Photo sizes gone?

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited January 24, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is there something broken or someway to get the old setup back?

I had some css link for my less techincal family members which made the save original pictures link big and red and placed instructions at the top of each page to:

To save a photo right-click on "save photo" and then select "Save Target as..." or "Save Link as ..."

Now there are no such links anywhere visible on the page. I know there is the mouse over thing, which I like personally, but I would still like to see the links under the picture.

Any way to do this?
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• jbandjband Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2007
    I miss the "save photo" link too
    My friends and relatives have many times got burned at the photo finishers when they show up with a disk containing images that they 'right-click' saved. I am forever explaining that they need to click on the "save photo" link to save the original full resolution image.

The spiffy new features are fine and good. But I *really* wish the "save photo" link weren't hidden now. I don't *mind* the clutter. I fear smugmug has overestimated the web-sophistication of the people I'm trying to share photos with. Communicating that they need to click "save photo" was hard enough. Now I need to communicate that the "save photo" is now sometimes hidden and that it might appear if they hover over the image with the mouse. But, then it might go away and then they need to move the mouse out of the image and then move it back to make the button reappear. This is not making me happy :)

Please let us have a way to get our nice obvious links back.
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    jband wrote:
    My friends and relatives have many times got burned at the photo finishers when they show up with a disk containing images that they 'right-click' saved. I am forever explaining that they need to click on the "save photo" link to save the original full resolution image.

The spiffy new features are fine and good. But I *really* wish the "save photo" link weren't hidden now. I don't *mind* the clutter. I fear smugmug has overestimated the web-sophistication of the people I'm trying to share photos with. Communicating that they need to click "save photo" was hard enough. Now I need to communicate that the "save photo" is now sometimes hidden and that it might appear if they hover over the image with the mouse. But, then it might go away and then they need to move the mouse out of the image and then move it back to make the button reappear. This is not making me happy :)

Please let us have a way to get our nice obvious links back.
    First of all, thanks very much for the feedback. We read it and keep it in mind as we make changes to the site.

We know that change is hard. There may be a need to nudge some visitors to find the photobar. (Side note: MANY SmugMug users were giving their visitors step by step instructions on how to find the save photo link, as it was easily missed.)

We've found that once someone finds the photobar the first time, that's all it takes. The bigger, nicer Save Photo icon is much more noticeable for the majority of people (in our experience) than the text link hidden among keyword, caption, share this photo: links, forums blogs link, links to other sizes, etc.

Also, the expected behavior is: links are supposed to take you somewhere and icons/buttons are supposed to DO something. So, for most people the little text link was very counterintuitive.

So, although we will definitely keep considering alternatives, I don't believe we will go back to the text link for save photo. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. Sorry!

-Anne
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    So, for most people the little text link was very counterintuitive.

That is why I had it set to large red text.

Any hope to get a standalone save original link without depending on this complex hover stuff?
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    mpmcleod wrote:
    That is why I had it set to large red text.

Any hope to get a standalone save original link without depending on this complex hover stuff?
    It's still there in the other styles...