Lens for product photography advice

QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited February 12, 2007 in Cameras
Hi,

A friend of mine just asked me to help him take pictures of a new product he'd like to promote. It is the size of a sunglass case.

I'm used to taking people photos so this is a new adventure for me.

I have a Canon 20D and the following lens:

16 - 35
28 - 135
70 - 200

I also have a tripod.

Can I do it with those or do you think I need something else? Anything else I would need?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 25, 2007
    Anything else I would need?

product photography = light box or light tent.

searching here on dgrin, we have several DIY threads on the topic:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adgrin.com+light+tent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Your lenses will work fine
    The 28-135 will work perfectly but you will need a light tent (best option). RPS studio makes light tents, cool lighting (55K) w/fixtures. Many here have made their own tents. With the proper amount of soft lighting one may use colored construction paper for a seamless background found at any craft store. Use a tripod (a must) and would suggest using a remote shutter release. Take care with your DOF as your angle of product placement could give you front of product in focus and loose the back half. Shooting at a higher f/stop (say f/9 or so) will work fine as long as you place the product towards the front of your backdrop. Watch for shadows and illuminate your subject well. It's really alot of fun. Oh, make certain to turn off your IS when mounted on the tripod..don't ask.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Thank you, Erik & Swartzy for the handy advice. :)

You guys a so cool!
    edited January 25, 2007
    Oh, make certain to turn off your IS when mounted on the tripod..don't ask.

I have to ask... why do I have to turn off the IS when the camera is mounted on a tripod? headscratch.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Quitarita wrote:
    I have to ask... why do I have to turn off the IS when the camera is mounted on a tripod? headscratch.gif

Tripoded camera with IS or VR on will cause the IS or VR to try to creatre vibratation to remove....if hand held then it doesn't have to create the movement ......

Also with what ever lens you decide to use finds its aperature sweet spot and use that for your DOF....the sweet spot is the aperature tht the lens is the sharpest...normally somewhere between f5.6 and 8.....this will create the sharpest images your lens and camera can produce.

For a light tent, I have use flat white bed sheets supended fron the ceiting with a clamp ( I have some plastic pliers type clamps)...find the center of the sheet and place clamp there hang from ceiling or in aa inner doorway with a cup hook and 25 - 50 pund fishing line...also use the fishing line to stretch the corners our tight to the floor.....now using 2 small saw horses to hold a piece of clear or black plexiglass for the base......this will allow you to light from top sides and bottom at the same time using incandescent (household lamps) clamp fixtures......or...... I suggest 500 flood or halogen watt lamps...and they do get hot...but you should be able to pick up your halogen yard lights with fixtures for under $15 at wally world or such, then rig them with clamps to mount where needed....should be able to construct a simple light stand for them out of conduit........

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Tripoded camera ...
    all of those answers are right on thumb.gif

For a light tent, ...
    Quita, for something only as small as a sunglass case, you don't need to make anything nearly as ambitious as Art just described! Sounds like a great setup, Art, but a little overkill.

I literally made a tent on top of my dining room table by wrapping some tissue paper (left over from christmas) around a small tripod. I placed the subject, a watch in this case on top of some white posterboard and lit from above/side with my remote triggered speedlight (A desk lamp would work just fine, but the flash is "whiter").

Here's the result from my very penny-tech tent:

119875466-M-1.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 30, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Tripoded camera with IS or VR on will cause the IS or VR to try to creatre vibratation to remove....if hand held then it doesn't have to create the movement ......
    Depends on the lens. Some have a 2 stage IS (70-200 f/2.8L IS) that is tripod sensing and can be left on even when mounted.
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Lens
    I use both a 70-200 and a 17-40,on a 5D for close-up work. I also use extension rings (Kenko), I highly recomend them. Here is a pic of a car model shot at 85mm w/12mm extension. I used a 580ex flash on a tripod off to the side with a diffuser cover. Camera mounted on another tripod. A reflector disk propped up on the opposite side. An off-white tablecloth on a cardtable infront of a white wall. Also some tiny christmas bulbs for color reflections. The extension rings really help get close.

122722666-L.jpg

I shot at 13 sec at f22at ISO 50 W/Flash Good Luck!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Quitarita,

I just did some lens, aperture, test yesterday for shooting products.

My tests showed a visibly sharper image capture using a remote switch, mirror lock-up, and f11. (Tripod of course.)

I would try and use ether your 19-35, or 70-200. My 28-135 lens was less than stellar compared to my other lenses for this application. In fact, for this test my cheapo 50 1.8 was the sharpest.

Lighting will be the most important thing. Depending on the texture, color, and reflections of the object it can be pretty simple or more complex. Especially with a home made lighting setup.

Shoot RAW, and if possible use a gray card for the first shot to get the white balance spot on.

If your going to use this on the web with a white background use a white background, paper, cloth, etc, meter for the object, and don’t worry about blowing out the white. In fact unless the product is very light you have to blow out the white to get a good exposure. Concentrate on the subject.

Good luck,

Sam

I am trying to learn how to take product photos myself, and think that lighting is the hardest issue. UPS tracking says my new store bought Alein Bees will arrive today. Yeah!!!!

Here are two practice shots to give you another idea of what you can get with cludge lighting.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    edited February 12, 2007
    Thanks so much for the advice, Erik, Jim, Sam, Scott and everyone.

My friend's product is a totally new product and he is uncomfortable with me posting up pictures (I understand).

Your examples and advice are with me and I'm taking it all in and using it - I just can't show you the results (at least not now).

Anyway, muchas gracias!!!!