Options

D'oh factor is pretty high here

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I inteviewed with two potential clients of similar means in an effort to secure a wedding photography contract.

Stupidly, for the first I failed to bring along any prints. Not surprisingly, the elected to go with another photographer.

For the second B&G inteview, I remembered to bring some photographs. Most of them WERE NOT wedding photos, but scenics, pics of my wife, some animals, and a couple of sunsets. Out of about 20 prints, about 8 were wedding related. They signed with me.

So after the contract was signed and all the business was done and since were spent a good part of the interviewing laughing and having a good time, I figured I was safe to ask them at what point did they decide to go with me and what was it that swayed them. The MOB said it was when she saw the first print - an 8x12 sunset. The bride, when she saw the first wedding shot, which just happened to be a selectively colored image.

Moral of the story - bring prints with you, the bigger and bolder the better. Because it was the MOB who wrote the check, I think I might even have gotten the contract without the wedding shots.

Note to self - Whenever I want to establish a new photographic relationship with someone, show them some prints!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 21, 2007
    Creating a book is a great idea for showing prospective customers.

I was shooting surf one day and one of the other photogs says hey, let me
    show you some of my work--he shows the surfers when they come to ask
    if he's got anything. He keeps the book with him and frequently updates it
    with his best work.

Having a number of different subjects to demonstrate skill is a great idea
    too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    I inteviewed with two potential clients of similar means in an effort to secure a wedding photography contract.

Stupidly, for the first I failed to bring along any prints. Not surprisingly, the elected to go with another photographer.

For the second B&G inteview, I remembered to bring some photographs. Most of them WERE NOT wedding photos, but scenics, pics of my wife, some animals, and a couple of sunsets. Out of about 20 prints, about 8 were wedding related. They signed with me.

So after the contract was signed and all the business was done and since were spent a good part of the interviewing laughing and having a good time, I figured I was safe to ask them at what point did they decide to go with me and what was it that swayed them. The MOB said it was when she saw the first print - an 8x12 sunset. The bride, when she saw the first wedding shot, which just happened to be a selectively colored image.

Moral of the story - bring prints with you, the bigger and bolder the better. Because it was the MOB who wrote the check, I think I might even have gotten the contract without the wedding shots.

Note to self - Whenever I want to establish a new photographic relationship with someone, show them some prints!

Great advice, Scott!!! I have three meetings over the next week or so with prospective clients and your advice couldn't have come at a better time. The fact that they liked the non-wedding shots is reassuring! Because I'm not super thrilled with my wedding photos (Pre-20D) to date. Best of luck in your bookings! Live & Learn!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    I carry two books with me wherever I may go.

One is portraits. The other is weddings.

Always be prepared. I learned the hard way too!!
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Thanks for the supportive words and thoughts. I'm glad I'm not alone in having to learn this the hard way. I just hope my exposing my lack of foresight will save someone else the pain.

urbanaries - Some thoughts (after doing some searching on-line):
    • Take examples of your best work - even if it's not stuff the client is looking to buy. For example, if you are interviewing with a B&G, take landscapes, people, wildlife, etc.
    • But, I'm thinking you should also include some wedding stuff. I have found the many clients are not as critical/discerning as us "pros".
    • "Typical" civilian clients don't look for noise. They don't look for absolutely level horizons. They are looking for pleasing smiles, emotions, sometimes the composition.
    • Keeping with the last comment, don't aplogize for what you perceive as a lack of quality. The client will, most likely, not see it. But watch and listen to them for reaction. If they do show/voice a non-positive reaction, then you can explain (but don't aplogize) that it "... was taken with a P&S a year ago, but look at the quality in these images that I get now with my current professional equipment..."
    I hope this helps you in your client meetings...