Options

high key photograph of my son

Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited January 24, 2007 in People
2007-01-05_14.jpg
I typically shy away from high key because lighting it for me....I just never get it right. Well this night I was testing high key with my husband (and I think I finally "got" it, and my drop was finally white (YAHOO) without me making it white in photoshop) and then I was trying it out with brother bear here. Now, here, I ended up putting him on he floor on a white throw. I love it, but I am his mother! I struggle with studio lighting since everything I know is self taught....it is taking me longer than some. Any advice, suggestions....welcomed! Hope you think Brother Bear's first "captured" smile is as enduring as me and his sisters do!
Carrie

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I don't know much about high key, but I think you captured an adorable photo here! The expression and the angle are great, IMO, and the lighting looks really nice to me. He's very sweet and the photo is definitely a keeper! clap.gif Only wish it was a little larger for viewing.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I don't know much about high key, but I think you captured an adorable photo here! The expression and the angle are great, IMO, and the lighting looks really nice to me. He's very sweet and the photo is definitely a keeper! clap.gif Only wish it was a little larger for viewing.

Elaine

Oh Thank You! I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one who thought it was a keeper. I don't have the original on this computer, I borrowed that smaller version from what I posted on my message board, but when I get the file uploaded to my smugmug account I will link it! Thanks for taking the time to look at him!
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    It is a very nice kiddie shot... Brother Bear looks happy.
    I wonder though if it is really high key. I thought that for high key, you must have more white then something else, if anyone could enlighten me on this one???
    It is a cute baby! I think most of us self thought photographers have difficulties with lighting. There is never (or so it seems) a course for that, if you can't really spend money on it.
    I have taken classes though, and by the time I have to practice it, can't remember it, or the situation is so different from the class room situation that I still have the feeling that it comes down to luck.
    Well, in my case it is luck mostly. I still have no real sight on how the exposure is going to come out when I use my flash.
    Bear is good shot! Keep doing it....