Slideshow Auto Sizing Missing Important Feature

TnHikerTnHiker Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited February 1, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Slideshows in SmugMug apparently "sense" the viewer's monitor & window size then set the images to fit the window. Unfortunately, it seems to me after some experimentation and observation that setting the window smaller doesn't increase the speed of the slideshow download. Perhaps it continues to download high resolution images suitable for the monitor size then resize those to fit the open window.

For dial-up users it would be much preferred if they could pre-set the image size for slideshows, i.e. medium vs. large (even small might be preferrable for some users with really slow connections). Presently some users, like me with a 49kps connection and a 1380 x 1024 monitor, have to suffer terribly slow performance when viewing slideshows. It typically takes 30 - 45 seconds per image (sometimes longer).

Al
Things are looking up. :thumb "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Click for Hike Journal website.

SmugMug acct: http://tnhiker.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:
    Slideshows in SmugMug apparently "sense" the viewer's monitor & window size then set the images to fit the window. Unfortunately, it seems to me after some experimentation and observation that setting the window smaller doesn't increase the speed of the slideshow download. Perhaps it continues to download high resolution images suitable for the monitor size then resize those to fit the open window.

For dial-up users it would be much preferred if they could pre-set the image size for slideshows, i.e. medium vs. large (even small might be preferrable for some users with really slow connections). Presently some users, like me with a 49kps connection and a 1380 x 1024 monitor, have to suffer terribly slow performance when viewing slideshows. It typically takes 30 - 45 seconds per image (sometimes longer).

Al
    Hi Al,

Are you talking about the full-screen slideshow? That indeed resizes depending on viewport size. Usually the photos are larger than our "L" size photos, so the originals will have to be dowloaded. I'm sorry. We are looking at the slideshow, but I can't promise you when/what the changes will be.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Al,

Are you talking about the full-screen slideshow? That indeed resizes depending on viewport size. Usually the photos are larger than our "L" size photos, so the originals will have to be dowloaded. I'm sorry. We are looking at the slideshow, but I can't promise you when/what the changes will be.

clarification: originals themselves arent downloaded. we make custom images from your originals on the fly that match your browser size.
    Pedal faster
  • TnHikerTnHiker Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    clarification: originals themselves arent downloaded. we make custom images from your originals on the fly that match your browser size.

Yes, I am referring to the full screen "regular" slideshow (not the flimstrip/style slideshow). I like to post pre-captioned images taken while hiking and they are best enjoyed with an auto advancing slideshow presentation. Unfortunately, the need to download large image sizes precludes dial-up viewers from enjoying SmugMug for slideshow presentations--it is just too slow to be practical.

An option to select smaller image sizes for slideshow presentations would be ideal.

I'd like this option to include a prompt for image size selection at the start of each slideshow with perhaps one setting being the memorization of a given setting with no further prompts (from that computer or user). Alternately, I'd like to have slideshow "URL links" include an embedded image size setting. I've had reports from viewers that "SmugMug just locked-up" when they tried to view a slideshow. It seems those viewers were using a dial-up connection. I typically post 1024 x 768 imagess as originals and with more and more viewers going for the 19" LCD monitors with 1380 x 1024 resolution it is only a matter of time before I change my default upload image size to be 1380 x 1024. I believe we are going to have more problems for dial-up users rather than fewer unless we address options for slideshow image sizing.

Al
    Things are looking up. :thumb "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 23, 2007
    Oar: I too think it's a bit silly to upload 2560x1920 originals to find that it's building slideshow images by upsizing medium size images that it's already downsized. My preferred solution would be just to have a knob that says "don't upsize; run the slideshow at medium image size".
  • pete-menefeepete-menefee Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Another similar issue:
    I just uploaded a gallery from another site (photozo) that has a limit of 700 or so on the longest side. When I use the slideshow on this gallery, the pictures look pixilated because they are blown up to fit my screen (19in). Is there a way to limit maximum size on a gallery's slideshow?
    Pete
  • TnHikerTnHiker Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Don't Use Slideshow....
    Another similar issue:
    I just uploaded a gallery from another site (photozo) that has a limit of 700 or so on the longest side. When I use the slideshow on this gallery, the pictures look pixilated because they are blown up to fit my screen (19in). Is there a way to limit maximum size on a gallery's slideshow?
    Pete

Pete,

My problem is often the opposite--my images are large and when using slideshow with big monitors and slow dial-up internet connections it takes forever to load each image. Clearly we could all benefit from an image size preference option for slideshows. Right now I just tell my users to avoid the slideshow viewing option. Alternately, users can set their monitor resolution to something much smaller, say 640 x 480 pixels, and then the slideshow will resize for that screen size.

Al

• pete-menefeepete-menefee Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    FYI, this is the response from Smugmug, and very prompt I might add. I'm new here and was surprised at the quick attention.

"
    Hello Pete,

There isn't anyway to do that with the full screen slideshow. There is
    a slideshow that is a viewing style that will allow the viewer to see
    the slideshow in medium or large sizes.
    If you have a power or pro account you can disable the full screen
    slideshow by inserting this into your customization.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/web-tricks/2005/08/17/removing-play-slideshow-button/

All the best,

Dustin"