Options

Help Help Help

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 17, 2004 in Technique
Oh horrors, just got back from the coast with a card full of what I'm sure must be amazing stuff (of course) and doggie pictures the lot and I've created an error somehow and can't download!!!!! error is "Err o2" which is problem with cf card. I think I rushed things a bit somewhere and probably pressed something I should'nt have too quickly... anyhow.. it says I should format the card!! is there anyway you guys can save me? sob! the doggie pics are amazing I'm sure,, If I could only get them out of the camera. I'm going to sit here glued to this screen and wait for help. Sob..
Lynn
I have a Rebel 300D

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    1. Try removing and reloading the CF card.
    2. Try pulling the images with a card reader.
    3. Try a different card.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Have you tried pulling the images with a card reader?
    Fish!! whats a card reader, I must not have one cos I don't know what it is...sob..
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Fish!! whats a card reader, I must not have one cos I don't know what it is...sob..
    Sob.. tried all that.. other cards work ok.. with this one, if I turn the camera off while connected to the computer the bloody computer spurts a brief error and blue screen and goes off and reboots... sob
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Something like this. They cost under $20 and are MUCH faster at moving images from the CF card to the PC than directly from the camera.
    B000068EEM.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

This CompactFlash Reader from Lexar connects via USB to your computer to read and download photos directly from any CompactFlash memory card. Designed to optimize your digital camera's performance, it saves your camera's batteries by transferring photos without even having to turn your camera on. It also transfers images up to 40 times faster than a camera-to-computer serial connection. There is no external power supply to get lost or burn out, and it's small enough to fit in your digital camera's bag. USB offers hot insertion and removal of the reader without rebooting. Easy drag-and-drop downloading. Supports all CompactFlash cards up to 128MB. LED status indicator. Compatible with Windows 98 SE/Me/2000 and Mac 8.6 and up, including OS X. No. RW016-260. Imported.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Sob.. tried all that.. other cards work ok.. with this one, if I turn the camera off while connected to the computer the bloody computer spurts a brief error and blue screen and goes off and reboots... sob
    go to http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Something like this. They cost under $20 and are MUCH faster at moving images from the CF card to the PC than directly from the camera.
    B000068EEM.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

This CompactFlash Reader from Lexar connects via USB to your computer to read and download photos directly from any CompactFlash memory card. Designed to optimize your digital camera's performance, it saves your camera's batteries by transferring photos without even having to turn your camera on. It also transfers images up to 40 times faster than a camera-to-computer serial connection. There is no external power supply to get lost or burn out, and it's small enough to fit in your digital camera's bag. USB offers hot insertion and removal of the reader without rebooting. Easy drag-and-drop downloading. Supports all CompactFlash cards up to 128MB. LED status indicator. Compatible with Windows 98 SE/Me/2000 and Mac 8.6 and up, including OS X. No. RW016-260. Imported.
    Wonder if Walmart has them.... I want one NOW!!! DRAT.. DRAT SOB...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    well...that's ugly. umph.gif

What is the brand/size of your problem child card?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    well...that's ugly. umph.gif

What is the brand/size of your problem child card?
    It's 512mb... sob
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    It's 512mb... sob
    and its a Delkin Devices sob sob...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Wonder if Walmart has them.... I want one NOW!!! DRAT.. DRAT SOB...
    You can get them pretty much anywhere. walmart.com shows a number of different readers. Computer store will be a little cheaper, I'm guessing (compusa or similar).
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    You can get them pretty much anywhere. walmart.com shows a number of different readers. Computer store will be a little cheaper, I'm guessing (compusa or similar).
    Right.... I'm off to Wally World right now.. but first I'll try Charle's suggestion of the data recovery link..sniff.. maybe there's hope.. I'm quite deverstated. This little dog I ran into was an Australian Sheepdog with the most beautiful white eyes.. and the sunsets over the ocean with little boats in front.... sob sob
    Thanks for all your help. I hope I can recover them and show you the little canine.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Right.... I'm off to Wally World right now.. but first I'll try Charle's suggestion of the data recovery link..sniff.. maybe there's hope.. I'm quite deverstated. This little dog I ran into was an Australian Sheepdog with the most beautiful white eyes.. and the sunsets over the ocean with little boats in front.... sob sob
    Thanks for all your help. I hope I can recover them and show you the little canine.
    Lynn
    Go get the reader and give it a try. If it still has a problem with the card, try the photorescue. It's pretty rare for CF cards to have problems. You didn't drop or somehow shock the card, did you?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh horrors, just got back from the coast with a card full of what I'm sure must be amazing stuff (of course) and doggie pictures the lot and I've created an error somehow and can't download!!!!! error is "Err o2" which is problem with cf card. I think I rushed things a bit somewhere and probably pressed something I should'nt have too quickly... anyhow.. it says I should format the card!! is there anyway you guys can save me? sob! the doggie pics are amazing I'm sure,, If I could only get them out of the camera. I'm going to sit here glued to this screen and wait for help. Sob..
    Lynn
    I have a Rebel 300D
    Lynn - First of all - don't listen to FisH icon10.gif (nothing personal here Fish!! lickout.gif)

Did you perhaps remove your CF card form the camera while the red drive light near the CF door was lit? If you did the card may be corrupted - DO NOT FORMAT THE CARD YET - Some CF cards become corrupted for no apparent reason. DAMHIK!!

Hmmmm - I see CMR164 beat me to it - but he is absolutely correct..
    Go to
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ and try the photorescue software - I have used it to recover photos from a Sandisk Ultra chip that became corrupted and I know of other photographers who sing its praises -

If you have NOT formated the card you may still be able to recover the images even if you cannot see them with your camera or with your computer and a Compact Flash card reader. Just because Windows Explorer cannot read the card does NOT mean the pictures are not there - PCRescue reads the card at the binary level - give it a try beofre you give up!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lynn - First of all - don't listen to FisH icon10.gif (nothing personal here Fish!! lickout.gif)

Did you perhaps remove your CF card form the camera while the red drive light near the CF door was lit? If you did the card may be corrupted - DO NOT FORMAT THE CARD YET - Some CF cards become corrupted for no apparent reason. DAMHIK!!

Hmmmm - I see CMR164 beat me to it - but he is absolutely correct..
    Go to
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ and try the photorescue software - I have used it to recover photos from a Sandisk Ultra chip that became corrupted and I know of other photographers who sing its praises -

If you have NOT formated the card you may still be able to recover the images even if you cannot see them with your camera or with your computer and a Compact Flash card reader. Just because Windows Explorer cannot read the card does NOT mean the pictures are not there - PCRescue reads the card at the binary level - give it a try beofre you give up!
    God I love you guys... I have complete faith in you all (stop laughing). I've downloaded the demo version of photorescue... looks a bit daunting.. I'm afraid I might fry something (like my computer or worse my beloved camera). Can one of you please come over and fix this for me???? snivel, sniff.. (Oh get on with it Lynn) right... I'm going to try and do this...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    God I love you guys... I have complete faith in you all (stop laughing). I've downloaded the demo version of photorescue... looks a bit daunting.. I'm afraid I might fry something (like my computer or worse my beloved camera). Can one of you please come over and fix this for me???? snivel, sniff.. (Oh get on with it Lynn) right... I'm going to try and do this...
    You know what I may have done, when taking the last few photos I press something like menu or something else whilst the camera was still working on the last shot... rushed it, and it did'nt like it... I think I just created an error, the card was fine before... or I spose it could have been the sea air..
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Things are getting worse here... I have a state of the art Dell with windows 2000 but I just can't seem to get this new card reader to install. Kicks it out with a blue screen for a fraction of a second and then reboots... AND whether it's my old brain not working any more or what but I can't seem to get the photorescue demo to make any sense either. The options it gives me don't make sense to me... I'll try reading the help again but I'm confused. I'm ready to format the card or take it somewhere to see if I can recover the data. Probably all rubbish anyway... sob
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    Dont give up!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    which part? all of it? bah. she needs the cardreader. why a cf problem would cause a bluescreen of death is beyond me tho.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    which part? all of it? bah. she needs the cardreader. why a cf problem would cause a bluescreen of death is beyond me tho.
    I've installed the new cardreader onto hubby's new XP (god help me if I screw up his gaming machine) and I'm going to attempt to put the images on a disc and then bring them back over here to try to open in canon viewer...
    wish me luck...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Luck! Install in XP is a nobrainer...no sw needed, unless it's a funky reader, but you'd never buy a funky reader, wouldya lynn?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    Lynn, one small thought: there's no rush. Take your time. Nothing is going to change on the CF card unless you change it. You could wait a month and it would be the same as it is today. So you can take your time trying to solve your problem. Good luck... sounds like others have been where you are and escaped. So it can be done!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Laughing.gif I agree with the need for a card reader USB 2.0 preferably.... I was just concerned she might format the card and then she might be even worse off...

I never have downloaded a picture from a camera - always use a card reader - especially in a laptop
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Laughing.gif I agree with the need for a card reader USB 2.0 preferably.... I was just concerned she might format the card and then she might be even worse off...

I never have downloaded a picture from a camera - always use a card reader - especially in a laptop
    Yep, got a lexar USB2.0 - works fine on the XP, (something about plug and play teensy little blue message flies by before kicking it out and rebooting on my 2000) I'm going to delve a bit. I did get a couple of pics off the camera before it refused to perform... lousy ones of course. XP does'nt read CRW files.. unless I install the canon viewfinder... and convert them... and on and on and on......
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Laughing.gif I agree with...
    that sounds like a retraction. :D
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Yep, got a lexar USB2.0 - works fine on the XP, (something about plug and play teensy little blue message flies by before kicking it out and rebooting on my 2000) I'm going to delve a bit. I did get a couple of pics off the camera before it refused to perform... lousy ones of course. XP does'nt read CRW files.. unless I install the canon viewfinder... and convert them... and on and on and on......
    So does this mean you can see the contents of your card on the XP box via cardreader?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    So does this mean you can see the contents of your card on the XP box via cardreader?

Yes!! Oh happy day... I loaded Canon View finder onto XP and converted all the images to TIFFS so now I'm putting them onto a disc and hopefully will load into my poor ole' win 2000.

Couple of images I like so it was worth all the hassle...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    Congratulations, Lynn.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Congratulations, Lynn.
    Wait Sid, I have'nt got em yet :)
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Wait Sid, I have'nt got em yet :)
    Standby for doggies and sea weed :)
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Standby for doggies and sea weed :)
    I met this little girl who was waiting for her mommy to come out of the store...