Options

College Hoops: Umass vs Xaiver

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited January 14, 2005 in Sports
14017018-M-1.jpg14017043-M-2.jpg14017188-M-2.jpg14018398-M-2.jpg14018414-M-1.jpg14019139-M-1.jpg
14023081-M-2.jpg14025515-M-2.jpg
14025531-M-1.jpg14028466-M-1.jpg14028529-M-2.jpg14028542-M-2.jpg

Photos from Saturday's hoops game. Althought im sort of newish to hockey with an SLR camera, Im not new to the game and I have been shooting hockey with my point and shoot for a couple of years. Hoops I have never played competively and well hadnt been to a college game since the last time umass was a decent team. But with this new media relations gig I go again. I think this is my 6 or 7th game of the season (and well of my hoops shooting career) Pretty exciting game, umass ends up winning it in the 3OT.

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 12, 2005
    All Reet Winger :-)
    Super job!! Especially, for a basketball newbie rolleyes1.gif Looks like you had decent lighting (for an indoor gym) and you got some nice non-action shots too ^5 I really like the shot of the scorer's table.....nice clap.gif It also looks like you were able to roam around (or you had some really good seats). So how'd ya like it? There's quite a bit more action than in hockey, but all the action sometimes makes it hard to concentrate on the shooting....lol

Anyway, good work and thanks for sharing these,

Steve

BTW, what lens were you using?
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Those are terrific shots, winger. Every bit as good as you'd see in SI.

ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    Super job!! Especially, for a basketball newbie rolleyes1.gif Looks like you had decent lighting (for an indoor gym) and you got some nice non-action shots too ^5 I really like the shot of the scorer's table.....nice clap.gif It also looks like you were able to roam around (or you had some really good seats). So how'd ya like it? There's quite a bit more action than in hockey, but all the action sometimes makes it hard to concentrate on the shooting....lol

Anyway, good work and thanks for sharing these,

Steve

I have a pass and since I am working for media relations I can go where ever I want (which is cool, just more of me asserting my power to go there) For this game I basically split time under the hoop either right next to the hoop or way out on the corner. I did spend some time actually sitting on press row.
    The two lens I used was a 70-200 F2.8L and my new 24-70 F2.8 L that I just got with the money I have made for working for media relations. Its kind of sweet that right now I am making enough to basically pay for my habit (but not quit my day job).

Basketball is ok, I mean my first love is hockey but that is because I am active in the game at many levels. Where other sports I simply understand because I know hockey so well (like this fall I was shooting soccer for the first time and it was quite similar) It also helps that when I was an undergrad at umass basketball was good and I got really into it then.

As for the scorer table yeah I liked that shot too. Thats the other cool thing is Media Relations is pretty flexible in what they let me do. They love my game shots but they like it when I do weird things too. Like one of my favorite hockey shots is this one:
    12469967-M-1.jpg

I also got my first glossy magazine cover. It was for the maroon and white, an athletics publication. It wasnt a hoops shot it was for hockey but it was this one:

11344073-M-2.jpg
    Our first hockey humanitarian finalist.

And if people are wondering I dont really PS, partly cause I dont know how. The only thing I have been doing lately is playing with levels especially for the hockey photos. But that is it, I dont think I touched either of these shots.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 12, 2005
    Congrats on the cover shot!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2005
    These are two from the against BC earlier in the month. I tried shooting from the concourse level for a different perpective but I found the backgrounds to be generally distracting. And I also end up shooting oppostite the logo ( I know sounds lame that I am complaining its backwards) because the AP guy usually gets the good spot on the concourse oppostise the logo.
    13722987-M-2.jpg13722958-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 13, 2005
    yeah, rub it in that you got you a sweet gig on campus, and that you don't even use PS to make your shots great.

Jerk.

wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, rub it in that you got you a sweet gig on campus, and that you don't even use PS to make your shots great.

Jerk.

wave.gif
    Yeah but maybe I should, they are going to hire two more MR people next year and if I were to learn PS and pagemaker, I could make a good pitch as to why it would be cheaper to hire me as their photographer/ publication director. Which would be hot!!!!

I said maybe I can get you some space on the floor, especially for women's hoops.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 14, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Yeah but maybe I should, they are going to hire two more MR people next year and if I were to learn PS and pagemaker, I could make a good pitch as to why it would be cheaper to hire me as their photographer/ publication director. Which would be hot!!!!

I said maybe I can get you some space on the floor, especially for women's hoops.
    deal. I know PS a lot better than I know my sports shooting...
    you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]