Options

.....fun in the Sun....

bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
edited January 25, 2007 in People
I have not posted in a while due to a move to a new location ....... here is a quick pix from nearby new abode

125181430-L.jpg
Cheers...... Big Pix
Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
www.bigpix.smugmug.com
Please do not EDIT
my Images

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Very nice...wish I couldn've seen the sun in the picture too. But nonetheless, a great shot!thumb.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Great shot! thumb.gif Can I suggest just three areas where I think the final image might be improved?

I'd lose the lettering (very distracting and unnecessary), move the subjects lower in the frame (rule of thirds, and all that jazz), and remove the sliver of land or other non-water subject in the top left hand corner (also distracting).

Cropping at the bottom will deal to the first two issues, and a thin crop at the top will fix the other - like this, maybe?

125181430-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    Great shot! thumb.gif Can I suggest just three areas where I think the final image might be improved?

I'd lose the lettering (very distracting and unnecessary), move the subjects lower in the frame (rule of thirds, and all that jazz), and remove the sliver of land or other non-water subject in the top left hand corner (also distracting).

Cropping at the bottom will deal to the first two issues, and a thin crop at the top will fix the other - like this, maybe?

125181430-L.jpg

thank you for your comments....... and please do not take the liberty of altering anymore of my images...... in regard to the rule of thirds, it is only a guide not a rule.

It is up to the photographer to chose how an image is to be displayed, different people will view or display the same image in many different ways, this is only a small part that makes us all different and every one views things with a different point of view

Next time you decide to alter an image, check with the owner of said image, as I class this as an infringement of my copyright.
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    My sincere apologies. I had no intention to offend or to purloin your rights. Your reaction raises some interesting issues, however. I trust my comments were of interest to you, even if you feel the depiction to explain them wasn't in order.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    My sincere apologies. I had no intention to offend or to purloin your rights. Your reaction raises some interesting issues, however. I trust my comments were of interest to you, even if you feel the depiction to explain them wasn't in order.

thank you for the apology...... but after 45 years as a Commercial Advertising Photographer I know how I like my images to look....... this does not please every one, as the rest of the world sees things different to me, and this is I guess, is part of what makes us all different...... but I only have to please myself not the rest of the world.......

on other forums you have a choice when posting if you agree to your image to be reworked or not....... or permission from the original poster of said thread.....

copyright is another issue....... public forum or not
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    bigpix wrote:
    Next time you decide to alter an image, check with the owner of said image, as I class this as an infringement of my copyright.
    it's pretty routine around here, and folks are only trying to help, or solidify, or learn. Not once has anyone claimed "breach of copyright" - yes, you are entitled to not have your images "modified" here - Put a message in your signature saying so, and state so in your image postings. But, may I suggest, "what's the harm?"

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    it's pretty routine around here, and folks are only trying to help, or solidify, or learn. Not once has anyone claimed "breach of copyright" - yes, you are entitled to not have your images "modified" here - Put a message in your signature saying so, and state so in your image postings. But, may I suggest, "what's the harm?"

ear.gif

thankyou Andy I have changed my signature as requested....... "what is the harm?"...... to change an image you change what was the original intention of the original poster....... in this case I was pointing out that I had moved, also as stated, and a shot from my new location which did not need any change, a very simple statement, using an image and some type, of where I am now located....... people should read the heading that also goes with images posted

....... maybe some guide line's on dos and dont's or a rework gallery
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    bigpix wrote:
    ....... maybe some guide line's on dos and dont's or a rework gallery

That is completely unneccesary. It doesn't bother the majority of us... we get the odd user here who is completely anal for no particular reason, and those who put absurdly large & intrusive watermarks/text over their images, but for the most part everyone has no problem with a few alterations or changes. We are all here to help each other. Clearly, someone felt your image needed help. I like the change that was made, and the benefit of someone reposting and altering your image is that it educates anyone else who sees it.

That's what this board is about. Learning and helping.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Owen wrote:
    That is completely unneccesary. It doesn't bother the majority of us... we get the odd user here who is completely anal for no particular reason, and those who put absurdly large & intrusive watermarks/text over their images, but for the most part everyone has no problem with a few alterations or changes. We are all here to help each other. Clearly, someone felt your image needed help. I like the change that was made, and the benefit of someone reposting and altering your image is that it educates anyone else who sees it.

That's what this board is about. Learning and helping.

I do not mind helping when help is asked for..... but I do not change other peoples images, even if I can see an improvement, unless asked....... I am not anal, as you have stated, but I have clearly pointed out my reasons for not wanting said image changed........ changing this image does not help anyone but only gets away from the reason it was posted in its original form.
    I fail to understand why various people do not give me credit for the reason the original was posted....... it is as clear as mud on your face, so to sayne_nau.gif

let me spell it out...... the image states along with the heading that I have moved and the location and therefor does not need changing.

if people would like I will post an image for everyone to have a go at processing, changing and recropping......
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images