Options

Feedback wanted on this shot

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited January 25, 2007 in People
I'd like some feedback on this one. Personally I'm happy with it, I think it may be a bit red in skin tone. Thoughts on my composure, use of fill flash, exposure, etc. would be appreciated...

124565671-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    the lighting and composure look fine, comes back to personal taste, but with the colour, it is hard to give final judgmennt on colour as to the way various moniters are set up and output the final colour. One can only judge colour on a profiled moniter for a correct result. My screen is profiled and the colour of your image appears a little on the red side........ hope this helps
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    doug, this shot is exposed and lit extremely well. not dramatic or anything, but it seems perfect for the mood. the catchlights in the eyes seem just right, not too much. Like you said, the color needs addressing, but otherwise, great shot.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I find this just a little underexposed. The composition would be a little better if the two lovely ladies were not on the "same level". If they had been just a little offset, the shot would have been a little more dynamic.

With reference to the color, exposure, etc, here's what I was able to do in a quick couple of minutes. Hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll be happy to remove it.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Ok you wanted some feedback....I think it's a little too red. Here I tweeked it a bit in Photoshop.
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Add a touch of magenta and I think Seneca's got it.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Nice, thanks everyone!
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I like what Seneca did to the picture - excellent picture - nice smiles - great capturing emotion ! :)
    - jr
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Hmmm... personal opinion: I think the original with a little less red would feel better. The exposure adjusted shots feel off - blown out is too harsh a judgement - maybe a little too hot is the right phrase. {I just updated my Huey... so I feel confident in that *personal* opinion. rolleyes1.gif}

As for the mood and shot - I like it. The composure has a traditional element to it - but could also be good timing. The fill is excellent, as is the other elements of the lighting. bowdown.gif

The only thing a little bit off is the thumb in the lower right - but not enough to worry about I'd say.
    --Kres
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I have to jump on the *lessen the red* group on this one. I like the photo alot, but the red jumps out at me. I think somewhere between Scott's and Seneca's rendition looks great.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I love the emotion you captured. The reds been said.
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I have to jump on the *lessen the red* group on this one. I like the photo alot, but the red jumps out at me. I think somewhere between Scott's and Seneca's rendition looks great.
    Decided to give it a shot...
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I think Scott was on the right track as they seem slightly underexposed and over-saturated. Lower the saturation and see how you like it.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I think Scott was on the right track as they seem slightly underexposed and over-saturated. Lower the saturation and see how you like it.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I took my best shot at it without knowing the people in the shot. It's so hard to get the skin tones right if you don't know what kind of skin you're working with.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Thanks guys...I took the "curve" approach in photoshop 7.0....also tweaked the colors a tad bit. Scott good job.