Problems with Keywords and Browsing galleries

jscolesjscoles Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm a new smugmug user, love the site, just signed up yesterday and have been uploading photos like crazy. However, I've run into a few problems:

1. Keywords

I've been taging my photos with keywords and have run into some strange behavior. It started when I used the batch caption/keyword tool to add lots of keywords to a gallery with several hundred photos.

I first noticed on my homepage, that my list of top 100 keywords suddenly shrunk to about 20 keywords. Many of the new ones that I had just added were not listed. I went to the keywords page and refreshed it a few times, and suddenly all were there.

However, clicking on many of the keywords now says 'there are no photos for this keyword'. If I go back, refresh, and try again, sometimes I'll get a page with photos on it.

It 'feels like' there is some background processing going on, and that in a few hours all will be working normally, but this is rather disconcerting. The 'number of photos' when I mouse over a keyword is also inconsistent, sometimes higher as if the keywords are being added slowly in the background. Repeatedly refreshing my keywords page still causeds the keywords list to drastically change in size.

I've been trying IE6, Firefox 2, and Opera 9, with no obviously different behavior between the three.

Homepage

Keywords that are behaving strangely include "amazon rainforest", "iquitos", "explorama", and many others.

The last big batch operation I did involved setting most of the photos in the "Iquitos" gallery to have a combination of "amazon rainforest", "iquitos", and "explorama" tags.

2. Browsing galleries:

Sometimes, some of my photos do not show up in smugmug view. The thumbnails are there, but no larger photo appears. Sometimes all the photos in a gallery do this, other times just 1 or 2. Other views, like journal, show the medium-sized images just fine. It does not seem to occur with the same photos over and over. Closing and reopening the browser window sometimes fixes the problem, other times it does not.

I've cleared my browser's cache and cookies several times, but this seems to have no effect.

Any help and/or reassuring words would be appreciated!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    wave.gif and welcome - our keyword DB is a bit behind - they'll get indexed, for sure. Appreciate your patience - it might take about 3-4 days.

Your galleries are loading fine for me- try clearing cache and restarting your browser?
  • jscolesjscoles Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif and welcome - our keyword DB is a bit behind - they'll get indexed, for sure. Appreciate your patience - it might take about 3-4 days.

Thanks for the quick response! That's all I needed to hear.
    Your galleries are loading fine for me- try clearing cache and restarting your browser?

I'm still having trouble with this one. Galleries in smugmug view look just fine in IE6, but not in Firefox or Opera. In both other browsers, after clearing cache and cookies and restarting them, all of my galleries still show no large image, just thumbnails for smugmug view. :(

I've noticed that the image is actually there, just hidden somehow. I can right click where I know it should be, save it, and see it just fine from this file. Mousing over the area causes the photobar to appear with the normal options.

EDIT: Got home from work, everything is completely normal from my home computer. Normal behavior in all browsers. Must be something odd on my work machine. I'll see if I can't duplicate it somehow to see what it was.