Options

Digital Wedding Photography

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited January 31, 2007 in Technique
Ive have 11+ years experience in Medium Format Wedding Photography.
Due to raising children for the last 6 yrs, I had to give up shooting weddings.
Lately, in the back of my mind I thought about being able to go back to shooting weddings.

Two days ago , a friend called me asking if I would photograph her daughters wedding using my digital camera.

Whoa!
I am honored, but since I havent ventured into digital wedding photography yet, I m also a little hesitant.

I had a comfortable set up, using Mamiya 645, sunpak 622, and more.
Now I have a Canon Rebel XT, no flash (yet) .
When I use my digital camera I usually make a new white balance each time I use it. In which I know is important.

I guess what I need to know is -

Can I use my Sunpak 622 or 422 flash with this camera
or would it be better to get a Canon flash?

Should I go back to manual focus?

Besides my usual manual settings that I use , is there other settings I should be using?

The lab I used in the past, does digital printing (North American Photo) from a CD disk I would give them. They are saying that Raw is not needed.
Is raw needed or not ?

Also they prefer if I would download this ROES software to resize the photos. I would think that I could do the same in CS2?

I dont like to do something unless I know all of the proper info and have everything set up and comfortable for me and the customers I work for.
I never have let a Bride or Groom down.

Since this is new to me I am afraid of the change (or unknown)
which sometimes can result in unwanted mistakes.

Any advise or info is GREATLY appreciated.

Thankyou :D
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited January 23, 2007
    Pamela,

I'm a little pressed for time, and a complete answer could take very much time.

The Sunpak 622 came in 2 flavors, Super and Pro. According to the following page, they may be OK to use directly,

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

but I would rather use a Wein Safe Sync, to provide true isolation from potentially dangerous trigger voltages (unless you test the trigger voltages and determine them to be safe).

The 422 is even more dubious.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=245292&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I strongly suggest purchase of a flash with a focus-assist lamp, and I would mount it in a flip-bracket or something similar to provide seperation from the lens and centering for either camera orientation. You would also need an off-camera flash cord.

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545b6a470d2d12/shopdata/0060_Flashes/0010_Shoe+Mount+Flashes/product_details.shopscript?article=0170_Sigma%2BEF-500%2BDG%2BSuper%2BE-TTL%2BShoe%2BMount%2BFlash%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BEOS%2Bwith%2BE-TTL%2BII%2BOperation%2B%3D28SGEF500SUDCA%3D29
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=348457&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=12972&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I also suggest you look at the "better bounce card" to use with the flash, or a device like the Demb Flip-It.

http://abetterbouncecard.com/
    http://www.joedembphotography.com/flipit/
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    ziggy53
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Patch29 or Shay Stephens might have good tips for making the conversion and shooting weddings. I think Patch used to shoot film in a Mamiya too.

Manual focus with the XT's itty-bitty viewfinder is going to be hard, especially in low light. I reckon autofocus is the way to go. Again, I think Patch has tested one under working conditions, he might be able to tell you how fast it responds.

I'm no pro, not even close. But with digital's comparatively limited dynamic range, I wouldn't do the job until I had a lot of time to test and practice with the new gear.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Wow awesome find !
    Alot cheaper then what Ive paid for other s

Thankyou Ziggy
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch29 or Shay Stephens might have good tips for making the conversion and shooting weddings. I think Patch used to shoot film in a Mamiya too.

Manual focus with the XT's itty-bitty viewfinder is going to be hard, especially in low light. I reckon autofocus is the way to go. Again, I think Patch has tested one under working conditions, he might be able to tell you how fast it responds.

I'm no pro, not even close. But with digital's comparatively limited dynamic range, I wouldn't do the job until I had a lot of time to test and practice with the new gear.

wxwax

I have been using this camera for other types of photography for almost a year now. You can see this at my gallery listed below.

I will be thankful for any help in this transition.

Thankyou
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    wxwax

I have been using this camera for other types of photography for almost a year now. You can see this at my gallery listed below.

I will be thankful for any help in this transition.

Thankyou

I went to the camera store to possibly buy the Canon 580Ex flash, the salesman said that I should use the Sunpak 622.

Since I dont have the Canon 580 and never used it, would it be a mistake to use 622 or better?

Shay or Patch
    Any advice on this difficult transition?
    Thankyou
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Ziggy great information there...thanks for sharing. I will definately watch this when I get some free time. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    I went to the camera store to possibly buy the Canon 580Ex flash, the salesman said that I should use the Sunpak 622.

Since I dont have the Canon 580 and never used it, would it be a mistake to use 622 or better?

Shay or Patch
    Thankyou

I'm not Shay or Patch, but I have 3 - Sunpak 611 units, which are a fixed head handle mount flash, kinda similar to the 622. I also have 1 - Sigma 500 DG Super flash, similar in features to the Canon 580. (I have a lot more flashes, but these are pertinent to the discussion.)

The things that the Canon 580 have over the Sunpak units, and the Sigma 500 Super has for that matter, is the ability to use E-TTL II when appropriate, and a focus assist light, which is really handy when at the wedding reception and they switch to mood lighting (low light).

E-TTL II is significant because it helps prevent/reduce overexposure of subjects due to distant and/or dark background, using camera to subject distance considerations to throttle back the flash.

The hotshoe flashes are also handy for group images which have several rows of people. Used with a bracket to raise the flash, it helps put the shadows directly behind individuals, preventing many shadow conflicts in the back rows.

The Sunpak units are very durable and tend to provide a more even spread of light for wide angles, IMHO. The auto mode (standard module) is fairly accurate with most scenes, and very predictable overall. (Dark or distant backgrounds and large reflective objects can throw it off, as well as some other scenarios you may be aware of.) Manual mode is extremely nice, once you get used to it, and the range of power is phenomenal. The main problem is that digital has latitude similar to slide film, so you have to be meticulous in your procedure.

I am wary of the TTL modules available for the 622 flashes, as it doesn't seem all that accurate, according to some users. (Although there are many plausible explanations including people getting the wrong module.)(There are more instances than this one, but this instance is one I found quickly.)

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:1PXj0VA2otEJ:photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg%3Fmsg_id%3D00IB3K%26tag%3D+%2Bsunpak+%2B622+%2B%22ttl+module%22+%2Bnadine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm not Shay or Patch, but I have 3 - Sunpak 611 units, which are a fixed head handle mount flash, kinda similar to the 622. I also have 1 - Sigma 500 DG Super flash, similar in features to the Canon 580. (I have a lot more flashes, but these are pertinent to the discussion.)

The things that the Canon 580 have over the Sunpak units, and the Sigma 500 Super has for that matter, is the ability to use E-TTL II when appropriate, and a focus assist light, which is really handy when at the wedding reception and they switch to mood lighting (low light).

E-TTL II is significant because it helps prevent/reduce overexposure of subjects due to distant and/or dark background, using camera to subject distance considerations to throttle back the flash.

The hotshoe flashes are also handy for group images which have several rows of people. Used with a bracket to raise the flash, it helps put the shadows directly behind individuals, preventing many shadow conflicts in the back rows.

The Sunpak units are very durable and tend to provide a more even spread of light for wide angles, IMHO. The auto mode (standard module) is fairly accurate with most scenes, and very predictable overall. (Dark or distant backgrounds and large reflective objects can throw it off, as well as some other scenarios you may be aware of.) Manual mode is extremely nice, once you get used to it, and the range of power is phenomenal. The main problem is that digital has latitude similar to slide film, so you have to be meticulous in your procedure.

I am wary of the TTL modules available for the 622 flashes, as it doesn't seem all that accurate, according to some users. (Although there are many plausible explanations including people getting the wrong module.)(There are more instances than this one, but this instance is one I found quickly.)

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:1PXj0VA2otEJ:photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg%3Fmsg_id%3D00IB3K%26tag%3D+%2Bsunpak+%2B622+%2B%22ttl+module%22+%2Bnadine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

ziggy53

Thankyou Ziggy
    I think that I should just get the 580EX
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Thankyou Ziggy
    I think that I should just get the 580EX

The Canon 580EX with a bracket and off camera cord and a "better bounce card" for white ceilings and walls and a "scoop" reflector when the ceiling is not white or too tall to be useful. You can even half-rotate the camera and bracket when you want the light coming from the side and high.

You can still use the Sunpaks for background slaves and support lights if you purchase an optical slave or radio slave system.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    Pamela,

You will probably want to practice with your new equipment in a similar event to a wedding, but it's nice to have something with less stress.

If you have a local Boy Scout Troop, they often have Eagle ceremonies held in a church with a reception that follows. The proceedings are similar enough to a wedding that you can practice your technique and hone your skills. It makes a great "tune up" and the parents are usually very appreciative (even if not monetarily).

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Pamela wrote:

Shay or Patch
    Thankyou
    This is as far as I have gotten reading your thread...but....the sunpak 622 is perfect but do get the wein safe sync just to be sure....I have used my 622's on my Konica-Minolta 7D's with out problem and then was told I needed or should have a safe sync...so that is on my list...it is insurance as I see it.

I mount my 522's on a stroboframe RLB ( I beleive that is the correct model...had it sooo long didn't see a need to rememberr models :-} , and quick release on the flash to connect to bracket)...my main flash has the zoom head and my 2nd has a standard head (it is used as a backlight at times or I will mount both on light stands for that studio flash look)

I used to shoot weddings also with a Kiev, Yashica Mat124G (first wedding / portrait camera), and a Pentax 645....it really is not that great of transition if you don't let it be. :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    This is as far as I have gotten reading your thread...but....the sunpak 622 is perfect but do get the wein safe sync just to be sure....I have used my 622's on my Konica-Minolta 7D's with out problem and then was told I needed or should have a safe sync...so that is on my list...it is insurance as I see it.

I mount my 522's on a stroboframe RLB ( I beleive that is the correct model...had it sooo long didn't see a need to rememberr models :-} , and quick release on the flash to connect to bracket)...my main flash has the zoom head and my 2nd has a standard head (it is used as a backlight at times or I will mount both on light stands for that studio flash look)

I used to shoot weddings also with a Kiev, Yashica Mat124G (first wedding / portrait camera), and a Pentax 645....it really is not that great of transition if you don't let it be. :D

Ziggy
    Thank you
    My models have been ready and waiting since yesterday thumb.gif

Art
    Thankyou

I do have the wein safe sync, from the info I have , using the safe sync is neccesary
    I really think it is a good idea to get the 580ex at this point,(I love getting new toys) and use the 622 for other needs.:D
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Ziggy
    Thank you
    My models have been ready and waiting since yesterday thumb.gif

Art
    Thankyou

I do have the wein safe sync, from the info I have , using the safe sync is neccesary
    I really think it is a good idea to get the 580ex at this point,(I love getting new toys) and use the 622 for other needs.:D

I just ordered the Canon 580ex from b&h photo
    I used the psjan0* code for a extra savings.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    :D
    Hi Pamela

You shouldn't have a problem. Anyone that thinks the viewfinder in the XT can give you problems hasn't ever looked thru a 645.
    Manual or automatic. Auto focus or not. Either way works and seem to be used to manual. I do a lot of weddings and do a lot of manual shooting. Since you have Canon (and I don't) it reputedly has the best low level auto focus on the market. Even auto exposure is great but we all know that you have to use manual sometimes regardless of which equipment you have.
    I used to shoot Hassy's for a long time and really felt free when I converted to digital. I've never looked back. Film!! Wat's dat?? BS
    Pamela wrote:
    Ive have 11+ years experience in Medium Format Wedding Photography.
    Due to raising children for the last 6 yrs, I had to give up shooting weddings.
    Lately, in the back of my mind I thought about being able to go back to shooting weddings.

Two days ago , a friend called me asking if I would photograph her daughters wedding using my digital camera.

Whoa!
    I am honored, but since I havent ventured into digital wedding photography yet, I m also a little hesitant.

I had a comfortable set up, using Mamiya 645, sunpak 622, and more.
    Now I have a Canon Rebel XT, no flash (yet) .
    When I use my digital camera I usually make a new white balance each time I use it. In which I know is important.

I guess what I need to know is -

Can I use my Sunpak 622 or 422 flash with this camera
    or would it be better to get a Canon flash?

Should I go back to manual focus?

Besides my usual manual settings that I use , is there other settings I should be using?

The lab I used in the past, does digital printing (North American Photo) from a CD disk I would give them. They are saying that Raw is not needed.
    Is raw needed or not ?

Also they prefer if I would download this ROES software to resize the photos. I would think that I could do the same in CS2?

I dont like to do something unless I know all of the proper info and have everything set up and comfortable for me and the customers I work for.
    I never have let a Bride or Groom down.

Since this is new to me I am afraid of the change (or unknown)
    which sometimes can result in unwanted mistakes.

Any advise or info is GREATLY appreciated.

Thankyou :D
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    :D
    Hi Pamela

You shouldn't have a problem. Anyone that thinks the viewfinder in the XT can give you problems hasn't ever looked thru a 645.
    Manual or automatic. Auto focus or not. Either way works and seem to be used to manual. I do a lot of weddings and do a lot of manual shooting. Since you have Canon (and I don't) it reputedly has the best low level auto focus on the market. Even auto exposure is great but we all know that you have to use manual sometimes regardless of which equipment you have.
    I used to shoot Hassy's for a long time and really felt free when I converted to digital. I've never looked back. Film!! Wat's dat?? BS

I had a certain system, and was very comfortable with it, I have to admit Im not good with changes-
    But with time I will adjust to the new.:D
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net