techno issue on new changes

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited January 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
first I love the idea of only loading the med pic not the whole page, however on three of the real world systems I tried it on today it would not work. The thumbs on the left loaded and not the medium photo, I had to click the blank area where the photo should have been to view it at all, the systems just sat there (up to 30 min to test) with the spinning thingy, this is on a fast connection. Here is an idea of what the systems are

all dell's (260, 280, 520), windows xp pro, two sp2, one sp1 (:huh) IE on all three (6 and 7) and firefox on one. All three systems were behind a squid proxy with no other problems browsing the net. Have you tested behind squid? Maybe that is the issue.

James.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2007
    Hi James,

I believe that if the thumbs are loading then i believe it's not a problem with the squid proxy.

Can u upload a few screenshots pls...i am interested to see how many thumbs are visible on the different browsers.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    all the thumbs were visable on the screen, no screen shots available today.

James.
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi James,

I believe that if the thumbs are loading then i believe it's not a problem with the squid proxy.

Can u upload a few screenshots pls...i am interested to see how many thumbs are visible on the different browsers.

Thanks,

David
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    all the thumbs were visable on the screen, no screen shots available today.

James.
    Hi James,

one of the new features of the smugmug style is that it automatically converts from smugmug to smugmug small and visa versa. So when ur browser window is only small 9 thumbs are displayed...and when it's larger 15 thumbs are displayed.

Knowing how many are visible may help to troubleshoot. btw, what screen res are these machines running on ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • e-came-cam Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Same Problems
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    first I love the idea of only loading the med pic not the whole page, however on three of the real world systems I tried it on today it would not work. The thumbs on the left loaded and not the medium photo, I had to click the blank area where the photo should have been to view it at all, the systems just sat there (up to 30 min to test) with the spinning thingy, this is on a fast connection. Here is an idea of what the systems are

all dell's (260, 280, 520), windows xp pro, two sp2, one sp1 (eek7.gif) IE on all three (6 and 7) and firefox on one. All three systems were behind a squid proxy with no other problems browsing the net. Have you tested behind squid? Maybe that is the issue.

James.

Hey, I have the same problems. My site was fine lasweek before the upgrade. I have tried the different computers some work some don't, I even remove all firewalls... still. Loading, very, very, slow about 45 minutes to display the thumbs on the left. I have Not experience this "SPEED" and "BEAUTY" ... why? I was much happier lastweek.

http://e-cam.smugmug.com
    edited January 22, 2007
    I didn't notice this error earlier but here it is.

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/544408#124916889-O-LB

Also need to do something differant about what happens when someone clicks on a photo that is proccessing, right now I have to keep refreshing the page to see if it's loaded, I should be able to click on the proccessing image and see it if it has loaded now. And how the heck do I find the link straight to a photo now?

James.
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi James,

Thanks,

David
    edited January 24, 2007
    ???? any help here? as of now I can't view any galleries on any SM site with firefox or IE on my laptop which I normally use. What use is SM if the galleries can't be viewed on most systems?

James.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    ???? any help here? as of now I can't view any galleries on any SM site with firefox or IE on my laptop which I normally use. What use is SM if the galleries can't be viewed on most systems?

James.
    stby james i'm looking again.
    edited January 24, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.
    Hi James,
    For example, this gallery:
    http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/2344521#122727027

Loads just fine in IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari - all our supported browsers. I've had 3 people validate.

So, we must find out if there's some local setting or something causing you to not see the gallery.

1) can you see galleries on your site in other view styles (journal, traditional, etc?)

2) is this at school, home or both? Looking at possible network issues?
    edited January 24, 2007
    on that gallery it does not load on my laptop, firefox gives no error, IE7 says syntax error Line 271 char 2. At the moment I am trying this from my work network, another system next to me is accessing the said gallery fine, while yet another system in the room opens the galleries in both IE and firefox but does not load the main photo as seen in my example screen shot when firefox is used, but loads every thing correctly in IE7. The problems don't change with reloads or reboots, has to be something with whatever they used for this last round and system configs. This concerns me greatly as only one real world system I have used since this update has worked correctly.

James.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi James,
    For example, this gallery:
    http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/2344521#122727027

Loads just fine in IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari - all our supported browsers. I've had 3 people validate.

So, we must find out if there's some local setting or something causing you to not see the gallery.

1) can you see galleries on your site in other view styles (journal, traditional, etc?)

2) is this at school, home or both? Looking at possible network issues?
    edited January 24, 2007
    and yes all other views work, only Smugmug does this.

James.
    edited January 24, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    on that gallery it does not load on my laptop, firefox gives no error, IE7 says syntax error Line 271 char 2. At the moment I am trying this from my work network, another system next to me is accessing the said gallery fine, while yet another system in the room opens the galleries in both IE and firefox but does not load the main photo as seen in my example screen shot when firefox is used, but loads every thing correctly in IE7. The problems don't change with reloads or reboots, has to be something with whatever they used for this last round and system configs. This concerns me greatly as only one real world system I have used since this update has worked correctly.

James.
    Can you confirm the settings for javascript, and security, in your browser? I know it concerns you - and we'll get to the bottom of it. But we have millions of visitors using the same browsers and are not having problems. So we have to find out what's special about your setup.
    edited January 24, 2007
    ok, it may well have something to do with the proxy, I am now home with the laptop and IE7 works fine, firefox now loads up like the screenshot I showed you before. This now over a dozen systems I have seen where it loads that way, I am not disputing that it works for many, but that's not what I'm seeing around here, maybe due to so many of the systems I work with are behind a proxy, maybe this new setup is flawed when it comes to proxies.

James.
    Andy wrote:
    Can you confirm the settings for javascript, and security, in your browser? I know it concerns you - and we'll get to the bottom of it. But we have millions of visitors using the same browsers and are not having problems. So we have to find out what's special about your setup.
    edited January 24, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    ok, it may well have something to do with the proxy, I am now home with the laptop and IE7 works fine, firefox now loads up like the screenshot I showed you before. This now over a dozen systems I have seen where it loads that way, I am not disputing that it works for many, but that's not what I'm seeing around here, maybe due to so many of the systems I work with are behind a proxy, maybe this new setup is flawed when it comes to proxies.

James.

Hi James, I've spoken with our engineers - if your proxy is filtering content from websites, there is indeed a chance it could be breaking things, meaning SmugMug style could be filtered.

What are the details of the proxy settings, that you can share?
  • alberto3554alberto3554 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.

James,

Just a suggestion do you use any adblock extensions when viewing the galleries in Firefox ? Ran into a similar issue earlier this week when I used firefox and adblock plus , which blocked some of the javascript to be executed , giving similar symptoms as you are experiencing.

Regards

bert
    edited January 25, 2007
    getting closer, may well be the content filtering peice in some way, I use Dansgaurdian here to filter, it is not showing anything blocked on the page, I'll dig through the server logs to see what I find. As a test I went to and browsed in the following sites with no problems (I had to override the filter on a few though as they allow content I can't allow here):

twango.com; photobucket.com; fotki.com; pbase.com; flickr.com; picturetrail.com; slide.com; webshots.com; zoto.com; dotphoto.com; faces.com; photosite.com; pixagogo.com; care2.com; photos.yahoo.com; pictures.aol.com

James.
    edited January 25, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    getting closer, may well be the content filtering peice in some way, I use Dansgaurdian here to filter, it is not showing anything blocked on the page, I'll dig through the server logs to see what I find. As a test I went to and browsed in the following sites with no problems (I had to override the filter on a few though as they allow content I can't allow here):

twango.com; photobucket.com; fotki.com; pbase.com; flickr.com; picturetrail.com; slide.com; webshots.com; zoto.com; dotphoto.com; faces.com; photosite.com; pixagogo.com; care2.com; photos.yahoo.com; pictures.aol.com

James.
    thx James - keep us posted ok?
    edited January 25, 2007
    and as soon as I posted I found the answer to the differance between work and home, (where it was not loading any photo's at all, just the background and spinning arrows) it was deep in the logs, look at this url and take out the "*"

"http://pics.jamesjweg.com/h*ack/RPC/gallery.mg"

That is not a word which content filters like to see in an url, that is a VERY poor choice and something that should be changed if you like to be accessed in educational and work settings. Most real filters are gonna look real close or flat out block any url with that word in it. This still does not explain the systems which are unfiltered and can't load the larger photo.

James.
    edited January 25, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    and as soon as I posted I found the answer to the differance between work and home, (where it was not loading any photo's at all, just the background and spinning arrows) it was deep in the logs, look at this url and take out the "*"

"http://pics.jamesjweg.com/h*ack/RPC/gallery.mg"

That is not a word which content filters like to see in an url, that is a VERY poor choice and something that should be changed if you like to be accessed in educational and work settings. Most real filters are gonna look real close or flat out block any url with that word in it. This still does not explain the systems which are unfiltered and can't load the larger photo.

James.
    Hi James, it's our url for feeds, too. I made sure Don has seen your post, not sure if anything can be done about that. In the meantime, list it as a friendly url...
    edited January 25, 2007
    I did list it as one, but as network admin that is a mighty slippery slope that I would rather not be on.

edit -- keywords such as that should be avoided completly in the code, in this day any content filter worth it's salt reads text for keywords and ones such as that are not gonna help it out.

James.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi James, it's our url for feeds, too. I made sure Don has seen your post, not sure if anything can be done about that. In the meantime, list it as a friendly url...