Smugmug Question

klasjmklasjm Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited January 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
"I am considering opening an account with Smugmug, not only for posting here, but for a couple of other reasons. I see Smugmug as a potential alternative to backing up all my photos on a disc. Does anyone else do this? If so, can you you download Smugmug images back to your computer and are they good quality? I have been disappointed with the quality of images on another services disc. Are Smugmug's DVD images of good quality?

Any other positives or negatives to consider?"

:dunnoThis question was posed at the BMWMOA Forum Clubhouse website.

I was not sure how to answer. If you answer this, I will relay the message
Click here for more travel photos:
http://klasjm.smugmug.com/

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    Hi,

Yes the original photos can be downloaded at any stage, and the original images are provided on the backup DVD.

Signup for a 14 day free trial and check it out thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    If the primary objective is to backup the images, then I recommend something other than smugmug. There are other on-line alternatives for backup that will also save your non-JPEG images as well as other critical files (e.g., Carbonite at $5/month, which I've found very handy as it is always backing up my computer without my need to think about it).

I do consider smugmug reliable enough that it serves as a secondary backup for me. Yes, you can get the originals back. There's even a nifty utility that will allow you to easily download your originals and to embed the photo's captions and keywords into the IPTC data on download. See AlbumFetcher on this forum.

And feel free to use my referral code lspQZXj5xA7vg to save a few bucks off of smugmug :)
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    haha Pat tried to make a sale.. thumb.gif

I would HIGHLY recommend SmugMug. That is if you are talking about backing up your Image files. Smugmug keeps your files in several locations and you can sleep well at night knowing that their professionalism will always be there to better serve you. Myself, I wouldn't consider any other service! And take it from me, someone who left, got burned, and came crying back!!!

bowdown.gif

Scott
    3rd Planet Photography