Options

Interface issue after the new release

lcavalielcavalie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 24, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have an issue with the new version.
This afternoon I had some customers (3) who reported to me they tried to buy my pictures online and nothing happened.
So I tried to understand what happened because at the same time i had some orders so I doubted smugmug was down.
After trying myself to buy a photo from my site I think i found what happens.
In the new version when you click on the 'buy this photo' button a small window pop up at the top left corner of the screen with the text 'added to cart' inside, then disappear.
It's good because it's fast but it's wrong because it's not noticeable enough.
I'm quite sure that what happened it that my customers clicked on the button, did not noticed the pop-up and assumed that it was not working.

I think there are different issues here :
- First the 'buy this photo' should rather be labelled 'add to cart' as it is actually what it does.
- Second the pop-up should not appear in the top left corner of the screen but maybe somewhere closer to the button which it is related to, maybe inside the picture.

Is there a way to change those two things through the customization ?

I'm afraid smugmug and us (the pros) will lose some sales because of that. It happened to two of my customers (ok they might not be genius but not more stupid then the average person either).
Myself, when I tested the process tonight, I clicked twice on the buy button before noticing the pop-up. When I looked in the cart I had twice the same picture. Pretty confusing.

I think it's important.

Thanks for your advice on ways to avoid that to happen again and make the interface more clear for the average user.

L
www.mindworkscreation.com
Photography and Design Studio

Pictures galleries at photo.mindworkscreation.com

Comments

• Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    lcavalie wrote:
    I have an issue with the new version.
    This afternoon I had some customers (3) who reported to me they tried to buy my pictures online and nothing happened.
    So I tried to understand what happened because at the same time i had some orders so I doubted smugmug was down.
    After trying myself to buy a photo from my site I think i found what happens.
    In the new version when you click on the 'buy this photo' button a small window pop up at the top left corner of the screen with the text 'added to cart' inside, then disappear.
    It's good because it's fast but it's wrong because it's not noticeable enough.
    I'm quite sure that what happened it that my customers clicked on the button, did not noticed the pop-up and assumed that it was not working.

I think there are different issues here :
    - First the 'buy this photo' should rather be labelled 'add to cart' as it is actually what it does.
    - Second the pop-up should not appear in the top left corner of the screen but maybe somewhere closer to the button which it is related to, maybe inside the picture.

Is there a way to change those two things through the customization ?

I'm afraid smugmug and us (the pros) will lose some sales because of that. It happened to two of my customers (ok they might not be genius but not more stupid then the average person either).
    Myself, when I tested the process tonight, I clicked twice on the buy button before noticing the pop-up. When I looked in the cart I had twice the same picture. Pretty confusing.

I think it's important.

Thanks for your advice on ways to avoid that to happen again and make the interface more clear for the average user.

L

I could not agree with you more. I had the same problem myself, did not even notice it. I had the same feedback from a few customers on that and they did not think it was prominent enough. I would love to see it changed.

Dan
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    for a minute.... I thought I was really just a dummy.
    Now it's two of us, much better
    rolleyes1.gif

Thanks

• Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    No, I don't think we're dummy's, and I agree this is important to our sales. I had no comments from customers under the old look, I had three today alone. It is confusing to the average user in my humble opinion, they just don't realize that they have added photos.

Dan
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    No, I don't think we're dummy's, and I agree this is important to our sales. I had no comments from customers under the old look, I had three today alone. It is confusing to the average user in my humble opinion, they just don't realize that they have added photos.

Dan

15524779-Ti.gif

I also didn't notice until I had added 3 pics ....eek7.gif
    the old version was great as there was no doubt what had occured and clear that you had started the purchase process...:ivar
    Hopefully when the Dgrin Gurus return after some well deserved rest
    this will be addressed and / or a workaround will be offered ...
    They've accomplished quite a bit today thumb.gif and have always been able to 'save the day' as it were clap.gif
    It's just part of the inevitable fine tuning processdeal.gif
    rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    I have made sure that someone from SM has seen this thread. thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I agree this will confuse customers. Might I also suggest that there be some sort of shopping status indicator on the page at all times that indicates the number of photos in the shopping cart.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    I agree this will confuse customers. Might I also suggest that there be some sort of shopping status indicator on the page at all times that indicates the number of photos in the shopping cart.

That is a great suggestionclap.gif
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    is it that they were missing the adding picture tab that appears briefly or was it this?

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52162
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I had no idea there were any updates at all until I saw this thread. So I went and checked my page (works in IE7 flawlessly BTW clap.gif edit: FF2.0.0.1 as well.).

I agree with the comments on the cart function. I did happen to notice the pop-up, but I think that a) having it pop near the button where the user is looking will make it more obvious, and b) having some kind of indication the cart has something in it; I'm thinking something like what newegg does (i.e., the cart display says "n items ($x.xx)" and is a link to the cart--simple & elegant). Of course, there's still the desire to be able to customize the look to match the rest of our sites as well.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    is it that they were missing the adding picture tab that appears briefly or was it this?

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52162

BOTH in my case.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. We're discussing it internally.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    I noticed the change, thank you, i think it's way less confusing now.

L

• Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    I agree, thanks Smugmug team!

Dan
    Dan

Canon Gear