Let the Party Begin...
Taken 01/13/2004
14167742-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    giggle, giggle.

A southern party needs a good rifle and fireworks.......?

I don't know, I am sure enjoying some of these.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Hmmm don't know if I can find either of those...:D

ginger_55 wrote:
    giggle, giggle.

A southern party needs a good rifle and fireworks.......?

I don't know, I am sure enjoying some of these.

ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Good idea Judy
    judyfuess wrote:
    Here is a first try. Any opinions?

Let the Party Begin...
    Taken 01/13/2004
    14167742-L.jpg

The sparkeling beads give the pictures a sort of effervescence. Great effect. I think the purple border my be a little too wide. I feel like it draws my eye away from the picture. I also find the corkscrew a little hard to see. Maybe if the beads were pulled a little away from the center it would be better. Just little nits though, I think you've done a great job. Just needs a little refining.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    What a fun idea! I like the concept, but I am having a hard time seeing the corkscrew and the glasses. I don't have any ideas for the corkscrew ( I think Snappy's idea is good), but maybe have the glasses upright with beads at the base and beads inside them flowing out. ne_nau.gif

I think you're on to something! thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Great idea and good color set up. I can understand what others are saying about not seeing all the objects... I have an old ibook and the monitor is not that great so i didn't even see the corkscrew at first. You could try a different angle or change your light source. You could even crop the shot and highlight common features.

Hope this helps. Remember, I am new at this and I'm trying to help and learn at the same time.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    I found the corkscrew and the glasses, once I knew to look for them. My monitor is turned up to see almost what Snappy can see. But I still missed them entirely last night.
    Between this and finding the bobcat...........haven't seen Waldo yet.
    I feel bad:cry that I don't have any suggestions. I would imagine the answer might lie with color and the bead arrangement, but I don't know.
    It really is a fun idea!! I love the colors and allthumb.gif , but the corkscrew and glasses don't show up.

looking forward to seeing what happens with it.

(Don't drink all the champaign)1drink.gif
    ginger:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Thank you for all of the comments. I hope to have some time this week to retake the pictures.

In the meantime, I was able to make it to the beach today to play some volleyball. It was a beautiful day down there. I got some great shots of my friends..

What do you think of this set? Do the shots seem to go together?

Volleyball Fun in Santa Barbara - Taken 01/16/2004

14312761-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    What do you think of the volleyball set? Do they seem to go together?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    judyfuess wrote:
    I think its better than the party set. It had too much of the same colors and I thought it was hard to look at.

I like the volleyball set. The frame/background you have selected seems to go well with the pics. The shots are nice and overall it looks good to me. I think I might look for a different shot for the center, One with the players in it. The empty volleyball "court" bothers me a little in that I dont quite think it goes with the others.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    judyfuess wrote:
    I like it. I am also not feeling the middle shot though. Do you have one of someone over the net just about to slam the ball or something? The third photo I think should be flipped so he's facing inward too. I do like this better than the first set you did. It makes me want to get out and play again! :D

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 18, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    The sparkeling beads give the pictures a sort of effervescence. Great effect. I think the purple border my be a little too wide. I feel like it draws my eye away from the picture. I also find the corkscrew a little hard to see. Maybe if the beads were pulled a little away from the center it would be better. Just little nits though, I think you've done a great job. Just needs a little refining.
    thumb.gif

Would the corkscrew and the glasses be more visible if the background behind the beads was white rather than dark blue?

I also agree that the border is too wide and too distracting. I think there are possibilites here - They just need some tweaking 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    Interesting idea... I have been trying to get home early to get these shots.. hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow :D
    pathfinder wrote:
    Would the corkscrew and the glasses be more visible if the background behind the beads was white rather than dark blue?

I also agree that the border is too wide and too distracting. I think there are possibilites here - They just need some tweaking 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    I have some other shots I will try.... Thanks for the ideas!

landrum wrote:
    I like it. I am also not feeling the middle shot though. Do you have one of someone over the net just about to slam the ball or something? The third photo I think should be flipped so he's facing inward too. I do like this better than the first set you did. It makes me want to get out and play again! :D
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    I retook the party shots with a lighter background. I also used a different cork screw and repositioned the wine glasses.

Still working on the beach stuff :)
    What do you think? I think the wine glasses came out better, and the coloring isn't so harsh. What do you think of the cork screw openers?

14491683-L.jpg
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    I Love the beach shots! I do agree that the center shot needs a little more action to go along with the other two. Also I like how you've revised the party shots. I definately like the third one the best. Keep it up!---Jenny---
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 19, 2005
    I prefer the beach shots also even with the lighter background. I think the right image of the beach shots needs to be flipped 10 horizontally. And I agree, you need someone spiking the ball over the net for the center image thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    Thanks for the comments!! :D

Here is one new version of the beach shots. I went vertical this time because I didn't have a net in the top shot. It didn't seem to balance very well horizontal. I didn't flip the one on the right for this set, it seemed better to have everybody looking the same way when I put it vertical.

Any thoughts or comments?

14495743-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Here is another beach set... less focus on the volleyball, more focus on the beach theme...

What do you think? Is this any better?

14540602-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    judyfuess wrote:
    Here is another beach set... less focus on the volleyball, more focus on the beach theme...

What do you think? Is this any better?

14540602-M.jpg
    I think I like this one the best! The scenic view of the net fits in here with the shells in the sand and that guy that missed the olympic team by thiiiis much! rolleyes1.gif

I like your presentation too.

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Thanks!! I think I like this one better too :D He will be excited that you thought he was almost olympic material rolleyes1.gif

landrum wrote:
    I think I like this one the best! The scenic view of the net fits in here with the shells in the sand and that guy that missed the olympic team by thiiiis much! rolleyes1.gif

I like your presentation too.