Options

First "real" pics of my son.

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited January 23, 2007 in People
I've taken a lot of pics of William, but until today I hadn't broken out the "good camera" and made a conscious effort to get some shots that I'd be happy to put up on my site. Here's a couple that I'm proud of.

124513438-L-2.jpg

124513735-L-2.jpg

What do you think?
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    First of all...congratulations. You have a beautiful child.

Ok now for the pic. I see a lot of softness and tenderness, but the pic is a little over-exposed.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    number two has better skintones, and is better exposed then the first one.
    Keep up the good works, nice baby! Gorgeous eyes...
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Love the 2nd one!! thumb.gif What a little angel!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    They are intentionally over-exposed thumb.gif I found that exposing him properly really makes his skin look blotchy. Besides I like how the over-exposure works in this situation.

It's tough to get a baby to stay still btw. lol3.gif I obviously haven't done much baby photography. Anyone have any tips? I just sort of made noises and tried to capture an expression as soon as I saw it. lol3.gif

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    I like over exposed pictures of kids
    nice photos very cute kid iloveyou.gif
    Congrats
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    The first one looks very yellow to me. I think you are doing the right thing, call him or her, make noises, and yes, put up a fast shutterspeed to catch the moment. The more you do it, the better you will become at it.
    Babies are not made to pose, grin...
    There is a difference between high key and overexposed...
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback :D So here's what I've done with it. Any better?

124615802-L-1.jpg

• Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback :D So here's what I've done with it. Any better?

O hec yes, the yellow is gone, he has a healthy skin color now...
    Keep shooting him! He is a pretty boy...

clap.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    What a cutie!! I like the first one over exposed a bit because it emphasizes his beautiful eyes, though the second version of the first photo is good too. The second photo in th eoriginal post is my favorite though. It is really special.

If you think he is hard to photograph now, wait until he is crawling... walking...running. It doesn't get easier! But it gets to be even more fun.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    TS4FTS4F Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2007
    Cute pictures
    Those pictures are very cute.

I notice that there is a little something on his face which I've seen on babies before. Can it be wiped off or is that just a new-baby thing (no kids of my own so I'm not sure!) For such a close-up, intimate shot I'd like to see the subject "cleaned up" as much as possible.

-Alex
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    TS4F wrote:
    Those pictures are very cute.

I notice that there is a little something on his face which I've seen on babies before. Can it be wiped off or is that just a new-baby thing (no kids of my own so I'm not sure!) For such a close-up, intimate shot I'd like to see the subject "cleaned up" as much as possible.

-Alex
    On his upper lip? If so those are little fine hairs I'm pretty sure. If not, I'm not sure I see what you're talking about.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Nice job. The blotchy skin of infants can be tough. You did well that second time around.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    It's tough to get a baby to stay still btw. I obviously haven't done much baby photography. Anyone have any tips?
    I agree with Virginia, my daughter is 18 months now and it gets MUCH harder. rolleyes1.gif

Infants love pretty much anything that makes noise and lights up. Do you have a Baby Einstein Playmat? The star that was on the top of ours was the biggest draw for my daughter's attention. Mirrors also work wonders.
    A feather boa that I got at Mardi Gras worked the best but I'm DOUBTING you have one of those lying around.lol3.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Cuuuute!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I really like how I am drawn to the eyes of your child!
    Babies sometimes are super easy or super hard! My son is now 3 1/2 months and it is VERY difficult to get the smile out of him...his three sisters were never as tough. But I am sure you will train yours as I have mine....my girls can't help but model now...I told my oldest that if she ALWAYS cocked her head in all her pictures like she does, everyone will think there is something really wrong with her neck!
    Back to babies, not much experience with them except for my own....and I can only advise enjoy it now...it is much easier to get a shot before they are crawling away from where you set them up!