Options

? Mount flash to tripod/monopod

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited January 13, 2005 in Accessories
Does anyone know where to find a hotshoe adapter that will allow me to mount my flash on a tripod or monopod? I've googled and searched the forum, but can't seem to find anything. I want to use this setup as a second flash for some wedding shots, using the wireless feature of the 580EX & a 420EX. I recently saw a pro using a similar setup on a monopod. His assistant would move it around on the monopod for additional lighting for group shots. Does anyone have any experience with this technique?
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Did your Canon flash come with the mini-stand? It is threaded on the bottom and can easily be mounted onto a monopod, etc. It is not the smallest mount, but it will work well.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Here are a few from B+H. There are a lot more out there, sometimes they are easier to find in a store. If you come to Atlanta, Showcase Photo, often has a lot of these types of odds and ends around.
    Lindahl Locking Shoe Only

Mfr# 391006 • B&H# LILS ****

Our Price:
    $ 19.95
    Stroboframe Flash Mount Adapter - Standard Shoe Type

Mfr# 300SHO • B&H# STFMS ****

Our Price:
    $ 11.95
    Lastolite Tilthead Umbrella Adapter with Flash Shoe

Mfr# XLAST011 • B&H# LATHFS ****

Our Price:
    $ 42.50
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 13, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Does anyone know where to find a hotshoe adapter that will allow me to mount my flash on a tripod or monopod? I've googled and searched the forum, but can't seem to find anything. I want to use this setup as a second flash for some wedding shots, using the wireless feature of the 580EX & a 420EX. I recently saw a pro using a similar setup on a monopod. His assistant would move it around on the monopod for additional lighting for group shots. Does anyone have any experience with this technique?

Like Patch said - Right in the side pocket in the nylon case the 580EX or the 420EX came in is a little shoe with a 1/4x20 threaded hole for mounting on a tripod. I keep one mounted on an old tripod for use as a light stand all the time.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Like Patch said - Right in the side pocket in the nylon case the 580EX or the 420EX came in is a little shoe with a 1/4x20 threaded hole for mounting on a tripod. I keep one mounted on an old tripod for use as a light stand all the time.
    Thanks Patch & Path. Geeze, I don't even know if I know where the flash case is for my 420EX. Oh well, I'll look when I get home. I need to order the 580EX soon. I have been talked into shooting a wedding in May (on the weekend of the Yosemite trip :cry ) I'm sure you guys will be having alot more fun than me.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com