I Don't Like Change

2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited January 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Maybe I'm a grumpy, but I'm not finding the changes an advantage to me. I do like that the pictures load faster, but that's about it.

Another thread has already mentioned the increased steps too share a photo.

Other things that seem to be a step backward for me is, the fewer number of thumbs viewable per page. The preview that is being viewed is smaller and that it's not quickly understandable, that you can enlarge the preview size. Non regulars may not know you have to roll the mouse over the preview. And that there is no longer an option to skip ahead and back several pages of thumbs.

I tried clicking around to see if I could change the defaults settings, but none of the options offer what the old default was.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Maybe I'm a grumpy, but I'm not finding the changes an advantage to me. I do like that the pictures load faster, but that's about it.

Other things that seem to be a step backward for me is, the fewer number of thumbs viewable per page. The preview that is being viewed is smaller. And that there is no longer an option to skip ahead and back several pages of thumbs.

I tried clicking around to see if I could change the defaults settings, but none of the options offer what the old default was.

2whlrcr...

please see my response in that sharing thread.

yes..u can jump forward or back, u need to use the little page picker...look for a little down arrow before the 'of' in page 1 of 5.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:

Other things that seem to be a step backward for me is, the fewer number of thumbs viewable per page. The preview that is being viewed is smaller and that it's not quickly understandable, that you can enlarge the preview size. Non regulars may not know you have to roll the mouse over the preview. And that there is no longer an option to skip ahead and back several pages of thumbs.

What resolution is your monitor? If you have a high enough resolution ~1024x768 you'll see the bigger version of the smugmug style but it changes automatically at low resolutions. You can select whichever page of thumbs you'd like by highlighting the down arrow on the top left of the smugmug style.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    I'll be the first to admit, I'm not very computer savy. I just opened up my SmugMug account with FireFox and I have more thumbs and a larger preview, than when I open with Safari?

Why would that be?
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I'll be the first to admit, I'm not very computer savy. I just opened up my SmugMug account with FireFox and I have more thumbs and a larger preview, than when I open with Safari?

Why would that be?

it's a feature of the new smugmug style...it autosizes between the old smugmug and smugmug small sizes based upon the available browser real estate.

if you are seeing different results in safari as per firefox on the same machine...perhaps you have additional menu or toolbars that take up vertical space in FF ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited January 22, 2007
    Also it looks like my FireFox window is just slightly larger than my Safari window? And with FireFox I have the option to skip pages of thumbs, but not with Safari?

Any thoughts?
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Also it looks like my FireFox window is just slightly larger than my Safari window? And with FireFox I have the option to skip pages of thumbs, but not with Safari?

Any thoughts?

are you sure both browsers are using the smugmug style ?

If so, can u please provide some screenshots ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited January 22, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    are you sure both browsers are using the smugmug style ?

If so, can u please provide some screenshots ?

Thanks,

David

Yes, both browsers are set to Smugmug style.

I would provide you a sceenshot, if I knew what that was and how to do it.headscratch.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Yes, both browsers are set to Smugmug style.

I would provide you a sceenshot, if I knew what that was and how to do it.headscratch.gif

selection: cmd-shift-4

any window: cmd-shift-4, then press spacebar to get camera icon, click on desired window

entire screen: cmd-shift-3

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Share feature is cookied now, so we remember your preference, resulting in less clicks.
    edited January 22, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    selection: cmd-shift-4

any window: cmd-shift-4, then press spacebar to get camera icon, click on desired window

entire screen: cmd-shift-3

:D

I'm using a Mac.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I'm using a Mac.

Exactly.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    What resolution is your monitor? If you have a high enough resolution ~1024x768 you'll see the bigger version of the smugmug style but it changes automatically at low resolutions. You can select whichever page of thumbs you'd like by highlighting the down arrow on the top left of the smugmug style.

This feature is actually pretty cool for me. Like many of us, I work on two monitors, my main monitor and a smaller one for a toolbars in photoshop and/or a second browser (used mostly for streaming internet radio). I was impressed that my smugmug view fit the smaller screen by limiting the number of thumbs-- normally I'd have to scroll.

I'm not crazy about every new feature, but the lower res changes are quite useful for me.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:

Why would that be?
    It's related to the width of your browser window. Make your Safari window wider by dragging the lower right corner to the right.

When I widened a Camino browser window this way, the gallery page automatically readjusted from 9 thumbs to 15 thumbs. I just about fell off my chair.
    Dave