smugsearch gremlins

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 29, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Well maybe they're not gremlins, I just don't know what it's supposed to do...

Question #1: is there a smugsearch FAQ somewhere? as in, how does it work? how does it search? what does it search for? does it search more than keywords?

My understanding is that it searches for "everything", starting in the gallery you are in, then giving you the option to expand to a whole category, whole smugmug account, then all of smugmug. It searches for keywords, and in captions? (this is one I'm really curious about)

Example (assuming it does search keywords, which it should, right?):

In this gallery, there are three photos with the keyword fiser (you can go to my search page, and use the keyword search to confirm this result, that works nicely). Try using my smugsearch box up in the top right of my header while in the appropriate gallery... when I do, it sits and spins for several minutes (not exaggerating, timed one at 2min 7sec) and then says "No photos or videos found".
:scratch

If for no other reason, the fact that it takes so long to tell me it found nothing is disturbing. Did I break it?
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    I wonder if its currently broken?

If I type my smugmug user name in it wont find me or my galleries?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Hmm searching with 'fiser' from www.smugmug.com main search brings up one image for me which has this under the image

"VALLEY HORIZON SCHOOL (from left) students Rachel Johnson, 9, Nicholas Fabela, 8, and Kayla Fiser, 11, represent a number of Valley Horizon students who donated socks for local homeless people. --photo by Jacob Lopez

keywords: tree sock"

So it picked up fiser from an images description but not from keywords?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 22, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    I wonder if its currently broken?
    I was hoping it was just me... now Andy's gonna flog me for asking too many questions. :hide
    Erik

edited January 27, 2007
    I brought this up, originally, at a pretty busy time for the Smugmug crew. Seems things have quieted down a bit. So... a shameless bump! :D

edit: since then, I've added captions to the three fiser photos (using the same example in my first post), they are now the only three photos in that gallery with a caption, all photos have keywords. Now, when I'm in that gallery (lab stuff) and use the smugsearch box for "fiser", I get those correct three results, very quickly.

So I guess I've figured it out, but I'd like confirmation: smugsearch only searches captions/descriptions and NOT keywords?
    Erik

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I brought this up, originally, at a pretty busy time for the Smugmug crew. Seems things have quieted down a bit. So... a shameless bump! :D

edit: since then, I've added captions to the three fiser photos (using the same example in my first post), they are now the only three photos in that gallery with a caption, all photos have keywords. Now, when I'm in that gallery (lab stuff) and use the smugsearch box for "fiser", I get those correct three results, very quickly.

So I guess I've figured it out, but I'd like confirmation: smugsearch only searches captions/descriptions and NOT keywords?
    Smugsearch searches through captions, descriptions, gallery&photo keywords.

However at this time, it's taking a little over 5 days for keywords that get added to get indexed properly. That might explain the not-finding issue thumb.gif
    edited January 27, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Smugsearch searches through captions, descriptions, gallery&photo keywords.

However at this time, it's taking a little over 5 days for keywords that get added to get indexed properly. That might explain the not-finding issue thumb.gif
    cool, thanks ivar.

I'll revisit again on monday (it's been 5 days as of today for this specific example).
    Erik

edited January 29, 2007
    Just to followup, it seems that all sorts of indexing has happened and my smugsearch is now working nice and fast!

the example with "fiser" works well, and quickly (in any gallery, not even in the one that contains those photos). I even pushed it, and searched for another term that used to bog it down bigtime: a common name, Tara (aka MrsIt). Just a week or so ago, that would sit and spin for a long time, now I get lots and lots of hits, as expected.
    Erik

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Just to followup, it seems that all sorts of indexing has happened and my smugsearch is now working nice and fast!

the example with "fiser" works well, and quickly (in any gallery, not even in the one that contains those photos). I even pushed it, and searched for another term that used to bog it down bigtime: a common name, Tara (aka MrsIt). Just a week or so ago, that would sit and spin for a long time, now I get lots and lots of hits, as expected.
    Onethumb put a ton of effort into this over the past few days. Gald it's sorted!
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Onethumb put a ton of effort into this over the past few days. Gald it's sorted!
    In that case: Thanks Onethumb - major improvements noted!! bowdown.gif
    Erik