Options

Picture Window

xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Finishing School
Is anyone familiar with Picture Window image editing software from Digital Light& Color? I've been using it for a short while and find that, while it certainly ain't pretty, like PhotoShop, it's very full featured, fast AND cheap. Unique features include native support for raw files and totally non-destructive editing. But the best part? All the features and tools are totally integrated! All in one place!!

Looks like a king in pauper's clothing to me. But I'm no expert, so I'd very much like to 'hear' from those-in-the-know.
X www.thepicturetaker.ca

Comments

• Options
    ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Picture Window 4 ... in my opinion
    I introduced picture window 4 as part of my workflow for the las 6 weeks. I first installed the evaluation version and guess what? I had to purchase it as I became addicted. Why would you ask? Well, here are some of the reasons...

1. Ease of use.

Are you crazy? At first, you will not find your familiar layers, tools and so on like CS3 or PSP and the like. I would compare it to the "HP calculator" version of image editing. Instead of typing 2+2=4; you re-learn to type 2 "enter" 2 "+" !!! Once you get the hang of it, Picture Window workflow is really easy ... and clever trust me. More importantly, all the menus, icons are on a single window, no fooling around, everything is accessible is one click.

2. Controls and image quality

The Pro version support full 16-bits editing. You will find all the options necessary to adjust your images, no problem at all. Picture Window calls them "transformations" like curve, saturation, color adjustment, colr correction, etc. The tools that I like the most are "color correction" and the mask capabilities. Color correction is in fact the color mechanic plug-in available for Photoshop, really cool and powerful. The mask tool is extremely powerful and fairly easy to use. The 16-bits output produce images with very little artefacts.

3. Speed

The program is super fast and very light on resources. I have an older machine (4 years old) and it is running without a problem.

There are certainly a few things that I would improve not nothing in the quality and performance area. I use Bibble as RAW converter and I basically choose to do all the adjustments other than white balance and exposure in Picture Window Pro 4. I really wish long life to this program as it has so much potential.

So spread the word, a software that simple, easy to use and powerful deserve photographer's support imho. Feel free to share your experiences, tricks, etc.
  • Options
    nmhnmh Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Is anyone familiar with Picture Window image editing software...
    I use the gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) for my editing, though if you like picture window, it sounds like you are set.
  • Options
    ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    The GIMP is good too.
    nmh wrote:
    I use the gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) for my editing, though if you like picture window, it sounds like you are set.

I used the GIMP as well, it is a very good program as well and an amazing project. I just find Picture Window more focus to photography; all the tools are customized for images and this is what I need the most. I still use the GIMP or PSP is I need to do collage or funky posters.