14114912-M.jpg

Does this work? Critique me folks.

thanks

anand

Comments

• StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    OK 21 views and no replies...

The best so far. If you walk past a shop and see those big posters in the window, often in threes, then that's Tryptich. Yours is like that clap.gif

Downside is that the background is not uniform. The centre blue is good, I know the morose is B&W there needs to be a theme through the pictures
  • RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    14114912-M.jpg

Does this work? Critique me folks.

thanks

anand
    Anand, I suggest you try changing the order to Morose, Shy, Proud and increase the saturation in Proud. I imagine that would give a dynamic transition from B&W to normal colours and from these to vivid colours, just like the moods go.

Roger
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Stan wrote:

The best so far. If you walk past a shop and see those big posters in the window, often in threes, then that's Tryptich. Yours is like that clap.gif

Downside is that the background is not uniform. The centre blue is good, I know the morose is B&W there needs to be a theme through the pictures
    Thanks Stan.

I went with B&W for morose and I went with high contrast intentionally. I shot the other two in two different settings and I sure have messed up the lighting.

Hmm, I need to think. If you have not figured out, morose is a different flower of different color :)
    edited January 12, 2005
    Roger wrote:
    Anand, I suggest you try changing the order to Morose, Shy, Proud and increase the saturation in Proud. I imagine that would give a dynamic transition from B&W to normal colours and from these to vivid colours, just like the moods go.

Roger
    Roger,

Thanks, that is an amazing tip. I am at work now, I will get to this later in the evening and post it here.

Thanks a lot, I don't think I can make the backgrounds of the same color, but I am sure what you suggest will make a lot of sense :)
    edited January 12, 2005
    Stan wrote:

Hmm, it should not be too difficult to make all backgrounds black right? Hmm
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Hmm, it should not be too difficult to make all backgrounds black right? Hmm

All good suggestions.

Mine is more mundane.

I would change morose to sad.

It says basically the same thing, and distracts less from your images.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    I'd say this is a good start. The subject is a great idea.

I agree with the others that the background differences is a bit distracting. I'd try making them all black like you mentioned, or a gradient. Starting with Morose as black, with a slow gradient to blue through shy to an over saturated Proud on a rich dark blue background.

I can mock something up quick if you like. I'm not sure I'm explaining my idea very clearly.

dave
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    I like the orginal idea, and Dave's suggestions would really make it leap off of the screen.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited January 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    All good suggestions.

Mine is more mundane.

I would change morose to sad.

It says basically the same thing, and distracts less from your images.
    Hmm, hmm, thanks.
    edited January 12, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I can mock something up quick if you like. I'm not sure I'm explaining my idea very clearly.

dave
    Thanks Dave

Does this work, not quite what you say, but am I on the right path? A quick color gradient would help :), you know my absymal PS skills.

14127321-L.jpg
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Thanks Dave

Does this work, not quite what you say, but am I on the right path? A quick color gradient would help :), you know my absymal PS skills.

14127321-L.jpg
    I think you are on the right path here. As was suggested earlier; maybe desaturate shy be 50% and keep proud full color. That will make the transition from the b&w to color.

I really like your subject matter here. It's very creative! thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 12, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    I like the orginal idea, and Dave's suggestions would really make it leap off of the screen.
    Thanks Tristan :)
    edited January 12, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I think you are on the right path here. As was suggested earlier; maybe desaturate shy be 50% and keep proud full color. That will make the transition from the b&w to color.

I really like your subject matter here. It's very creative! thumb.gif
    Thanks Landrum :)
    edited January 12, 2005
    Next Pass
    Incorporating the many wonderful suggestions, going from full b/w to saturated color and changing the mood. Can't change morose to sad though :)
    14129819-L.jpg
    edited January 13, 2005
    I've played with the image a bit in photoshop.

14132394-O.jpg

Don't mind the jpg compression... :D

Here is a rundown of what I did.

1.) Did a gradient from black to blue for thee background.
    2.) Copied your grey border on top of gradient
    3.) Moved the titles around
    4.) Pulled your flowers out of the original & put them in order
    5.) Desaturated shy
    6.) Little velvia action on Proud
    7.) Increased the contrast of Sad :D
    8.) Applied a universal shadow to all flowers to keep them from looking too fake on the background
    9.) Spiced up the grey border a bit

I have the photoshop file if you want to play with it. Its 12mb, but I have a place I can put it for you to download if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave
    edited January 13, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Incorporating the many wonderful suggestions, going from full b/w to saturated color and changing the mood. Can't change morose to sad though :)
    14129819-L.jpg

Looks like your on the right track here. I just uploaded one I was working on tonight for you. It looks like I should have check the thread, and saved myself some work...lol

Dave
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    14129819-L.jpg
    I like it! I think the only thing left is to apply an effect to the images for some seperation from the background. I like what Dave did on his work up.

I really like your idea on this one. I know I already said that, but I had to say it again!
    clap.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I really like this idea.. it's touching and sweet and I'm looking forward to seeing the final version.. I missed most of this thread sorry..thumb.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I saw the whole thread. I am sorry I did not comment. I did not know what to say. I thought it was useless, would never fly, the whole idea was .......well, I thought it was really bad. And worse, I had other thoughts.

I can usually think of something good to say, as Andy instructed, but this time, and it has happened before, I just couldn't. It was useless in my mind.:cry

So others came in.deal.gif I now love the idea, how it is rendered, etc. That just shows me, sometimes I am better off keeping my mouth shut. How many people can be stopped by an ignorant, and I was, unthinking comment, where others see gold.

I will say I see gold now in your idea. I mean, I LIKE it!clap.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 13, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Thanks Stan.

I went with B&W for morose and I went with high contrast intentionally. I shot the other two in two different settings and I sure have messed up the lighting.

Hmm, I need to think. If you have not figured out, morose is a different flower of different color :)
    i think having the morose flower in bw is almost too much. the shapes and composition already do enough. I'd like to see the same three shots with the same colors. let the beautiful shapes and curves do the talking.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 13, 2005
    Woah Dave, this is out of the world man. I sent you an email as well. I could barely do this, thanks, I am going to attempt what you said here.

Dave, I should take this oppurtunity to thank you for setting the bar so high and pushing me in my photographic ventures.
    dkapp wrote:
    I've played with the image a bit in photoshop.

I have the photoshop file if you want to play with it. Its 12mb, but I have a place I can put it for you to download if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave
    edited January 13, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I like it! I think the only thing left is to apply an effect to the images for some seperation from the background. I like what Dave did on his work up.

I really like your idea on this one. I know I already said that, but I had to say it again!
    clap.gif
    Thanks again!
    edited January 13, 2005
    Thanks Lynnma, ginger and DoctorIt.

Morose was shot with a different flower which is almost dead :(, and it is yellow. I have to wait for the pink flower to age to get it in the morose state, but I have worked real hard in the last two days to keep it healthy :), I don't think I will muck with it for a photo's sake.

But, I really like the color gradation here.

Thanks all, for the wonderful tips. It started as a blurry idea, I am really happy to see it reach this shape, it is because of this wonderful group of people here.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I'm definitely a day late and a dollar short...
    obelix wrote:
    Thanks Lynnma, ginger and DoctorIt.

Morose was shot with a different flower which is almost dead :(, and it is yellow. I have to wait for the pink flower to age to get it in the morose state, but I have worked real hard in the last two days to keep it healthy :), I don't think I will muck with it for a photo's sake.

But, I really like the color gradation here.

Thanks all, for the wonderful tips. It started as a blurry idea, I am really happy to see it reach this shape, it is because of this wonderful group of people here.

Sorry I didn't see this thread. I like what has been done here. Good job Obelix, and nice critique from all the gang. thumb.gif

I have to say, I prefer the title, "Sad" to "Morose". Morose is such an extreme word. Blue might be a good word, as in blue mood.

Aside from that, the picures are great. I'd like to know how you apply a universal shadow to the flower. That looks good. I'm not all that experienced with PS. By the way, I got Photoshop CS for Christmas. :D So feel free to give me tips. I still feel more comfortable in Elements2, but I'm gradually switching over.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited January 13, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Aside from that, the picures are great. I'd like to know how you apply a universal shadow to the flower. That looks good. I'm not all that experienced with PS. By the way, I got Photoshop CS for Christmas. :D So feel free to give me tips. I still feel more comfortable in Elements2, but I'm gradually switching over.
    Same here headscratch.gif, it is Dave who did the shadow thing, I will let you know when I learn how to do it icon10.gif

Thanks.
    edited January 13, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Sorry I didn't see this thread. I like what has been done here. Good job Obelix, and nice critique from all the gang. thumb.gif
    The shadow was easy.

Just select the layer that contains the flower, if there is no layer, then select the flower alone (oh well, my selection skills are pathetic) and do a layer via copy (right click).

Now, once you select the layer, click the "f" icon in the bottom of the layers pallete. Select "drop shadow" and you are done :)
    edited January 13, 2005
    Oookay, my final image
    I am going to be sucked into work starting tomorrow, I might as well complete this and submit it before I go :(

Thanks all.

Built on top of what Dave gave me, just a few minor tweaks.

I might actually do another triptych, "Waiting", I have two photos from sunday here, need to shoot a 3rd one, hmm, for the first time I feel sorry that it has stopped raining.

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5087

14164588-L.jpg