I just ordered something VERY special!!!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 2, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I just ordered a Macbook Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

specs:
17" glossy screen
8x super drive with dual layer capabilities
iWorks preinstalled
2 GB RAM (!!!)
2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
and of course, all the neat features that come with all macs!!!!

this is my first mac, and I can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning on reading the WHOLE mac advice sticky that was created for Andy when he switched :)

anyone found anything extremely intresting on the more recent macbook pros? any cool shortcuts or anything?

well, I was just so excited that I had to tell someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Congrats! Just let us know what kind of help you need with the uprade. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 21, 2007
    there are two rules when you get a new computer-

don't look at the prices available right after you receive it-

don't look at all that's available for those new prices after you receive your computer-

anyway-

congrats and hope you enjoy!-
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    congrats,

two years ago i said anybody buying a mac was nuts,,,,
    then i bought my 1st one - since then that computer has never froze, never had a virus and never needed any repair! but the best part is that it is FUN!

congrats again!

troy
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Congrats and welcome aboard the Mac train! I noticed you pre-instlled iWork... very awesome suite of applications. If you have spent a lot of time in MS Word or PowerPoint... you're in for a treat. And thankfully Pages and Keynote read/write those old formats pretty well. I used to dread going back and updating old documents due to how fragile the MS Office apps are in terms of consistent formatting or appearance... but pages and keynote are so much nicer to work with. The last big doc I did I started in Pages and finished there, it was so nice to be able to not spend ages adjusting formatting throughout the doc and just focus on getting the message across!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Congrats on the 17" MBPro. I have the same but with the matte screen and I love it.

You can call me eccentric, but since I don't trust pre-installed software from the factory, I spend a couple extra hours reformatting and zeroing out the HD of any new computer I purchase and then do a custom install of the OS and apps. Since Photoshop is the most used program, I partitioned the drive and allocated 15 gigs for photoshops scratch disk.

Now for the fun stuff:

If you have a series2 TiVo, download the TiVo Desktop and you can now stream your iTunes, iPhotos and videos to your television.

iChat AV is awesome. Unfortunately, my buddies (mostly Mac users) always summon me to it whenever they need help with something ne_nau.gif The next version of iChat in Tiger allows you to grant another person permission to see your desktop and use your programs. So, if you need help with a photo, you can get another Mac user to walk you through the steps in photoshop -- there goes my free time eek7.gif

Consider the Logitech MX revolution mouse. I just downloaded the newer driver and this thing beautiful! Once you get used to the scroll wheels, you're going to hate every other mouse.

Depending on the software you install, make sure that you don't have duplicate fonts on your system since they will slow down your computer. You can use Font Book (in the applications) to resolve duplicate fonts and then delete them.

I recently got the Delkin Express/34 Compact Flash reader. It definitely downloads my photos faster than my annoying USB CF reader and there are no wires to worry about. I'll give more info on it in the near future.

I'll post more stuff later since I'm at work now.

HTH,
    Nikos
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    it just came! about an hour ago...I LOVE IT! I'm working on it right now. it's gorgeous, I don't think it's possible to tell you how beautiful it is, because you ahve to see it to believe it! can't wait to post some pictures!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    If you are looking for anything for upgrading any mac the very best site for upgrade reviews is xlr8yourmac One of the very best FREE utilities for mac os X is Onyx get it here. If does every basic function that you need to keep your mac running fast. Repairing permissions and running those pesky maintenance scripts that the mac os does at 2am when your computer is usually turned off. and a whole slew of other functions that may want to use. Another good general news and troubleshoots site is MacFixit macfixit
    Carl
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    nikos wrote:
    You can call me eccentric, but since I don't trust pre-installed software from the factory, I spend a couple extra hours reformatting and zeroing out the HD of any new computer I purchase and then do a custom install of the OS and apps. Since Photoshop is the most used program, I partitioned the drive and allocated 15 gigs for photoshops scratch disk.

One of the best reasons to do that is when you custom-reinstall, you can choose to not install foreign languages, printer drivers, and applications that take up many GB of space.

Partitioning a boot disk for Photoshop has very limited benefits, if any, since one disk mechanism must still split itself across OS, application, and scratch duties. It is even conceivable that it could be slower. The only real benefit is avoiding fragmentation. You don't really get the benefits of a separate scratch volume unless it's actually on a separate disk, so that disk can concentrate on Photoshop scratch read/write without any other distractions. When my PowerBook was my main machine, I connected an external FireWire 800 drive, which is much faster than a laptop drive, and assigned it as Photoshop scratch. That definitely made a difference.