Now time to beef up the search?

mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited January 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I really like all these new features and I'm sure a lot of time and effort went into them.

Now how about some attention to the search function? It's functional but a bit slow, and can sometimes give the appearance of it being finished when's it not. Maybe even just added the new throbber thingy in the corner would help a bit?

Here's an example of what I mean.
Go to my website: www.ruama.com
In the "Search our photos" box, enter in "Disney"
The search results page comes up right away, showing matching keywords and matching galleries. It looks like the page is complete at this point - there are no partially rendered boxes or anything like that. Except that it's not done. Eventually the individual pictures that match the search will come up at the bottom, and THEN the page is really done. In my first test, the first parts popped up almost instantly, but the photos didn't come up after another 20 to 30 seconds. (although when I tried it again just now, the whole thing came up almost instantly - perhaps the search results are cached?)

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    I just did the search here and the result came back in under 2 secs ne_nau.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    I just did the search here and the result came back in under 2 secs ne_nau.gif
    Same here in my corner of the world......Maybe a little faster, I'm closer to Smuggyland...
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    mbrady wrote:
    I really like all these new features and I'm sure a lot of time and effort went into them.

Now how about some attention to the search function? It's functional but a bit slow, and can sometimes give the appearance of it being finished when's it not. Maybe even just added the new throbber thingy in the corner would help a bit?

Here's an example of what I mean.
    Go to my website: www.ruama.com
    In the "Search our photos" box, enter in "Disney"
    The search results page comes up right away, showing matching keywords and matching galleries. It looks like the page is complete at this point - there are no partially rendered boxes or anything like that. Except that it's not done. Eventually the individual pictures that match the search will come up at the bottom, and THEN the page is really done. In my first test, the first parts popped up almost instantly, but the photos didn't come up after another 20 to 30 seconds. (although when I tried it again just now, the whole thing came up almost instantly - perhaps the search results are cached?)

There are a lot of things we're playing with regarding search internally. But it's currently 4th on the list behind 3 other bigger and more important changes.

But 4th is quite high up there, so stay tuned...

Don