaned while I was in Orlando Florida, paid 40 dollar to do it, and the day after that, I had new dust.

It is hard to avoid dust when swapping lenses, no matter how careful you are!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    jthomas wrote:

Rocket has never worked for me. Just moves stuff around, not once removed anything.

Never, ever point a can of air at your sensor. It will spit gunk that you'll spend a long time removing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 21, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    Maestro wrote:

Yup, looks like dust to me... Sorry mate! Cleaning will be the solution.
    I once was foolish enough to have it cleaned while I was in Orlando Florida, paid 40 dollar to do it, and the day after that, I had new dust.

It is hard to avoid dust when swapping lenses, no matter how careful you are!

Thanks. At least I know I am not seeing things. And dangit, that was a good picture too. I think I am going to photoshop out the dust if possible.
    edited January 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Rocket has never worked for me. Just moves stuff around, not once removed anything.

Never, ever point a can of air at your sensor. It will spit gunk that you'll spend a long time removing.

Yeah, I may look dumb but ain't that dumb! rolleyes1.gifI think I will go with the dry cleaning first and hope that removes the bunnies.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    We're all terrified the first time cleaning the sensor; like everyone has said, just take your time, exercise a little caution, and it will work out fine. One thing to not do is swipe it once, look at the mess you now have and freak out--it will likely take several tries to get the sensor really clean the first time out.

As for which kit, I am very happy with the Copper Hill kit. It's essentially the same bits & pieces as any other wet-swab method, but a much more sane pricetag.